Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Question Should I charge batteries with external battery charger

While boondocking and I am running the generator to power the heater or A/C should/can one hook up the batteries to via a BatteryMinder (or whatever brand) charger to charge them or should I let the OEM 1 stage charger charge them? If I did so I would need to put the power setting to shore mode?

Thank you,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
While boondocking and I am running the generator to power the heater or A/C should/can one hook up the batteries to via a BatteryMinder (or whatever brand) charger to charge them or should I let the OEM 1 stage charger charge them? If I did so I would need to put the power setting to shore mode?

Thank you,

Matti
MUCH BETTER IDEA than allowing the OEM Parallax unit to cook your batteries from applying improper, unregulated voltage to your batteries!

Be sure to use the BatteryMINDer's temperature sensor as well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I don't disagree with Lewster, but keep in mind that a typical 1 amp trickle charger may take a long time to replenish your batteries.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Your onboard original charger will do fine, I always get 6 years plus from my batteries, check the water level twice a year..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I don't disagree with Lewster, but keep in mind that a typical 1 amp trickle charger may take a long time to replenish your batteries.

The BatteryMINDer I'm suggesting is not simply a trickle charger, rather a fully adjustable unit that can charge at 2, 4, or 8 amps with charge patterns for gel, flooded or AGM batteries.

The older units were model #12248. They have been superseded by a new model which I don't have the number for.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Listen to Lou!
A charger with a Charge Wizard is the way to go for sure.
I used a 'Genius' charger until I had a PD 4655 converter installed. Both worked just fine. Voltage is correct, and specific gravity is right up there.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Lovin' the Mountains

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
A little different method that I use with my 2015 25' Flying Cloud. It requires some extra monitoring but it has worked well so far. Recall that the "Use/Store" switch just inside the door will disconnect batteries from shore power when in the store mode. The only module drawing power from the batteries with the switch in "Store" is the propane detector near the floor beneath the stove. I have tapped into the lines that feed this detector and attached them to a digital volt panel meter and switch; these I have mounted beneath the kitchen sink. The switch activates the panel meter only when I need to check the battery voltage. So, the "Use/Store" switch is only in the "Use" mode when the batteries require charging - otherwise it is in the store mode. One day I'll replace the OEM battery charger and will no longer have to rely on this - but until then... I'd be interested in comments on this method.
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Solar panels come with a voltmeter similar to that described by Tomsos, that gives you a continuous voltage readout. The solar panels charge the batteries with the use/store switch in either position. I monitor this meter whenever we are not connected to shore power to ascertain that the solar panels are recharging the batteries to an optimal level every day. If they don't, which happens sometimes when conditions are not sunny, or there is an unusually high draw on the batteries, then I have to recharge the batteries and if there is an unusual draw on the batteries I can't account for, I have to track it down.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsos View Post
A little different method that I use with my 2015 25' Flying Cloud. It requires some extra monitoring but it has worked well so far. Recall that the "Use/Store" switch just inside the door will disconnect batteries from shore power when in the store mode. The only module drawing power from the batteries with the switch in "Store" is the propane detector near the floor beneath the stove. I have tapped into the lines that feed this detector and attached them to a digital volt panel meter and switch; these I have mounted beneath the kitchen sink. The switch activates the panel meter only when I need to check the battery voltage. So, the "Use/Store" switch is only in the "Use" mode when the batteries require charging - otherwise it is in the store mode. One day I'll replace the OEM battery charger and will no longer have to rely on this - but until then... I'd be interested in comments on this method.
Why bother? There is a volt indicator in the tank monitor panel. It seems to be pretty accurate too.

Trailer Trash. ........"
Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #10

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Thank you everybody

Lewster,

Thank you for you words of wisdom. I do plan on switching out the OEM Parallax once I get the Okay from the better half. I dream and she keeps me in check. The BM 12248 was replaced by the 1500, looks like the added a desulfator stage and built the temp monitor into it.

Thank you,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Lovin' the Mountains

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Regarding MelGoddard's note, I have owned two Airstreams, the battery check voltage on the water panel meter bears no resemblance to the actual battery voltage. I have no idea what it is measuring.
tomsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Regarding MelGoddard's note, I have owned two Airstreams, the battery check voltage on the water panel meter bears no resemblance to the actual battery voltage. I have no idea what it is measuring.
My OEM meter on the water panel, reads within .1VDC compared to two multi- meters of mine.
What can I say???😞
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
My OEM meter on the water panel, reads within .1VDC compared to two multi- meters of mine.
What can I say???😞

Trailer Trash........"