Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
Solar conflict

Something Shiny just concluded her maiden trip. We took her out Friday afternoon and returned this Sunday afternoon.

As part of the shake down trip, we decided to boondock and make use of our 160 watt factory solar and the supplementary 160 watt portable Zamp unit, which plugs directly into the front of our Int. Serenity 27FB.

Bt Saturday evening battery was down to 45% and I surmised that no solar charging was taking place. I disconnected the portable Zamp unit and confirmed today that their seems to be confusion between the permanent and the portable solar unit controllers. In essence, I believe both controllers "thought" that the "other" controller had taken over, resulting in neither solar unit charging. The portable Zamp controller indicated the it was "on," but indicated that it was not charging, nor did it show battery charge status.

I had queried the dealer about this very question prior to ordering the 2017 Airstream and they had confirmed that "one of the controllers would take over and that both the portable and roof mounted solar units would work in conjunction," which appears not to be the case.

I will be following up with Airstream, but am curious as to whether anyone else has run into this.
ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
You probably need to remove the controller from the Zamp portable and connect the panel so only the trailer's controller runs the roof and portable. Will the trailer's controller handle 320w of solar panel?

I have a 200w Zamp portable and am having a 200w AMSolar 200w kit installed. I plan to remove the Zamp controller and let the BlueSky controller in the trailer manage the roof and portables when the portable is plugged into the system.

Kelvin
Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I am still playing small time with solar power. 2 40 watt panels at this time. They can only be used with one controller so I made a Y connector to input both panels onto one feed. Each panel came with its own controller but whichever panel was hooked up first produced enough power that that second panel would not join in the work. It saw the voltage and decided that it was good enough.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote