Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #81
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I went from the 14s to 15s this spring. Still want to add a 3” lift. New Fork Lake up above PineDale is where we used to go. Miles of washboard road to get back in there, but it’s a great spot.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Ray, I lived in Rock Springs for a while and know those mtns. like the back of my hand. That is a wonderful part of the world and 110% not for newbies. Darn you, now I'd dreaming about going there and setting up camp

You did not 'live in Rock Springs'... you EXPERIENCED Rock Springs, Wyoming.

During the Wyoming Boom and Bust oil industry, you would see signs along the streets of Wyoming towns... HIRING. Especially for CDL drivers of heavy equipment. Men or women.

Two, five, ten drilling rigs with their rigs lit up like Christmas Trees as far as one could see. (Eye glasses, help.) Not just for lighting... but so those bringing supplies... can find them at night. A small Dexter Rig #35 along a gravel road was now a main access road... now just another dusty, wide road to the horizon.

(The younger employees did Oil drilling OSHA inspections... at NIGHT in the early 1970's. We could find them and catch them in the process of working their shifts. Four guys under 25, as the more mature, experienced staff were in Cheyenne, sleeping in a comfortable bed at home.)

During the day, they would see you coming and 'changed their mode of operation', somewhat.

This is how you get familiar with... nowhere and like to be set our Airstream campsite, half way to nowhere, and two thirds of the way to somewhere.

We would camp in our 2006 Safari and watch the activity from miles away. This is the American Spirit at work. Remote locations, great pay and all the work a young man can handle. With some planning, spend 24 months in your Airstream and there would be enough money to make something of yourself.

Most Trailer owners cannot understand WHY would someone want to do this kind of traveling? ...and that is exactly WHY. Most...
Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Most Trailer owners cannot understand WHY would someone want to do this kind of traveling? ...and that is exactly WHY. Most...
JFK "we choose to do these things because they are hard"
Mallory "because it's there"
Alfred E Neuman "what, me worry?'
Old 09-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
JFK "we choose to do these things because they are hard"
Mallory "because it's there"
Alfred E Neuman "what, me worry?'
If you are lost in Wyoming, how can you find your way to the Pacific Ocean or Independence, Missouri?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1900.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	323477  
Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The Union Pacific Railroad set track in Wyoming in 1867. Because they could get claim to Coal, Water and Mining property, the tracks meandered around. You will see that on the Wyoming land ownership map.

Passengers on these trains through out their trash, much like people do today along the highways.

Can you see the original UPRR Track in this photo?

Good, if you can. When you are traveling across the Western USA you will see many 19th Century tracks, less hardware when they closed the track from non use, or used the rail somewhere else.

These tracks can be found just by driving through Wyoming and west. Always something interesting to do. If you own UPRR stock... I guess you gave yourself permission to look around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2217.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	323478  
Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
That's the Rock Springs I knew. Made enough $$ in a few years to move back east and buy a house. The back country changed me forever. Wandering the range I found old camps and cabins that were buried in sand...uncovered and untouched by time as well as remote areas at the base of the mtn.s with great fishing. Neat place, I hope to return soon.

LOL I lived there just after the 60 Minutes expose' My best friends were the Chief of Police and owners of the scrap yard and Pawn Shop. What more could a guy want?!

At the time my best advice to anyone passing thru town was to keep moving.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote