Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Many in my group have that portable Zamp solar system and like it. Im still learning about it..but at least you can keep it should you sell the trailer. Also you can park in shade while setting panels up in sun.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I will (one day) be interested at the minimum to have a bit of solar to keep batteries fresh when away and dry camping. This probably for the most part will not happen too often to matter much yet with our kids these days...once they get bigger and we are traveling even more...and definitely when we (one day) retire, it seems really a great perk to have this option.

We have a bit of home electricity that gets to our AS parked in back yard that keeps batteries fresh and a dehumidifier running, and to crank up the fridge a day or two before a trip.

If you plan on seeing a broad number of regions of the country, it seems having both is really nice...I hope by the time later down the road I would be in the market the tech will be even further along...for now, most of our camping is in the southeast and so often we simply use alot of juice requiring generator or hookup to keep wifey, 2 small kids, and our boston terrier happy.

I simply cannot wait for the day to take off and travel for more than my standard allotted 1 week vacation at this point so as to see much more of our great country....which for me will mean generator + at the minimum a bit of solar if not a robust showing...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
semi-related....I went to our local zoo today here in Birmingham, AL....they have a small cafeteria with large outdoor kinda covered area with this large metal structure...they were doing construction up there some months ago...I noticed today they had installed along that whole long length of structure a huge series of solar panels.....I got to wondering what they powered with those and how.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
semi-related....I went to our local zoo today here in Birmingham, AL....they have a small cafeteria with large outdoor kinda covered area with this large metal structure...they were doing construction up there some months ago...I noticed today they had installed along that whole long length of structure a huge series of solar panels.....I got to wondering what they powered with those and how.
More than likely a commercial grid-tie system that produces DC voltage from the solar array and then feeds that into a bank of inverters, which then invert the DC into usable AC power for their needs. It will also feed power back into the electrical grid thru a 'smart' meter via a process called 'net metering'.

This will essentially allow the meter to go backwards if the installation is producing more power than is needed, and it gets fad back into the grid for a net reduction in the facilities electrical bill. This is only possible is your state has a net metering law that requires the power company to buy back any excess electricity produced by large scale photo-voltaic installations. Many states like FL are not only on a program like this, but are actually hostile to them. YMMV!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
SOLAR or GENERATOR? That is the question for Boondockers...

Big thread....

I will ignore all that has been posted til now and answer short and sweet .

In general, if a person wants to have air conditioning, a generator is needed, if not solar is a fine alternative...

(But it is possible to have both)

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Alabama is of no help - but they still have a tax credit for wood fire as primary heating source.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Don't forget the coal tax credit!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #28

usa , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickBamb View Post
I think you are absolutely right..Generator is far more effective..solar kits are less efficient and expensive too..
Anybody out there opting for solar power and making a mistake..
DerickBamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
No mistake here. Great option to have, for me.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickBamb View Post
Anybody out there opting for solar power and making a mistake..
Quite the opposite. We didn't think we wanted it after reading about it here, but our new Airstream already had it on from the factory.

Surprise, this really beats messing with the gas, cable, noise and nuisance of a generator if you can live with the amount of power it supplies. Air conditioning is the big difference. We travel in moderate climates, took the generator/gas can on our first trip and didn't use it. Now leave it at home.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is really a matter of climate and geography of the ASer. I need both, as I most often camp in deep forest. I have a 160watt portable panel, so I can "chase" the sun around the site. This extends the time between needed generator usage. But if I am in the same spot more than 4 or 5 days, (depending on clouds, trees, temps, site configuration etc.) the generators are still needed.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #32
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
One Honda 2000 won't run the air conditioner that comes standard in Airstreams.

I just recently saw a video about an Australian offroad camper with a 12 volt air conditioning system. It is a split design, with the compressor outside and the blower under the bed. No other details, but since there is tons of room for batteries under the front bed in our AS it's an interesting thought. We're just starting our third week in the AS this year ( we're hurricane belt refugees) and I just bought a Zamp 200 charging setup. Meant I had to buy a tonneau cover for the truck to store the Zamp. But I already wanted a tonneau cover, so that worked out well.

I've installed a 800 watt solar plus 400 watt wind system on our boat for the past two years. Golf cart batteries, MPPT and PWM solar controllers, battery monitor etc. We also have two diesels with alternators on the boat, plus a Honda 2000 backup. We've found that having alternate sources of power is a good approach. My intention is to add a portable gen to the mix with the Airstream, and we like the Honda, but if the generator is going to live under the tonneau cover, it's really not that important that it be that portable. I'm considering whether or not to get a bigger generator than the 2000.

Having both solar and aux generator means that we're covered when we get four cloudy days in a row ( last week in northern Colorado, for example) and can also camp in shady spots, like under big trees or near canyon walls. The separate solar means that I can position the cells out in the sun and orient them in the best direction. Not having a dedicated solar PV system screwed to the top of the Airstream means I am not tied to current technology, and can easily change as solar develops. And putting the tonneau cover on the truck means I can slide the solar and generator in there and not worry about screw holes or weight on the airstream.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
We ordered solar on our '13 International 28 with the intention of buying a pair of Honda 2000 watt generators. However, as of now we have not felt a need for them and the solar panels have been adequate. I would say over half our time traveling we have dry camped but normally for 2-3 days at a time before moving again. I really think the big issue is whether one needs AC. We have been in moderate to cooler temps most of the time and only used are AC twice.

I know the factory AC is not highly regarded but we have been pleased so far. One of the only things on our Airstream that has been trouble free.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sometimes Solar is not enough when boondocking

After 8 years in our 2006 Safari with the small solar panel, it served us well for conservative, former tent off the grid campers. We were careful for the power usage while camped in the trailer. Eventually after a week, the batteries might be at 80% of capacity and eventually slowly degrade. My wife monitored the percentages every day.

Using the shower was a no no... as we could "cowboy shower" with a face towel and half a gallon of water from a five gallon jug in the back of the pickup. Too much power needed to run a shower and the loss of water was 2.5 gallons versus .5 gallon for a pan and wash cloth. This takes a conscious effort to preserve our fresh water. Being near a river or lake... jump in.

When boondocked and the temperature drops into uncomfortable inside the trailer... the furnace is the power hog. We would connect the trailer to our idling pickup to keep from draining the batteries. The cost per minute of fuel for the pickup providing 12 volt current is high. (We were stuck in Goodland, Kansas in a blizzard three years ago to test this for real!) This is probably the ONLY time we had to depend on a generator and did not have one. The solar panel and batteries would be exhausted and without power, no heat and then concern of the water lines freezing comes to mind.

For those who went from back country tent camping to an Airstream... you do not lose good conservative habits of survival. Camped anywhere in an Airstream is really more than most people in world would consider a luxury beyond comprehension. I think we all agree on that.

At high elevation and as you go north the "warm/hot" seasons are much shorter. This year... very short. We have softened a bit and actually will stop at a RV Park, plug in, clean up and move on for a break while going from point to point. We did not buy the Airstream to visit a hundred others at a campsite. It is just not in our DNA. Nothing wrong with RV parties... but we bought the trailer for more comfort and longer back country camping. The trailer limits WHERE, but what a luxury to be able to use!

Some posters confuse camping in Miami, Florida having the same needs as camped off the grid in Jackson, Wyoming in the Grand Tetons. You must consider one person's comments from their perspective. You visualize YOUR situation and apply it to MINE. You would NOT WANT TO CONFUSE YOUR CAMPING WITH OURS. But it is what we like.

Solar has its limits. Generators have... limitations. There is a big difference. Our solar in 2006 is NOT the same as 2014. What a big change, but you will never be able to afford nor haul all of the panels needed to spend a "RV Park ten days off the Grid". I know, we do it every year.

Having Solar AND a Generator solves it all. Having Solar Panel(s) has most needs covered. Having a Generator solves OUR camping situation. Sure, spending $1,500, $4,000 or whatever on a Solar System might work for some of you. I opted this time for $1000 and will have years to figure out IF Solar will be part of OUR power needs. Maybe it will... but I am going to run with this Generator to find out what I do not know for short comings.

This is not a Green or "Smelly Generator" issue. This is using what options that exist today that work for each person's needs.

Some Airstream owners would not make it two days off the grid. Why would I say that... there are other trailer brand owners that discovered campgrounds and RV Parks are safer and fit their life style. Solar to a RV Park camper is not needed. I expected more criticism from from this post than received, thank you. This is NOT a right or wrong issue. It is intended to get input from experienced individuals. I have used Solar for 8 years. It had its limitations as I know them. This time around we did not have Solar on the trailer and will try a generator when necessary. It could be over kill... but the cost is less than mounted solar. Maybe a portable small panel will be in the future, but the costs will be considered as an important factor.

Pioneers of this country had NO Solar and/or Generator and survived. Please do not judge each individual's unique needs. Express your experience(s) and why or why not or both. I am sure 90% of Forum members would not want to camp as I camp. I have used Solar. Now a generator. I WILL follow this thread and comment when I find my limitations. Ten days is not enough time to discover what else, if anything, I need for powering the trailer. Sure enough, if something comes up, I will post it.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
With the new technology available from 'hybrid' inverters, you can now use a small, quiet generator like a Honda or Yamaha 2000 to run a roof A/C by supplementing the A/C's power requirements with your battery bank and hybrid inverter.

Of course, a properly designed and installed solar charging system is required. And like Ray states, many folks just move when the climate gets too hot and needs A/C.

I have set up several trailers that use robust solar/battery combinations with marine-based appliances that minimize the need for propane and allow the owners to stay off-grid as long as they like.......limited only by things like water, food and waste rank capacities.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"...limited only by things like water, food and waste rank capacities."

Only the nose knows!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Love auto correct!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Solar vs generator...the saga continues...

[QUOTE=lewster;1510781]With the new technology available from 'hybrid' inverters, you can now use a small, quiet generator like a Honda or Yamaha 2000 to run a roof A/C by supplementing the A/C's power requirements with your battery bank and hybrid inverter.

Of course, a properly designed and installed solar charging system is required. And like Ray states, many folks just move when the climate gets too hot and needs A/C.

I have set up several trailers that use robust solar/battery combinations with marine-based appliances that minimize the need for propane and allow the owners to stay off-grid as long as they like.......limited only by things like water, food and waste rank capacities.

We just finished 3 trips in MT and Utah with our new 25' FC....the portable 80W seemed to do a good job of keeping the batteries toped off, but in Zion, we needed Air....I had access to power in the Federal Park luckily, so no issue...but I think after reading excellent input like others have stated and yours regarding both types of power, I think the generator is also needed as back up for sure for any serious boon docking...I am going to look into propane powered so I can use quick disconnect on front of trailer and avoid the issues of carrying extra gas...Thanks for your expert advice to all!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The quick disconnect may not have the proper pressure to operate a propane generator. Just a heads up to check before you purchase.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The quick disconnect may not have the proper pressure to operate a propane generator. Just a heads up to check before you purchase.

The tri fuel manufacturer I checked with said it was no problem with their setup. They make both high and low pressure kits.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote