Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #71
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Travel with guns.

Just a reminder -- If you are leaving home and heading for CANADA -- leave the guns at home, as you will not get through Customs with the hardware.
If they do find guns or ammunition, you rig will be torn apart at your expense with no recourse.
There is little need for a gun anytime, or few places you will be hasseled, especially once you leave the cities.
In this day of instant communication and video and camera, you should be OK.
Paying more attention to the road, and safety on the water and other toys, will pay more dividends.
Dave

Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestreamer View Post
Glock 9mm, night sight, 2 extra clips loaded with hollow points. I carry mine with me on any trip with or without the Airstream. Whatever weapon you decide to choose, take a gun safety course and also spend time at a gun range getting familiar with your firearm. Check with your state and the states you'll be traveling through regarding firearm laws.

"Here's my credo. There are no good guns, There are no bad guns. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a good man is no threat to anyone, except bad people." Charlton Heston
put up the $$$$$ and people will say anything.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #73
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I guess one thing that both sides can agree on is that anti-gun folks will never change the mind of pro-gun folks and vice versa, until an horrific experience changes that point of view. While I'm not crazy about bumper stickers with slogans, I've always liked the one that says, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will own guns". Law-abiding citizens are just that; criminals could give two spits about the law.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #74

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Enough with the guns! It's Christmas! Don't irritate me! (line from the Ref, the best Christmas movie ever)!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Canyon Lake , Texas and Southern Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
put up the $$$$$ and people will say anything.
Has nothing to do with $$$$$$
Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #76
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
If one feels like it is a good idea to talk about whatever method of protection they use, I think it is being used for some reason other than protection.

Ken
Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If one feels like it is a good idea to talk about whatever method of protection they use, I think it is being used for some reason other than protection.

Ken
How's that?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 12-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Canyon Lake , Texas and Southern Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

Ken
There are two good reasons........1st and 2nd Amendments, our rights as Americans. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Safe New Year to all!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #79

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
This clip is better.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Catron County NM was a law on the books every male over 18 must own a firearm.

By the way, I support the right to arm bears.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Seems Mister Colt and Mister Glock are our constant companions anymore. BUT I like the one that GOES "I have a loaded Airstream and I ain't afraid to use it"
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
The best holiday movie is A Christmas Story. However I would worry that some of the posters here might shoot their eye out trying to be PC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	117779  
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #83
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
How's that?
I see from your profile that you are in the military.

Do you think it is a good idea to advertise what weapons you bring to a confrontation? That only allows the adversary to be better equipped to counter them. Yes, you might scare off a few lesser equipped or committed opponents, but if you don't scare them off, you've played all your cards.

I know people who make a big deal talking about how they always carry a concealed weapon. To me that pretty much negates the concealed part.

If you have something a criminal wants bad enough, and he knows you are armed, he is simply going to do his best to make sure you don't have chance to use it.

So, having convinced myself that is not a good idea to advertise your level of preparedness, I've come to the conclusion that those who do are doing it to boost their own feeling of security while in fact lowering their actual security.

simply my opinion,

Ken
Old 12-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
There's a whole range of human activity. The simple fact is that 60% of the population, given the opportunity to do so undetected, will steal. 15% or so are willing to steal even with detection and 8% or so are willing to use violence up to and including lethal force.

The distribution of crimes by that 8% is interesting. If you just count the crimes, they're almost entirely in inner city areas. However, if you balance for population per square mile, there is a different trend that forms: violent crime occurs generally in the most highly and most lowly populated areas.

People tend to get into violent confrontations when they're crammed in like sardines, or when the chance of encountering someone is low.

Rural crime is the type of crime we're talking about here. It's got some characteristics about it that are common, and inform us:

The attacker is usually armed or otherwise prepared for confrontation, but trying to avoid it. They are most likely are trying to steal property. They are opportunists.

When carrying out their acts, these people generally do not confront people but are surprised by them. At this point they have a choice: subdue you or withdraw. The probabilities of which path they choose depend on when they were detected: if they were detected at a remote distance and they know you outnumber or outweight the force they can bring, they almost always withdraw - often undetected. However, once they have entered a property, they usually are in a highly agitated state, with adrenalin running high. The fight or flight decision goes the opposite way.

It is in these types of confrontations that most killings or injuries occur.

So the question then becomes: how do you avoid the latter type of confrontation and transform it into the former?

Situational awareness.

When people say dogs or lights, they're really saying "extending my senses." If you know earlier that your territory is being intruded upon, you can alter the outcome. If you can let them know the same, they will almost always withdraw.

Dog are a rewarding way to do this, and so are motion sensing lights. There are now many 12v sensors designed to operate LEDs.

What other techniques and devices, besides guns, can also be helpful?