Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
For black tank, composting toilet is an excellent (and the only viable) short-term solution ... a proper septic system is the only viable long-term solution for black and gray. Remember, even septic system has a tank that needs to be pumped when the solids tank fills up. The septic drain field is only for liquids. IMHO it's unconscionable to think about dumping black any other way--regardless of whether or not it's your property. There's a reason why "the code" exists.
So outhouses have ruined the environment? And the required use of the little fiberglass pit toilets at every campsite which the Forest Service installs in the BWCAW (under the rules of the Wilderness Act) are unconscionable and ruin the environment?

Now, if OP is dumping RV BT chemicals or is releasing on top of the ground, or within 150' of a waterway, I would be against that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #42
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
So outhouses have ruined the environment? And the required use of the little fiberglass pit toilets at every campsite which the Forest Service installs in the BWCAW (under the rules of the Wilderness Act) are unconscionable and ruin the environment?

Now, if OP is dumping RV BT chemicals or is releasing on top of the ground, or within 150' of a waterway, I would be against that.
dznf0g, not looking for an arguement ... the OP indicated interest in an "eco-conscious" approach, which is what I provided, though, I admittedly erred in stating that a septic system is "the only" long-term solution. The Forest Service pit toilets are catchment systems that are pumped empty when they are filled. The point is, solids will accumulate and they should be removed. The other point is that the USFS likely performed an impact assessment before locating the installation sites. I don't want to turn this into a "pissing contest" but given we're talking about black tank waste, I vehemently assert that the code is the code for a reason. We don't know anything about the water table, soil composition, drainage, slope topology, geography with respect to the stream or other water features in this area, etc., but we do know there's a stream on the property. If the OP intends to use this site for any period of time, I continue to assert that compliance with code is the only right thing to do. This is not meant to imply that if it's not used for a considerable period of time, that dumping black is okay. This is where the short-term solution is advisable: composting toilet. And if this isn't the OP's property, then I assert even more strongly that an "outhouse" hole to dump a black tank is unconscionable to do. My opinion. Have a nice holiday.

Edit: the 2015 FB International has a 39 Gal black tank. That's a pretty big tank... Then couple emptying the tank with flushing to keep the valve clean ... that's a large opportunity to contaminate a large area. I'm not a sanitation engineer, but I would imagine there's a difference between a "one dump at a time" outhouse and bulk sewage...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
dznf0g, not looking for an arguement ... the OP indicated interest in an "eco-conscious" approach, which is what I provided, though, I admittedly erred in stating that a septic system is "the only" long-term solution. The Forest Service pit toilets are catchment systems that are pumped empty when they are filled. The point is, solids will accumulate and they should be removed. The other point is that the USFS likely performed an impact assessment before locating the installation sites. I don't want to turn this into a "pissing contest" but given we're talking about black tank waste, I vehemently assert that the code is the code for a reason. We don't know anything about the water table, soil composition, drainage, slope topology, geography with respect to the stream or other water features in this area, etc., but we do know there's a stream on the property. If the OP intends to use this site for any period of time, I continue to assert that compliance with code is the only right thing to do. This is not meant to imply that if it's not used for a considerable period of time, that dumping black is okay. This is where the short-term solution is advisable: composting toilet. And if this isn't the OP's property, then I assert even more strongly that an "outhouse" hole to dump a black tank is unconscionable to do. My opinion. Have a nice holiday.
Rich, I'm not looking for an argument here either, just proper, all inclusive information about waste. Certainly, if OP's land is under code, one must follow the code, from a societal standpoint...not necessarily an eco standpoint.

The FS toilets I am talking about are in backwoods wilderness areas. They are NEVER pumped and can't be. They are simply relatively shallow holes dug by FS folks , with a fiberglass "stool" placed over the top. In the BWCA, the sites which are heavily used from May - Sept (frozen rest of the year with little decomposition) are relocated about every 5 years, per a discussion with a "pit digger" I met one year. Lesser used sites may be as long as 10 years. They are always a minimum of 150' from the water and campsites.

The issue here should be more about the amount of waste in a singular location and the runoff potential when selecting the location.

Based on my wilderness area experience, research and training, if I were in OP's situation (and it was legal) I would be inclined to have an outside "stool and enclosure over a pit for the solids, and use the tank for liquids only. The blue boy can be used to dispose of the liquids on top of the ground in a proper location relative to runoff and ground absorption. I would watch the quantity released in a single location.....spread it around. Urine decomposes very quickly and is quickly utilized by the flora. Here is a pic of an FS backwoods cathole, with "luxury" seating:

Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	278213

Based upon the FS practices in the BWCA, the pit is relocated after several hundred uses....over 5 years.....so there is a decomposition rate involved. I'd probably relocate, in OP's situation at least monthly.

For the comments upstream about Cholera and dysentery, etc....that's all about location and load of disposal. Unless one is really careless and/or uneducated in proper methodology, that's not an issue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #44
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
IMHO, I'm not sure it's reasonable to periodically cover an old, and dig a new "pit" that would accommodate a 39 gal black tank plus rinsing on a recurring basis...

I would definitely love to hear from the OP after he/she/they have made a decision on how they intend to proceed. Not that he/she/they owe any of us feedback. I'm just curious and such a response may be informative for others.

Best,
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
IMHO, I'm not sure it's reasonable to periodically cover an old, and dig a new "pit" that would accommodate a 39 gal black tank plus rinsing on a recurring basis...

I would definitely love to hear from the OP after he/she/they have made a decision on how they intend to proceed. Not that he/she/they owe any of us feedback. I'm just curious and such a response may be informative for others.

Best,
Agreed, I described my thought on that issue in the last post. Also, in some environments the whole issue of digging (by visitors, not FS) has recently undergone a policy change. Up there, the topsoil layer is thin, because the glaciers moved it all to wisc/Illinois/iowa, during the ice age. When one needs to use a personal cathole, because of an "urgent calling", they used to recommend a trowelling a small hole and covering the waste and paper with soil when done. They now recommend just leaving it on top of the ground and covering with leaves only, (in a properly selected location). The fragile topsoil, short warm season, etc. dictates natural topsoil repair/healing is a worse environmental than waste on top. They have likewise changed their fish remains disposal policy (another discussion and methodology from human waste).

Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:

Best,
Didn't read the whole thread, but I believe a neighbor offered their septic for his blue boy disposal of waste. When that's possible, that is of course environmentally best choice.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
I'm the OP and have enjoyed reading all this. The "pissing contest" was literally what I was hoping for, not figuratively. As with most things, the truth is somewhere in between.

My property is definitely governed by code. Having read that code, I don't want to break it. That's a moral stance less than an environmental. Although, everyone around there (including us) gets their fresh water off a well. I'm told they'll never mix because of the depth of the water table but again, it seems "wrong."

Usage is 60 straight days of use. We dump 39 gallons every 10 days on average and use only Happy Camper organic black water treatment. (That stuff is incredible and there is almost no smell. Unreal.) Gray water we just let go overboard once it fills up and the grass grows like mad there. Very hard ground and the water evaporates extremely quickly.

The best and in my view only option we have for the black water though is to dump into a portable tank then I tow the portable with a tractor and dump into an approved septic system. It gets a little messy from time to time but the Happy Camper makes it much less of an issue. It quite literally make us... Happy Campers.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Composting toilet ?
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I am not sure that we ever heard where this land is...
but I am a member of an Astonomy club in New Mexico, and the club has an observatory away from a small town and away from people.

The only requirement we had was to provide notice that we were putting an outhouse on the property. It has been there for around 40 years and hasn't been a problem.

Recently the club has worked to try to improve the unit from the standpoint of smell, but we don't have a state full of code inspectors worrying about a waste disposal system that has been used for years.

Maybe in this case proximity to others is an issue?

I subscribe to the concept that the government is best that governs least.

Good luck in your effort to solve the problem.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So I would just have a portajohn delivered. Let them service it. They will send a nicer one in your case, tell them you don't want your kids "reading" the John.

If you are going to build someday, consider building the septic and well that is what I am going to do. I can't permanent hook up to a septic with a camper in my place, but I can dump.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote