Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #85
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
The best holiday movie is A Christmas Story. However I would worry that some of the posters here might shoot their eye out trying to be PC.
"Great BB gun collection, Little Beaver"

"You betchum, Red Ryder"

Where have all the good times gone?

My name is Red Ryder,
I ride the prairie,
My pal Little Beaver,
He rides with me.

Whatever the weather,
Come rain or come shine,
We'll be together,
All of the time.

They say as you grow older, your long term memory gets better. Or perhaps, that song was just permanently embedded in my brain from hours in front of the radio.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good Night. (or was it a Food Fight?)

Old 12-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #86
Rivet Master
San Angelo , Texas

I see your point, however the greedy opportunistic scumbag coming into my rig will not know the lay of the land as I do. I could have my Cold Steel Peace Keeper knife or my Sig 2340 or my Rossi .44 at the ready in a wouldn't matter. What matters is that I'm effective at using every weapon I own and am quite experienced in Close Quarters Combat (CQC).

Then again, I no longer own my Sovereign, so it's a moot point for the moment, however my argument still applies to someone entering my home. The great thing about Texas is that you can kill a criminal scumbag who enters your property.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I really don't feel like arguing the point anymore.

1971 Sovereign International - SOLD

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Limited
Lubbock , Texas
I have given much thought to this

Has anyone given thought to someway have a exterior LOUD horn or Siren that would make a lot of noise. This could be wired to batteries with a indoor switch. Possibly a bright exterior light could also be put on same switch. I feel that noise and light might scare away the bad guy. I know auto alarms are so common that no one pays attention to them, however in a quiet, dark campground, it may be fairly effective. I would like the firearm but have a lot of liability and legal concerns. Possibly the above with the Wasp spray might be a good alternative unless the bad guys are really bad guys. In that case none of us are real safe. I have been thing about this for some time and would appreciate any ideas.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #88
Rivet Master
1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

So, having convinced myself that is not a good idea to advertise your level of preparedness, I've come to the conclusion that those who do are doing it to boost their own feeling of security while in fact lowering their actual security.

I used to feel safer on my land because the crazy repo man lived at the entrance to the private road. He has signs and everything (see below).

They broke into his house and stole his guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1016091816a.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	117798  
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #89
Rivet Master
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6. Sal.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
You know I was hesitant to post in this thread fearing the responses I would get. This is exactly the type of response I was concerned about.

BTW yes they do publish information about crimes here. The reason you don't hear about it much is because they don't occur as often. Your comments are just inane. We as a country and myself as an individual are concerned about violence and crime. The point is it is all too easy to squeeze the trigger and kill someone in a moment of anger. If you remove the ready access to guns then you remove the ability for this situation to occur.

I don't want to argue your constitution. However the statistics tell a different story regarding the relationship between gun control and crime.
Murders (per capita) statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Gun Facts

Now don't pull out your gun and start shooting at me just because we have a difference of opinion. There was no need for your sarcastic
and hostile response. I for one am glad you live where you do. Please don't post a response I do not wish to hear your response. Thank you for your opinion and enjoy your life.
Actually, if you want accurate statistics on gun violence in the US, go to the Center for Disease control. There are far to many "statistics" that the anti-gun crowd profess, statistics that are completely deceiving, all for the expressed purpose of banning guns. The fact is there are 3 to 4 times as many people killed by drunk driving every year as are killed by guns.

And yes, my comments were sarcastic, just as yours were. I do get tired of listening to people put down guns yet they never talk about drunk driving. The fact is, limiting honest people's access to guns only insures that the criminals will be the only ones that are armed.

BTW I was born in Vancouver and I grew up in Canada and Alaska, with guns. Furthermore, I am a retired cancer researcher that worked at the University of Washington Medical Center. Because my career was spent in the academic environment among the "intellectual" anti-gun folks I did develope a good degree of sarcasm. In addition, it was not a gun that put me in the hospital for 6 months, it was a drunk driver driving on the sidewalk where I was walking that put me in the hospital for 6 months. Yet, the "intellectuals" at the University never talked about drunk driving although some still drove drunk after seeing what happened to me.

So forgive me for being sarcastic.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
i think its true that you can't tell a book by its cover.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
I don't see the connection between gun-caused deaths and drunk-driving deaths. Maybe the intellectuals had a point after all.

I don't need to have a gun while boondocking. A good part of my life has been spent outdoors in remote areas and I have never needed a gun. Ever.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Issaquah , Washington
Originally Posted by pauly g View Post
I don't see the connection between gun-caused deaths and drunk-driving deaths. Maybe the intellectuals had a point after all.

I don't need to have a gun while boondocking. A good part of my life has been spent outdoors in remote areas and I have never needed a gun. Ever.
The point about drunk driving is: very few law abiding citizens kill people with guns. The vast majority of gun violence in the US is by criminals, especially inter city gangs. On the other hand quite a few "law abiding" citizens kill people because they drink and drive. Therefore, if you want to get on a soap box, preach about something that will make a difference. If I were to guess, few if any people on this site have ever killed another person with a gun, yet, I will bet that more than a few have driven drunk and are accidents waiting to happen.

Furthermore, outlawing guns will not stop criminals from having guns. If you need proof of this, just look at Mexico. Guns are illegal in Mexico yet the murder rate in Mexico is astronomical! I'm sure that the anti-gun crowd will preach that the illegal guns in Mexico come from the US but the truth is that only 10% of the illegal guns in Mexico come from the US. This means that 9 out of every 10 illegal guns in Mexico come from other countries.

Clearly you haven't spent much, if any, time in places like the north slope of Alaska or in Churchill, Manitoba. If you have spent time in these or similar locations, the only reason you did not need a gun is because someone you were with had one.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #94

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Can't everyone agree to disagree? I've grown up around guns my whole life and I can appreciate the need for them but not everyone will feel that way. To each is own. Merry Christmas and God bless.
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
WBCCI 4973
Old 12-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #95
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
There's nothing wrong with keeping a can of hornet spray handy. It will shoot a good stream for 25 feet. (Legal in all states too, I would think)
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #96
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I keep an antique trident attached to a short raw wood.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #97
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington

Part of Airstream is visible in background of first picture.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #98
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Some of these threads sound like a bunch of college jocks in a shower room comparing the size of their Richards. And maybe what they think they will do with them.
Taking a life for any reason is not a pleasant or easy task. Be it by a firearm, other weapon or calling in a laser guided bomb from a B-52.
One of my team sergeant's(combat tours in Laos, Vietnam and other unnamed places) said, "that your soul is diminished every time you take a life". I have to agree with him.
A lot of folks are talking the talk. Until you walk the walk, everything is just academic.
It is a step into an abyss when you take a life (or lives) by any means.

Merry Christmas.
Shabat Shalom

SGM (Ret)

Closed Thread