Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
This thread has sunken to lows beyond belief. This is one only example of why I rarely visit this site anymore and why I ceased being a contributor long ago. So goes most social networking sites...

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #122
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
O.K., but I am not really interested in hearing their opposing views, as it is not pertinent to the discussion
social networking... sunk to lows beyond belief. gotcha.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 12-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
It was a .357 at the time and I was staying in one of the out cabins high up in the mountains in Death Valley by myself. These cabins are first come, first served and I was the first one in for a holiday weekend. I had strung my gear out all over the cabin so that it looked obviously occupied. I wanted to leave to explore a side canyon so I left a note on the table addressed to every man I had dated since 7th grade, where I was going and hoping to see them all when I returned that afternoon. When I did get back, I found the cabin had been usurped by a small group of men who pretended my things didn't exist and that they were going to spend the night.
So I pulled out my loungechair onto the porch, got out my book and a glass of wine and told them there was a big group of men coming in shortly and it would be mighty tight. I also told them that we were a church group so we went to bed early and got up the same way for prayers and to sing hymns. We didn't abide with a lot of noise at night. So they promptly sat down and said they would wait for the group to arrive.
I kept reading my book and finally mentioned that the three other cabins in the valley were full as I had visited them all that day, but if they were looking for the perfect hideout cabin that was off the beaten track, I would draw them a map. Plus it was illegal for them to have their ATV's up here and the ranger would swing by in the morning to throw them all out. I drew another map down around the other cabin where they could ride their ATV's to their hearts content all the way down to Death Valley proper, but if they were going to snag this place, they'd have to go soon before someone else claimed it. There was a bit of a ruckus and then the general consensus decided to hit the road with my maps. I smiled quite a bit, especially knowing that the cabin I sent them to was Manson's old cabin where he got picked up and the trail for their ATV's ran directly across China Lake Naval Base where I am sure they got to meet many more interesting people. That was the last I heard of them until a friend told me that they were out all night shooting guns at Charlie's. I watched the sun go down, finished my book and slept peacefully with the .357 under my pillow that night.

Carol
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I'm not against opposing view, in fact I welcome them, but hijacking threads is nothing short of distraction...

Old 12-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #125
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I'm not against opposing view, in fact I welcome them, but hijacking threads is nothing short of distraction...
Suggesting there is not a need for firearms is not hijacking, it is a reasonable response to the implied need suggested by the OP. In fact, it is analogous to questioning if every airstreamer needs a 3/4 ton diesel just because they asked about one.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
That's not hijacking, that's talking your way out of a bad situation to try and keep from using your gun.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
That's not hijacking, that's talking your way out of a bad situation to try and keep from using your gun.
I wasn't refering to you, Carol. In fact, that is a great story... I love it!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Okie, dokie...

Hey you need any maps for anywhere?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #129
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I am thinking the problem maybe definition of weapon. If I understand your objection, it sounds like you feel responses should be limited to what firearm do you prefer.

Here is a example of broad interpretation of weapon from Wikipedia

"weapons may be construed to include anything used to gain a strategic, material or mental advantage over an adversary on land, sea, air, or even outer space."

I don't know if my original post on this thread comes under the classification of what you are objecting to. However my point was and still is that sharing or advertising whatever you are using for defense, on this forum or in the local bar, is very counter productive to its effectiveness.

Ken
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I'm not objecting to anything. In my case, and the case of others I've known, advertising(as you call it) has never done anything but notify others of our stand. But then, I really don't "advertise." People just seem to "know." Other "types of folks" that I've known seem to become hapless victims.

"If one feels like it is a good idea to talk about whatever method of protection they use, I think it is being used for some reason other than protection." Jeez Ken, it is not a "feeling," it is a reality, no different than a discussion of water pumps or solar panels. It is not a matter of what anyone "thinks" or "feels."

"Suggesting there is not a need for firearms is not hijacking, it is a reasonable response to the implied need suggested by the OP." I did not see anything in the OP that suggested that this applied to every 'Streamer on the planet. If one does not "feel the need for firearms," why would one "feel the need" to reply? To start a rift?

"I have never felt the need for self-defense when boondocking. Ever" O.K., but that is not relevant to the topic.

"Common sense, good judgment and lack of paranoia..." Yes, but an incomplete answer given the OP, which was:
Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?
I'm thinking a .22 should be fine. And some mace would be good I guess...

Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #131
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Well folks - after much moderator attention and complaints from members, this thread is closed. For some reason gun and defense threads seem to stray far afield; this one has been no exception. Please review our site rules if you have questions about this, paying particular attention to the sections on collegial posting. The negative vibe on this thread is just not in keeping with the spirit and intent of AIR.

For those who want to continue to discuss guns, I urge you to consider a forum dedicated to weaponry topics. This however, is a forum about Airstreams and while we do not all agree about gun use, we do share a common interest in Airstreams. Let's focus on what we have in common, rather than that which divides us.

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread