Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking

Old 01-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Ziggy2... excellent!

If we find your camped somewhere, can we watch movies at your place?

Old 01-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We boondock most of the time and found solar to do everything we need. I do carry a 35 year old honda em600 for back up. Typically in 2 months in FL we will use about a gallon of gas. WE tend to camp in forests so sometimes we will be a little short on sun.

The generator requires maintenance like oil changes and other things.
The solar also requires maintenance, but any competent person with a bottle of Windex can do it

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Solar panels and generators.

We boondock in the Ca. and AZ deserts. Which means there are two short seasons where the weather is not hot as heck or cold as ice.

We replaced out the two 12 volt batteries with a big moho battery. The panel will keep it mostly full but lags a bit when we are running the furnace and the sun isn't out.

In winter we bring along a Honda 1000 to top off the battery when needed or run the computer to watch a movie.

In summer it's two 2000's for A/C if required.

Spent a lot of years in the desert in tents and vans. Now it's all about comfort.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #18
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://www.katv.com/story/28766251/l...ed?config=H264

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:36 AM   #19
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
For those who can be comfortable in without A/C in the summer inside of one of these hot boxes,,,,, well you are a better man than I.

Hat tip-

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
We bought a generator with the Airstream because we thought that was the way to go, and soon discovered we didn't really like it that much. Too much futzing around with setting it up, carrying fuel, listening to it (however muffled), etc. So we sprung for solar, for about the same price. It just sits on the top of the roof and keeps our batteries charged day in and day out. We love our solar and now just fire up our generator in our garage whenever it occurs to me that it hasn't been run for a while. I rationalize keeping it because someday all the power to the house might go out and it would be better than candles (maybe).

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Please fire that generator up well OUTSIDE the garage. Carbon monoxide poisoning can ruin you....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
Good thread here. I bought a Honda 2000i for our full-timing needs and so far it's been very good for us, especially when we're dry camping for days. Still, we'd like to investigate solar down the road. But the thing that puzzles me is reading how many here can go days without draining their two 12v batteries (<12v). I can't figure out why my batteries go <12v after one night of minimal use. We don't use the furnace at night and just go with more blankets. Our 2005 International doesn't have LED lights but would that alone drain my batteries so quickly? I have to run the Honda the following morning to charge up my new Interstate deep cycle batteries. I'd appreciate any advice or a link to answer my question.

Thx, Jeff
Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Solar panels and generators.

We boondock in the Ca. and AZ deserts. Which means there are two short seasons where the weather is not hot as heck or cold as ice.

We replaced out the two 12 volt batteries with a big moho battery. The panel will keep it mostly full but lags a bit when we are running the furnace and the sun isn't out.

In winter we bring along a Honda 1000 to top off the battery when needed or run the computer to watch a movie.

In summer it's two 2000's for A/C if required.

Spent a lot of years in the desert in tents and vans. Now it's all about comfort.

Hi, Milo; What battery did you use? Size, number Etc. And did this battery fit in the factory battery box or somewhere else?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastas View Post
Good thread here. I bought a Honda 2000i for our full-timing needs and so far it's been very good for us, especially when we're dry camping for days. Still, we'd like to investigate solar down the road. But the thing that puzzles me is reading how many here can go days without draining their two 12v batteries (<12v). I can't figure out why my batteries go <12v after one night of minimal use. We don't use the furnace at night and just go with more blankets. Our 2005 International doesn't have LED lights but would that alone drain my batteries so quickly? I have to run the Honda the following morning to charge up my new Interstate deep cycle batteries. I'd appreciate any advice or a link to answer my question.

Thx, Jeff
You are discharging them below 12v? Do you check the voltage after you have charged them with the generator? If so, what is that voltage. Sounds to me like you are discharging them too much and not fully recharging them.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:

Thx, Jeff
Jeff,

How old are your batteries, what type and what size? What are you using as a charging source. All of these factors may be contributing to your reduced battery capacity (not to mention your battery load profile).

If you are constantly drawing them below 12VDC and never recharging them completely, they are probably sulfated and showing this reduction in capacity. Liquid lead acid batteries can sometimes be brought back to to a level close to their original capacity by a process known as 'equalization', which places a specific overcharge voltage on the batteries to 'scrub the plates' of the sulfur crystals. It also should not be done until the batteries are freshly charged.

Your local battery shop may be able to perform this procedure for you, and can also test them for capacity.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:

Thx, Jeff

Hate to admit to such a newbie mistake, but the first few trips I would pull out the brake cable from its plug on the AS to get it unhooked from my truck, and just leave it draped over the propane tanks because I was going to hook it up again in the morning anyway. I didn't realize pulling out this plug caused 10-15 amps to flow through the brakes, which of course will drain the battery in a hurry. The funny thing is, dumb though this might be, it's hard to imagine I'm the only person in the history of Airstream to ever do this. AS had no idea why my battery was draining and eventually replaced the battery. I eventually figured it out for myself.

If nothing else, get yourself one of those clamp on amp gauges from Sears or somewhere and you will at least know how much current is flowing through your batteries when you think everything is shut off.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
With 2 new group 27 batteries from Walmart we stayed in Glacier NP with no hookups for 4 days. The batteries were still good, but a bit lower of course. We were careful with lights and stingy with water usage and managed fine. Now with the same batteries 4 yrs old we've gone 2 days and all's well. Haven't had the need to go beyond the 2 days so can't say if they would hold up for 4 or not.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have both and believe there is a place for both. The generator for me is most importantfor when the AC is needed in the summer. I also like the fact that I can use a single generator to operate most equipment during the day therefore saving the solar for quite hours.