Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Scorpions? Me... no worry

This is one common arachinid found in the SW Deserts. Boulder City, included. Or in terms we all understand... like a spider, but cuter?

They are slow movers and easily... taken to a Insect Rescue or, as I did... used my right sandal as an affirmative action.

Rattlesnakes... well, I let them go on their way.

It is unfortunate, as scorpions eat... other insects, lizards and small mammals? (On a Google search... small mammals?) They also need water... so when we irrigate our Desert landscape... we are supporting scorpions in our yard to grow into 4 inch tyrants.

Much like a 'wet bar' on the beaches of Mexico.

The coin is the diameter of a Silver Dollar, which I could not find laying loose, so used a substitute. Check your pocket for comparison. Or do as I do... use a metal detector and find your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	322885  
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I just got stung this weekend by the common Texas Brown scorpion, while collecting firewood. Wow did it ever hurt for about three hours. Then pain slowly went away. They love to come out after brief rain showers, which is exactly when I got stung. Keep your eyes open, cuz these critters can ruin your day.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Had company over yesterday.

He goes out into their backyard with an ultra violet lamp and the scorpions glow green. They are overrun with them in Summerlin, Nevada areas. His wife was describing a small scorpion that she found crawling up her arm. It felt like a tickle from a hair... yikes.

Although, the crickets in our back yard seem to have... disappeared. Hmmm.... I may be a bit more generous on the next Scorpion. They are quiet after Sunset. Just stay away from the house. I may need to post a sign.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Had company over yesterday.

He goes out into their backyard with an ultra violet lamp and the scorpions glow green. They are overrun with them in Summerlin, Nevada areas. His wife was describing a small scorpion that she found crawling up her arm. It felt like a tickle from a hair... yikes.

Although, the crickets in our back yard seem to have... disappeared. Hmmm.... I may be a bit more generous on the next Scorpion. They are quiet after Sunset. Just stay away from the house. I may need to post a sign.
Our cats take care of anything which move in our house or Airstream. My cats alerted my to scorpion just as I started this reply.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Sitting by the campfire in Levis one night I suddenly felt a burning on the back of my knee. I assumed a spark had popped out and burned thru my Levis but it didn't let up. I stood up and pounded my foot on the ground and out fell a baby scorpion. Drove 1 hour to the hospital and the nurse said "if anything were to happen it would have happened by now, your'e going to be fine. Watch out for rattlesnakes" Drove back to camp, by then the numbness was worn off.