Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
Safety when leaving trailer

We are planning to boondock this summer , hopefully in a National Forest. With all the thefts of airstreams , especially the little ones, I would like some advice on how to safeguard the trailer when leaving it to go into town for supplies etc. All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecavetx View Post
We are planning to boondock this summer , hopefully in a National Forest. With all the thefts of airstreams , especially the little ones, I would like some advice on how to safeguard the trailer when leaving it to go into town for supplies etc. All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Airstreams get stolen from places where they're stored, typically. People see them and figured out how to come by and steal it after casing the situation for a while. If you're setup on levelers & a hitch lock in a quiet spot in the woods, you very likely won't have problems - the odds of someone who is driving by your camping spot wanting to steal your Airstream and having the tools & tow vehicle to do it is pretty da** low.

-= Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
Its still a good question. My globetrotter was vandalized while I was boondocking in Colorado. I have had other weird things happen too. I have wondered if the shiny trailer incites crazy people in some way. Seriously.. like a fish strikes at a shiny silver lure.nx
wheelerimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
There are several things that can help, but nothing will really stop a deranged Meth-head from messing with your beloved trailer, other than a kind Karmic transfer to the next life... That said, you should have:

1. A really solid and good fitting hitch lock that surrounds hitch assembly with a lot of metal that can't be cut easily with a hacksaw or bolt cutter... That is NOT the little padlock that goes through the hole in the hitch lever, but one that completely blocks the underside of the hitch and prevents someone from hitching up the trailer and towing it away.
2. A deadbolt lock added to door, with key only from either side, though this often just compels someone to do more damage to windows in an effort to get in..
3. If battery/solar power permits, leave a small radio/iPod on inside with music or news playing (assuming you don't have a PitBull or German Shepherd to leave behind..) to make it seem occupied, with curtains drawn, and a light on...
4. Others have suggested good steel cable locks for propane tanks (especially the aluminum ones..) inside the cover box, to discourage removal of those...

Beyond these, anything left outside in campground is likely to be targeted as well, so generators or bikes or chairs should be stashed inside for the time you're gone..

Good luck!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
Nellysford , Virginia
Arrow Theft

I do most of the above and in addition use a BAL X-Chock with a lock. The chock helps stabilize the trailer and when Locked is a great theft deterrent.
RTurnConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In the Pacific NW, I am careful but not paranoid about security, and I almost only boondock in NFS campgrounds and the like. I have a cable lock system on my propane tanks, and a deadbolt on the door. I have a lock on the hitch, but it might not slow anyone down much. I also usually take the Argosy, not quite so shiny and good looking as a polished Airstream.

But, basically I agree with Barts, the problems are mostly when the unit is in storage, not when you are out camping. And I personally feel safer in a quiet NFS campground than in commercial ones with a lot of in and out traffic.

Be careful, but don't let the "what if's" keep you from enjoying yourself. Theft is a personal violation, but probably much more damage is done to the AS by water, blown out tires, backing into objects and the like, than theft.

Or, maybe I live in a world that no longer exists. Not watching TV news helps me stay sane.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You could buy a boot - big yellow thing that locks around a wheel and keeps it from turning. You can't even remove the tire and drag it on three wheels. Also just MUD UP and hide the shine under layers of dirt. (Here in Virginia, they'll grow green algae or moss if you don't clean them for a year!)

Signs that say "love me, love my python" might also help. So will a stack of dirty diapers outside of the door.

Paula
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I use a security chain (available from Tulsa Chain or your local locksmith) and a really good padlock between the wheel spokes on one side when parked without the tow vehicle for an extended period.

Site selection matters. The worst locations are the ones that have fairly frequent casual traffic, so that someone with larceny in their heart is likely to see the trailer, combined with enough isolation that no one is likely to observe a theft in progress.

Nearly all the thefts that are reported here involve trailers being stolen while being stored at a commercial or industrial location, or a remote location visible from a highway. I don't think we've had any reports of thefts from campgrounds or boondocking locations where the trailer was in daily use. Doesn't mean that such thefts don't exist, just that they're less common.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I have had zero trouble camping and/or boondocking in national forests and I have spent a lot of nights there.
Trouble seems to be endemic to urban areas.
The only precaution I take is to lock the door...chairs, grill ect are left outside. I do put the Honda generator in the truck. Why tempt a potential thief with something valuable? Really? Who wants to steal your propane bottles? Theft targets are something that can be fenced.
I feel more secure in a campground because there are others around which discourages theft but I have never had trouble even in a solitary campsite.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
All of the above are great. If you dont have a ball/tongue lock yet or latch lock,look for the new un-pickable locks. I also think the BOOT is a great investment. You will never stop a PRO from stealing your trailer. He will posses all the tools he needs. Just take as many anti-theft measures as you can and then go enjoy yourself. Just make sure your premiums are paid. I think there also are tracking devises these days Check into that.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I have had zero trouble camping and/or boondocking in national forests and I have spent a lot of nights there.
Trouble seems to be endemic to urban areas.
The only precaution I take is to lock the door...chairs, grill ect are left outside. I do put the Honda generator in the truck. Why tempt a potential thief with something valuable? Really? Who wants to steal your propane bottles? Theft targets are something that can be fenced.
I feel more secure in a campground because there are others around which discourages theft but I have never had trouble even in a solitary campsite.
I agree 100 % with the above post. I have never had, or seen a problem in 40 years of national forest camping, some quite remote.
I have seen non airstream trailers and even motorhomes left unattended in Hunt camps in the Florida forests for months at a time with no problems.

Take reasonable precautions and don't let paranoia ruin your fun. That's what insurance is for.

successfully stealing a trailer and making it disappear takes a reasonable amount of knowledge and brains. Stealing a trailer from federal land is not too bright.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

All the above are very helpful ideas.....

KISS.... ... hidden connector on the tongue jack power wire.

Bob
Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Get a sticker made up that says "This vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft GPS tracking device installed and monitored by Advanced Equipment Inc." and put it in a conspicuous location. It doesn't matter that you don't have a GPS unit, the thought that there is one is a deterrent in itself.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Put an electric horse fencer on the shell of the trailer.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Put an electric horse fencer on the shell of the trailer.

Perry
Now we're talkin'! What about chicken wire fencing around the camp-site perimeter (to keep kids and animals out) and IEDs buried inside that? (Or has this already been mentioned?)
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The electric fence is non-lethal and perfectly legal. It does tend to have a deterrent effect. You could easily rig a car alarm to the trailer. The kind that goes off when the trailer is shakin.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
Now we're talkin'! What about chicken wire fencing around the camp-site perimeter (to keep kids and animals out) and IEDs buried inside that? (Or has this already been mentioned?)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
I'm partial to the above safety locking hitch methods, and really like anything that involves electric fences, lasers or chain saws that swing out from the belly pan... When that doesn't work or you forget the guard Komodo dragon at home, we sometimes mount (when nobodies looking) a cuddy cam little hunting/nature camera (buy one on amazon or cabelas <$100) on a far off tree...ideally pointed at where said hoodlum would put their vehicle & face.... *knock on wood* no thefts here, but we have found a few odd balls peeking in on our stuff when away :/
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Claymore mines with trip wires. Learned that in the Army. Only had them go off once in Yosemite in '07...
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A fake explosive device (flash bang) might be just as effective as a real one. Something to get their attention. This would be the time to have a camera.

Perry