Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Most states still have the Castle Law. My trailer is my Castle. If anyone comes through a locked door, trailer or house, I would fear for my life and would not fire a shot in the floor as some suggest or say stop. The only sound would be from a 357 magnum.

Marvin

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch View Post
Yes, research other threads on the gun (I refuse to use the "G" alternative) issue here at Air Forums, as most have been closed due to political correctness... IMHO.
If I may disagree. The threads wherein a fellow member asks a gun related question are usually closed because there are a couple of folks who strongly disagree with firearms and they post insulting type replies usually insinuating lack of brains or suggesting someone is using a gun to make up for another "shortage." Other members become offended and the thread goes downhill.

On other forums this might be called trolling but fortunately we don't do that here.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Garfunkle, my 40 kg. (90 lb.) deterrent...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130012 comp.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	117996  

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
If I may disagree. The threads wherein a fellow member asks a gun related question are usually closed because there are a couple of folks who strongly disagree with firearms and they post insulting type replies usually insinuating lack of brains or suggesting someone is using a gun to make up for another "shortage." Other members become offended and the thread goes downhill.

On other forums this might be called trolling but fortunately we don't do that here.
Yes, I do agree, but I don't understand why those suffering from gunfobia(a term which may not actually exsist, but should, as long as we already have other sorts of "phobia" floating about) continue to post to such threads. In other words, why don't the anti-gun, anti-firearm, anti-Second Amendment folks start their own thread and post their thoughts there? I am not being negative here, but I would like to see the responses.

OH-OH, O.K., OOPS, I'VE SAID IT!

"We don't do that here." Who are "we?" Are you a moderator? I have seen some very rude and offensive threads kept open which have nothing to do with firearms, while firearm threads have been slam shut.

I hope this little exchange does not contribute to the closing of this thread. Now, back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Yes, I do agree, but I don't understand why those suffering from gunfobia(a term which may not actually exsist, but should, as long as we already have other sorts of "phobia" floating about) continue to post to such threads. In other words, why don't the anti-gun, anti-firearm, anti-Second Amendment folks start their own thread and post their thoughts there? I am not being negative here, but I would like to see the responses.

OH-OH, O.K., OOPS, I'VE SAID IT!

"We don't do that here." Who are "we?" Are you a moderator? I have seen some very rude and offensive threads kept open which have nothing to do with firearms, while firearm threads have been slam shut.

I hope this little exchange does not contribute to the closing of this thread. Now, back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?
I agree that if someone wanted to discuss how bad/undesirable guns are they should start a thread on that rather than expressing that in a thread where someone is asking for gun advice. Although I would not agree with that premise I would be very interested in hearing their views. In that thread.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
O.K., but I am not really interested in hearing their opposing views, as it is not pertinent to the discussion and only seems to contribute to the closing of the thread, which actually defeats the propose of the thread (which I fear we are doing here,) so I will restate; back to the original subject please: Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #119
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Self defense - what is your weapon of choice?
Common sense, good judgment and lack of paranoia.....

Regards,

Ken
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #120
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
My bad

After reading all the post in this thread, I can see that my initial post were misguided. Henceforth, when camping I intend to clear all vegetation surrounding my camper out to a distance not less than 100 yards (clear field of fire). The outer perimeter will have canteena wire. Then comes the mine field. The inner ring will be defended by Gatling guns directed by dual sonar/heat seeking guided targeting systems. I am working on a system to electrify the outer skin of the camper ( I never should have fixed the polarity issue). After all, I finally realized that I should be guided by random stories and vague fears rather than statistically validated threats.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Old 12-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
This thread has sunken to lows beyond belief. This is one only example of why I rarely visit this site anymore and why I ceased being a contributor long ago. So goes most social networking sites...

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #122
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
O.K., but I am not really interested in hearing their opposing views, as it is not pertinent to the discussion
social networking... sunk to lows beyond belief. gotcha.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
It was a .357 at the time and I was staying in one of the out cabins high up in the mountains in Death Valley by myself. These cabins are first come, first served and I was the first one in for a holiday weekend. I had strung my gear out all over the cabin so that it looked obviously occupied. I wanted to leave to explore a side canyon so I left a note on the table addressed to every man I had dated since 7th grade, where I was going and hoping to see them all when I returned that afternoon. When I did get back, I found the cabin had been usurped by a small group of men who pretended my things didn't exist and that they were going to spend the night.
So I pulled out my loungechair onto the porch, got out my book and a glass of wine and told them there was a big group of men coming in shortly and it would be mighty tight. I also told them that we were a church group so we went to bed early and got up the same way for prayers and to sing hymns. We didn't abide with a lot of noise at night. So they promptly sat down and said they would wait for the group to arrive.
I kept reading my book and finally mentioned that the three other cabins in the valley were full as I had visited them all that day, but if they were looking for the perfect hideout cabin that was off the beaten track, I would draw them a map. Plus it was illegal for them to have their ATV's up here and the ranger would swing by in the morning to throw them all out. I drew another map down around the other cabin where they could ride their ATV's to their hearts content all the way down to Death Valley proper, but if they were going to snag this place, they'd have to go soon before someone else claimed it. There was a bit of a ruckus and then the general consensus decided to hit the road with my maps. I smiled quite a bit, especially knowing that the cabin I sent them to was Manson's old cabin where he got picked up and the trail for their ATV's ran directly across China Lake Naval Base where I am sure they got to meet many more interesting people. That was the last I heard of them until a friend told me that they were out all night shooting guns at Charlie's. I watched the sun go down, finished my book and slept peacefully with the .357 under my pillow that night.

Carol
Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I'm not against opposing view, in fact I welcome them, but hijacking threads is nothing short of distraction...

Old 12-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #125
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
I'm not against opposing view, in fact I welcome them, but hijacking threads is nothing short of distraction...
Suggesting there is not a need for firearms is not hijacking, it is a reasonable response to the implied need suggested by the OP. In fact, it is analogous to questioning if every airstreamer needs a 3/4 ton diesel just because they asked about one.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
That's not hijacking, that's talking your way out of a bad situation to try and keep from using your gun.