Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
So Cal, Southern California Boondocking?

Any good, safe spots to boondock in the Los Angeles Area?
adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
me too! but I think that we need to go north!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
There are the national forest areas surrounding LA and the desert, but neither could be considered in LA.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwright View Post
Any good, safe spots to boondock in the Los Angeles Area?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Bill,

Do laws permit boondocking on national forest land?
Old 08-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I am up in Idyllwild, CA and there are no "legal" places that I have found up here. There are some "Yellow Post" sites but you need to reserve those. There may be some other places but be very careful about Rattle Snakes this time of year!
Now there are some places in the desert but you would also need a permit for those. Last I checked those permits were very inexpensive say $180/year but the areas are restricted by BLM. Not sure how hard they are regulated though.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Check with the Angeles NF and San Bernardino NF rangers.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwright View Post
Bill,

Do laws permit boondocking on national forest land?
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Is boondocking, in general, in metro areas, a feasible thing to do?
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Boondocking in LA, Detroit, NYC, Chicago is putting your life into someone else gun finger. Pay the price for safety and go into a RV Park
Julie-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
There is always the Wallydocking option.
One night stays in a Walmart parking lot.
You do have to check and see if it's ok in the city you are wanting to stay in, some CA area's do not allow it.
In the LA area, I also think an RV park is a good idea though.

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
I researched this extensively as I have just gotten into the game in the last year. I really avoid campsites if possible. In general, you cannot boondock in a National Parks nor most State Parks. National Forests, yes. I have been up to Sequoia National Forest several times, and have a lovely secret spot which is off the grid, near an old logging road, yet still accessible to tiny store and local attractions. I really suggest trying out this area.. its not a terrible drive, you don't have to go too far off the grid, and its beautiful.

No real true boondocking in LA, but as said there are some primitive campsites In Angeles NF and San Bernardino which basically have a fire pit and nothing else, which is usually enough to scare off the masses.

I have been to Idyllwild as well and love it, but haven't been able to find an area to boondock yet.

Boondocking in Metro areas is quite easy, if you go to Walmart.. as mentioned. Otherwise, no..
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post

I have been to Idyllwild as well and love it, but haven't been able to find an area to boondock yet.

Boondocking in Metro areas is quite easy, if you go to Walmart.. as mentioned. Otherwise, no..
We live up here in Idyllwild. There are some places to "camp" but they are in the forest and require getting a permit to use them. Fires in these yellow post site and remote camp grounds are not allowed currently because of the drought. I would guess that camp fires in most of the local forests around here have the same restrictions

You really should check to see which of the Walmart stores you can spend the night. There is a book that lists all of the Walmarts and another that lists the ones that you cannot stay at. From what I understand it is more the municipality that restricts this. I do know of one Walmart near us that makes sure you don't spend too many nights at because some people were living in their parking area.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
We live up here in Idyllwild. There are some places to "camp" but they are in the forest and require getting a permit to use them. Fires in these yellow post site and remote camp grounds are not allowed currently because of the drought. I would guess that camp fires in most of the local forests around here have the same restrictions

You really should check to see which of the Walmart stores you can spend the night. There is a book that lists all of the Walmarts and another that lists the ones that you cannot stay at. From what I understand it is more the municipality that restricts this. I do know of one Walmart near us that makes sure you don't spend too many nights at because some people were living in their parking area.
Do you have any spots in Idyllwild to recommend?
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
not really since we live here. We have used the Thousand Trails Park because we are members and like hook-ups.
I will say that there are allot of dangers up here with rattle snakes coyotes and even bobcats. There have been campers and their dogs that have been bitten this last year, think the dog died.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

do you want Southern California or LA

Urban areas, with high real estate values and crime, won't have much if anything in the way of boon docking. But south of San Diego, I saw a parking lot right on the beach that allows camping. You need to have a self sufficient camper with a toilet, even though there is a public rest room. NOT sure if they still let people stay there, and NOT sure if it is still free
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Hello fellow campers and Airstreamers.
We are presently on our first attempt at avoiding the northern winter travelling just north of San Francisco in Santa Rosa to visit a few wineries.
When we leave here we would like to not have to camp in an RV "cramp",and head for somewhere south where we can feel comfortable with our 3 dogs.
State parks in California are out of the question because they are not allowed on trails, and we never leave them alone in the trailer.
We don't like large cities.
Can anyone out there suggest a route that would slowly get us down to the desert area east of LA?, and get us into more peaceful camping?
We don't mind rv spots that have some room. Oregon is so great for that type of camping. Anything like that in southern cal?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
There is a nice state campground in Pismo, named Northbeach. The beach there is very dog friendly, and there are lots of hiking trails close by that are also dog friendly. Bob Jones trail in Avila is one of them.
Best part is you can walk right out to the beach from the campground.
You can check the local trails here:
Hikes in San Luis Obispo | Hikespeak.com

Old 12-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Thanks for that. Looked it up and it looks interesting. Do you think that reservations would be necessary at this time of year?

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
This time of year it's first come first serve unfortunately.
Reservations start May 15, and it sells out quick. But if you show up during the week during the winter you shouldn't have a problem.
There is also a designated dog beach in Avila just a few miles too.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We are next door at Pismo Coast Village. Walked through the state campground this afternoon. Loads of spaces available. Some are very wet due to the heavy rain last week, but many are OK.

I would expect it will start filling up Christmas Day.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #20

Lytle Creek , California
Lytle Creek, CA intersection of I15 & I215

CA: Boondocker Have We Got a Deal For You
by Lytle Creek Firing Line - Lytle Creek, California
(Position in the San Bernardino National Forest)

Lytle Creek Firing Line, Lytle Creek California

Lytle Creek Firing Line, Inc. has a caretaking opening for RVing hosts. This hosting position is at our remote day use firing range.

We are looking for the proper individual or couple who is wanting a southern California RVing location. The property is a secluded fee for use area, located in the chaparral covered northern San Bernardino National Forest.

We are conveniently located close to I-15/215, and 210 freeways. Rancho Cucamonga and San Bernardino are easily accessed.

The facility is located at the 4,400’ elevation in the shadow of Mt. Baldy, highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountain range, and the Sheep Mountain Wilderness Area, in the Lytle Creek Canyon drainage. The adjoining communities are still rural, however a large mall and other amenities are a half hour drive. Low humidity, without extreme temperatures, makes for a comfortable environment the majority of the year.

This is a controlled use area. Activities in a developing controlled shooting range include the use of firearms and archery equipment from designated locations at designated targets. A tolerance of firearms is expected.

The firing range is open seven days a week. The hosts are expected to maintain a presence on the property after hours, merely as a deterrent to unauthorized entry.

The applicants should be mature and responsible individuals or couples who are self sufficient, reliable, dedicated to a commitment, and independent. The facility is active from 08:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon, with light traffic on the paved road after hours.

Host positions are seasonal.

Applicants are expected to have a clean, self-contained RV, and should be able to provide proof of insurance and current registration. A tow behind vehicle is a plus. The host area is separated from the shooting area by approximately 70 yards. Currently, conditions are primitive, boondocking experience is preferred. Ten
hours per week, per person, twenty hours per couple covers the cost of weekly sanitation service, potable water deliveries, as well as an alternative power source, propane.

Pets are acceptable, as long as shots are current and they are kept under control.

Local activities include hiking, fishing, hunting, bird watching, stargazing, 4-wheeling, wildlife viewing, mountain biking, gold mining and panning, and peace and quiet.

This could be a fine situation for active retirees who enjoy the seclusion of the outdoors and enjoy people in moderation.

Applications accepted until the position is filled.

Call or email Greg for an application and to schedule an interview. Phone: 909-438-0196. E-mail: lytlecreekfiringline@gmail.com
lytlecreek is offline   Reply With Quote