Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

John Day , Oregon
September in Yellowstone

How cold does a night have to be to worry about freezing inside my 2000 Safari? We are planning a trip to Yellowstone at the end of September and may have to camp without outside power. I would like to avoid useing the furnace but don't want to freeze pipes. Any advice? Jim
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
32 degrees F, 0 degrees C, here, there, and everywhere.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
We just got back from Yellowstone. It did dip below freezing. I recommend staying at Bakers Hole National Forest outside the park, near West Yellowstone. We had electricity, but had to fill our tank with water at the entrance. The price is reasonable (around $22 or $25/night). The campground is clean and sites are level. There are only pit toilets, but they are clean. We dumped in the town of West Yellowstone at the campground there ($6). We found this was a great location to get around the park. The line-ups getting into the campgrounds in the park were enormous. We were surprised since it is September.
Hope this helps.

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
How cold does a night have to be to worry about freezing inside my 2000 Safari? We are planning a trip to Yellowstone at the end of September and may have to camp without outside power. I would like to avoid useing the furnace but don't want to freeze pipes. Any advice? Jim
This is probably a very conservative response;

If the forecast were for temps. less than 30 degrees, I would run the furnace on a low setting like 60. You can restore the batteries the next day with your TV or better yet, solar.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
We were there just after Labor Day. We had full hookups at Grizzley in West Yellowstone. The fresh water hose froze solid one night.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Jim, If it dips below thirty I'd worry. Of course, the very early morning hours just prior to sunrise are the coldest. Keep the doors open that lead to the water lines and possibly the inside temps will keep the trailer water lines from freezing up. Run the furnace if it gets really cold no matter what and recharge the batteries asap the next day. Why worry all night long?Better yet, pay for hookups and run an electric box heater at night (if furnace noise is the key issue) keeping the water lines uncovered. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I think if you search this topic you will find you are probably going to be safe if nighttime temps dont go below 20 or so. The trailer will be warmer than the outside temp. Set the furnace low, and you can coast right through.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
We camp in Northern Minnesota all throughout the fall... The temps are almost always below 32 at night. Our experience has been that unless the temps get seriously cold like 20 or so, for a prolonged period (where the daytime temps do not rise above freezing), the internal temps just don't allow for freezing. We have had our unit (2005 Bambi 19') sitting outside without heat inside for several nights where temps have fallen below 32 without incident. Typically the thermal mass of the rig is sufficient to keep things from freezing up on you as long as the days are sufficiently above those temps (that specifically includes the hot water heater - being exposed to the outside via vent). The real question is if you really want to wake up to 40 or 45 degrees inside your rig! Personally, I agree with others here... A few degrees of heat will make your trip much more enjoyable - at least it would for us. Worth the price of a site with power for my money...

Fall camping = best camping!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1987 23' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
We were there at the end of Sept. a few years ago, pulled into the campground wearing shorts, beautiful day. That night a cold front went through, 24 degrees was the low and it flurried snow for a day or so. This time of year it's best to be prepared for anything. Hope the weather is beautiful for you.
Campaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSaCAMPER View Post
I think he was also worried about the lines leading in to the camper?
Fill the water tank and don't leave the hoses out.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

John Day , Oregon
Now we are back from a remendouse trip to yellowstone. Thank you to all who offered advice. Turns out we hit a rare hot spell and freeze up waas not an issue. We hope to g back next fall. By then we will have solar panels and more battery power and skip all the plug-in ($$$) camp sites. The most primative sites are the prttiest and we can do a plug in site to refill water dump tanks etc. Fall is THE time to see the park. jim
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote