Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2015, 05:50 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
About 2 weeks ago I installed 3 120 watt flexible panels, 360 watts. They weigh 4 lbs. each. I've got my inverter on order so haven't installed that yet. However, I disconnected my converter and haven't needed it since then as my solar recharges my batteries every day...and that's with my furnace running every night with its 12v 9 amp fan blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
And just in case you're wondering where to put the various solar components, batteries, inverter, etc.......here are a couple of shots from recent installations:

The first is from a 30 classic that has everything placed under the front lounge and the second is a 27FB with everything forward of the bulkhead under the bed.....essentially in the front storage compartment.

These are both 'in-progress' shots and do not have finished wiring in loom, wrap-tied and in place.
Attached Images

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
morgan hill , California
I got a link from a GoPower tech that is interesting. A sponsored project report. Try going to
GoPower! Solar Flex Installation Video | 1960 Airstream Ambassador Blog!
See if that helps you. It is what I may follow.
1greengarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I have 500 watts of flex panels (NOT Go Power) and while they fulfil my solar charging needs, they have between 60-70% of the output of the hard panels that they replaced.

The specifications on the panel labels are at STC, or standard test conditions, which are only found in the lab. Flex panels have lower output, especially in low light or transient lighting situations due to their design and higher heat retention caused by lack of bottom ventilation.

Just something to consider.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 03-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Los Angeles , California
We have 2 160 W panels and upgraded to the lifeline batteries and a 1000w inverter. We were off grid in San Simeon a few weeks ago, had the tv, all the lights, speakers, outside lights and the heater on. The batteries were at 60% at 7am. They were at 100% by noon, the inverter ran the Krups coffee maker with no problems.

When we priced out our options on our 2014 25ft FC, we looked at 2 2000 W generators. We went for the solar and the awning package instead. I am very happy with our decision.
NateS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #46
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I just started installing 405 Watts from AMSolar. I'll be honest, I was pricing around and thought that AMSolar was over charging on a few of their components. I was coming up a few hundred dollars less than the kit I purchased. But, I purchased it anyways and when I got it, I understand why they get such great reviews. What's included and the detail in separating things out, the small instructions, including every last nut, zip tie, connector and heat shrink tube. It was well worth it. Even that, the costs can get lost in those small details. Honestly, unpacking it was like getting a product from Apple. I am very particular about these things. I will always recommend them from now on.

I purchased 3 ~ 135 watt panels.

A matter of fact, I was more confused on how to install my 6 wire converter than I am by their kits. Lew was also a great help, and a few of the folks I follow on Instagram who have similar setups.

I think that I might be adding a 4th panel in a couple months of testing. It will either be another roof panel or a portable one I can move around on the ground.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bold, I think you may be correct to supplement with a portable panel. With you being from Anywhere, USA, you will probably find yourself in "Mirkwood, Midwest USA" under heavy deciduous cover from time to time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
How and at what point does the portable panel wiring hook into the AM Solar system?
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #49
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngpeck View Post
How and at what point does the portable panel wiring hook into the AM Solar system?
They don't.

They usually have their own charge controller attached to the back of them and alligator clips (think jumper cables). At least the ones I have book marked do. With 15ft ~ 20ft cord being common.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bold,

Screws.......do I see SCREWS????????? WHY SCREWS ????????? I NEVER use screws for an Airstream installation.....but then I use SikaFlex 221 around the rocker foot as a bit of bonding insurance and as a water seal for the VHB tape........I don't use Dicor for anything.

On the topic of portable panels, unless your portable panel is identical to what's on your roof and you can make a proper connection prior to the cable entry from the combiner box to the charge controller, it won't work.

It is better to use a stand-alone system that can connect right to your battery bank rather than trying to meld one into an existing solar charging system.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Because I'm paranoid. I am also going to put SikaFlex 715 around them when it's not 89 degrees inside my storage unit.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Because I'm paranoid. I am also going to put SikaFlex 715 around them when it's not 89 degrees inside my storage unit.
I get it!........... but after over 60 Airstream solar installations, I have NEVER had a panel lost or even out of place............and have never used a screw. Just sayin'
Old 03-10-2015, 05:51 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Lewster: I pick up my 2015 Serenity 25' AS in late April and I'm considering solar. Do you have any recommended installers in CO? I don't have time to install my own stuff. Also any thoughts on how many panels to consider installing on a 25' unit? We boondock a lot and I do have gens, but prefer not to run them very much. Any thoughts? Feel free to email at bigcgar@aol.com.

Cheers,
Al

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Bigcgar,
I would whole heartedly think about one of your first trips to visit Lewster either in Oregon this summer to get a great solar installation done. You wouldn't be the first to do it this way. I have an awesome solar/inverter/charging/battery backup system.

K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Bigcgar,

What K9CarCrate said. I made a trip last June to see Lew in Hood River. He had my solar installed in two days. I turned it into a great visit to Oregon, down the Gorge and to the Coast. BTW, I love the solar and it works great. Two panels and new batteries on my 16 footer.

Stan
Salt Lake City
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
Or you could visit Lew in Naples in the winter like we did! He put four panels on our 27 FB last month while we toured Florida. Good excuse to leave the Oregon rain! We LOVE the install Lew did! (It helped that gas prices were at an all time low too👍 for our 12,000 mile road trip)

cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 AM   #57
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
First time I've read this very interesting thread.
Lots of good tech info but not one word about aesthetics.
Am I the only one here who finds all that paraphernalia attached to the roof very unattractive? Kind of like the cellular antennas on water towers. It's nice to have the service but they sure are ugly.

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
And that's one more reason I went with a portable setup, pull them out of closet when needed. Love the option for use may not be for all.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #59
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
You can barely even see mine on the roof of the Airstream. The A/C and Vent covers stick up and are way more noticeable in my opinion. On an older Airstream it might be more visible.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'm a ham radio operator. Lots of antennas in the roof is perfectly normal. Solar panels, neatly installed, really look fine compared to the bulky A/C unit, the TV antenna, and all the other stuff up there. Besides, I'm not to enough to see all that stuff--I'm only 5 foot 12!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote