Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Cool. How many takes did it get to get the skips just right?

I didn't mention the brand because I felt it was not necessary to tell that part of the story--I suspect MANY will recognize the commercial...
Well… It wouldn't have taken very many if our model/actor knew how to throw without looking too…how should I say…"lady-like?" In the end, I think it took fifteen or twenty takes to get it right.

Sorry to derail Ray's awesome thread. Let's get back to boondock-talk!
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Well… It wouldn't have taken very many if our model/actor knew how to throw without looking too…how should I say…"lady-like?" In the end, I think it took fifteen or twenty takes to get it right.

Sorry to derail Ray's awesome thread. Let's get back to boondock-talk!
This is 'everyone's thread'! The stories we discover while a Thread evolves is what makes your time and everyone's free time. What a great story.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lost Souls... are not lost

We have had responses from some of the 10% who have actually 'skipped rocks'. We need just another five hundred to get to 10%... more or less.

A neighbor was 'misusing' these same flat rounded edged pebbles for other purposes. As an accomplished sculpture and artist, she gathered larger flat stones and painted a complete 'turtle' on them. All sizes. The entire stone became a turtle.

Mice, with an added tail of leather. She started by asking for some of these stones from our Rock Garden. Rabbits… there are numerous ways of converting rocks to art.

When Lost Souls have time out in the Boondocks... maybe you have a talent and can put it to use.

She raised money for the Blue Heelers Rescue in Colorado by selling these ‘creatures’ at fund raisers. No doubt with more stones, they could be glued together and take on different imaginations and purposes. She would sell out of them. Time, imagination with some high quality weather proof paint is all that is needed.

My Grandfather smoked a pipe and reused the large round empty tobacco cans. He would glue small flat pebbles around the sides of the can and make a Water Wishing Well out of them. The winters of NW Montana were long… an opportunity to some to make the best of it.

We all find pleasure doing what we enjoy. To many it may seem odd or peculiar. ...so what. There is no need to conform to what others think. The saying by Robert Schuller: “I’d rather attempt to do something great and fail, than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.” This should be the Lost Souls anthem.

Someone said I suffered from OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder on a Forum Post. Thank you. It works for me.

At the Tucson Rock Show some years ago, a man lived (real Boondocking) in the desert. He would pick up flat split slabs of red sandstone and painted black Anasazi art onto these slabs. These he sold at the Rock Show by setting up a small table outside a restaurant. I still have many.

'Lost Souls' is really an individual's hunt to find something, that you did not know exists. Each person has a different reason to even attempt to exit the mainstream of Airstream owners perception of trailer use. Few RV and Trailer owners can manage to be away from established camping, with power and hookups. Due to health, age or just reluctant to experiment outside their experiences. There is risk involved being dependent upon yourselves.

An Airstream may not be the best option for Boondocking as I travel. The definition varies as much as the person. To those who say my Airstream is not intended to travel off the highways… well, maybe is the best criticism I could be told. I can count on that person not to be out where one may find those who do.

What do you find comforting, while being camped in your tent, popup trailer or Airstream? My list is long... and so was this post. Enough is enough.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Boise , Idaho
I’ll be skipping some rocks at Payette Lake later today and tomorrow. In August I’ll skip plenty at Flathead Lake. It’s always been enjoyable to do that and to pick targets to throw rocks at. I pretty much win every time...HeHe
Leilanisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This latest 'Adventure' brought us lows in the 40's and highs in the upper 70's in the Apache and Gila National Forests of central New Mexico. A relief from the Mohave Desert.

Tee shirt and shorts during the day. Long sleeves or a wooly jacket in the evenings. The air was so clear, the Milky Way and stars lit the sky.

Not one Airstream in sight while Boondocking.

A 2018/19 30 footer was parked at a Pilot Station west of Flagstaff, Arizona with a pickup attached, indicating it was a towing service located in Ohio. The Airstream had the 'gravel guards' with the white plastic protective covers.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #66
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Hey, that was a Corona Beer commercial. And I was there when we filmed it in Mexico! (In my previous life, I was an ad agency creative.)

Back to the commercial for a second...I don't remember the guy skipping a cell phone, but wasn't there one where the lady's phone rings, she looks at it, and drops it into the ice bucket? Or am I imagining that?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Late comer here...skipping rocks? I grew up with Lake Michigan as my back yard. How many skipped rocks do we need to have done? I am probably at about 500, with maybe only 50 on top of that intended to hit my older brother.
Don't worry - I would never waste a good skipping stone hitting my brother. Those always went to the lake.

All my kids (even the one who lives in Brooklyn) know how to skip rocks, and how to choose the proper rock to skip.
Okay now to brag....best skip ever 8 times!!. Average is 3-4 skips.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Late comer here...skipping rocks? I grew up with Lake Michigan as my back yard. How many skipped rocks do we need to have done? I am probably at about 500, with maybe only 50 on top of that intended to hit my older brother.
Don't worry - I would never waste a good skipping stone hitting my brother. Those always went to the lake.

All my kids (even the one who lives in Brooklyn) know how to skip rocks, and how to choose the proper rock to skip.
Okay now to brag....best skip ever 8 times!!. Average is 3-4 skips.
Eight skips!! You have a great side arm and that had to be the flattest and widest pebble on the beach to do that. Very scarce on the Flathead Lake of NW Montana to find a stone that flat.

Rumor is that so many locals have been skipping rocks on Lake Michigan that they, for the first time in history, have sandy beaches.

Some can only recall 'skipping school'. Ed and Jan of California style of skipping and environmentally friendly to the Seals in the way.

We did manage to take some photographs of a historical site in Wyoming. Medicine Bow, Wyoming to be exact. I include some photos. If anyone needs a part for an older, anything, it might be there.

Wouldn't you love to be his neighbor.

Nancy in the sports car I promised her. It needs a set of wood spoke, 20 inch tires, if available. I also said we would camp a few days in the Red Desert of Wyoming to enjoy the sandy beach in our free time. About 400 square miles of beach to ourselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3038.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	322946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3186.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	322947  

Name:	DSCN3043.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	579.4 KB
ID:	322948  
Old 09-20-2018, 04:11 AM   #69
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’ve been trying to figure out a place to boondock in Medicine Bow NF for a few years. Looking through maps and reading reviews. I’d prefer a NFS CG, but am getting more flexible. We look for shade and a nearby stream or lake. I think I just need to actually go and explore there.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I’ve been trying to figure out a place to boondock in Medicine Bow NF for a few years. Looking through maps and reading reviews. I’d prefer a NFS CG, but am getting more flexible. We look for shade and a nearby stream or lake. I think I just need to actually go and explore there.

June 2, 2006
Medicine Bow National Forest
Second photo road in MBNF
First time with our Airstream and empty campsites next to sign.

June 3, 2006
Oregon Buttes, Wyoming (Red Desert)
First time with our Airstream and empty campsites for miles
(enlarge photo to find trailer)

June 5, 2006
Western Wyoming

June 7, 2006
West of Big Piney, Wyoming

Hook up your trailer. Go to Wyoming. Find the BLM or NFS on an Atlas. We looked, we found a road, we camped. First time for everything! It can be done.

Wyoming, for example, has streams, rivers and lakes. Not in the Medicine National Forest. There are State campsites for fees at lakes to the west of the MBNF and the South, NW, Central and SW parts of the State. The Snowy Range has lakes, North Platte River but you may spend a few trips to locate what might work for you.

If you are using a magazine to find these spots... avoid them.

It took Nancy and I, YEARS, of trial and error just to put the 2016 Wyoming Adventure together. It takes time, but it is the journey that makes it worth your time. Anyone can do it the easy way, if someone wants to give up isolated. unknown campsites with GPS and elevation.

That is not going to happen. But there are thousands of campsites that you can pick from. You have to go there. They are NOT on a map. When you find those 'special' sites... keep them to yourself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1135.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	323133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1137.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	323134  

Name:	DSCN1185.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	323135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1211.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	323136  

Name:	DSCN1227.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	323137  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #71
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks Ray, we love Wyoming. One of our favorite spots is up above PineDale on the way to DuBois. We’ve spent 20+ nights (a lot for us that still have to take vacation days) up there. When I’m looking at National Forests, Medicine Bow always catches my eye. It is a lot closer to St Louis. Then I start digging in and checking out each CG, and what’s around it etc..
(We look for shade and privacy.) We usually just end up heading for the BigHorns or PineDale. Just 10 months now until retirement, which means flexibility, and a lot more time to check things out. Thanks for the info on MB.
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks Ray, we love Wyoming. One of our favorite spots is up above PineDale on the way to DuBois. We’ve spent 20+ nights (a lot for us that still have to take vacation days) up there. When I’m looking at National Forests, Medicine Bow always catches my eye. It is a lot closer to St Louis. Then I start digging in and checking out each CG, and what’s around it etc..
(We look for shade and privacy.) We usually just end up heading for the BigHorns or PineDale. Just 10 months now until retirement, which means flexibility, and a lot more time to check things out. Thanks for the info on MB.
Jeff
You have the perfect setup for this area. If you get into 15" tires, D Rated, you will have fewer concerns once off the pavement.

We were in the Pinedale/Boulder/Big Piney, WY area a month ago. Great Car Wash in Pinedale... I must add. One restaurant that is always packed and so so.

Big Horns... lots of trees and finding a flat spot is nearly impossible. Getting UP is tough. Getting down... is as close to a death wish one can find themselves.

Missouri was tough for us getting adjusted to paying State Parks, but they were decent. Graham Cave off of I-70 was interesting due to the cave. I have a big interest in Indians and Archaeology. Miss the plowed Missouri corn fields for hunting arrowheads, but now they are not using 14"+ discs to turn the fields.

Enjoy your retirement. Many by that time have run out of enthusiasm. For me, I need a purpose which keeps me traveling. Find that 'purpose' and you will be on your way for years of enjoyment. In an Airstream... or a small tent.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
You have the perfect setup for this area. If you get into 15" tires, D Rated, you will have fewer concerns once off the pavement.
I am curious. Are you saying 15" tires have an advantage over 16"?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:

June 2, 2006

June 3, 2006

June 5, 2006
Western Wyoming

June 7, 2006

It took Nancy and I, YEARS, of trial and error just to put the 2016 Wyoming Adventure together. It takes time, but it is the journey that makes it worth your time. Anyone can do it the easy way, if someone wants to give up isolated. unknown campsites with GPS and elevation.

That is not going to happen. But there are thousands of campsites that you can pick from. You have to go there. They are NOT on a map. When you find those 'special' sites... keep them to yourself.
WOW Ray! Those are amazing places. My wife and I just started boondocking this year and now know what you mean about it taking years to find great spots. We have not been very successful yet, but we've found a few places that we really enjoyed. It does take a lot of time and many miles of searching to find these spots. We spent too much time being unsuccessful in Colorado this summer and some time in Wyoming where we were more successful. You are right that finding these spots becomes an adventure and gives you reason to explore during retirement.

Thanks for sharing these awesome pictures!
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I am curious. Are you saying 15" tires have an advantage over 16"?
My 2006 23 foot Airstream came with the standard Goodyear 14" tires.

The only advantage of 14" or 15" tires over 16" is... PRICE. You pay for this savings with replacing tires more often, or have to replace the 16" tires due to AGE.

I do not know which models had... 15" D Rated tires, but saw them as standard on a Front Bed 23 foot 2017 or so. Was I surprised.

Anyone who owns a 23 foot Airstream with 14" tires... C Rated... be careful. D Rated Goodyear Endurance may be D Rated 14" which is a big improvement over my 2006 Safari 23 foot with Marathons C Rated... which have been discussed and buried.

My 16" Michelins on our 25 foot International have given us no problem.

Naysayers claim popped rivets, screws backing out of cabinets and total mayhem within and outside your Airstream. I had this with 14" C Rated Tires. It is not the tire... once everyone figures that out, we will all have a better trailer coming out of Jackson Center. This tire belongs on go carts. Even my 1956 and 1964 VW's had 15" tires. Four of them, unlike our 23 foot TRAILER which is heavier with 4 14" C rated tires.

I loved the trailer. Some automobile wheels would fit the bolt pattern for 15", Zero offset... but by that time... the larger refrigerator in the 25 foot was the breaking point.

Trailers and Tires are a team, working together. I guess anything will work on asphalt and concrete travel. When a small stone on a paved road will puncture a 14" trailer tire... that is junk. My learning curve on tires was slow at first with all of the ST versus P and LTX E Rated tires was due to reading posts about how bad they were for our trailer.

Fiber Glass belted. Steel belts, Radials... I would not be surprised there was an outcry on these changes as well.

Of course all of this if from my experiences. My 14" experiences with the 23 foot Safari on off the paved roads, using 14" Marathons forced me into an Airstream with 15". I am not a RV Park 'camper'. I want a Travel Trailer and the tires are the most important part of this travel.

Lumatic knows this and is using a cattle prod to get me to speak up. He survived the 2016 New Mexico adventure! He did not die. His trailer survived. Lumatic is an experienced Boondocker. Iceman from Tucson did the same.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
You are never... LOST, you just need a few directions to get to where you wanted to go.

I add some inspiration to those who are lost, temporarily. It is just a bit of confidence. A map is handy, but 80%, or more of possible OTG Boondocking campsites are not on a map. Use the map to get into an area... and understand that once you are off the road... Forest Service, County, State, BLM and any other map may use different road numbers. Yes... you will discover that sooner than later.

Often a Compass is needed to decide which of the three roads to take... maybe right. Maybe... who really cares... go towards what looks appealing to you.

If a site is on a Map, in a Magazine, in a Campsite Book... use them for backup. The 'gems' are for those with curiousity to discover and mark it ON a MAP for your own information.

I include some photographs of Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado. The building is the tallest structure at Medicine Bow, Wyoming, home of the Virginian. Montana with the Missouri River. Oregon Buttes, Wyoming. Idaho for miles and miles.

Enlarge several photographs. Those are our campsites in the distance.

Get lost occasionally. Get frustrated occasionally. This is a confidence builder when everything looks better, than where you were the night before.

When everything has gone to Hell... set camp, sit back and have dinner. Tomorrow is just another adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0834.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	323257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1860.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	323258  

Name:	DSCN1903.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	323259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1992.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	323260  

Name:	DSCN1968.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	323261  
Old 09-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Pruners... the ones you use, not eat for digestion

One very important aspect of OTG Boondocking, I have ignored.

No, not suggesting any kinds of Atlas to use.
No, not suggesting any tire or wheel sizes.
No, not advising you to avoid Cheetos, when fruit may be better for you.

TRIMMERS. aka Pruners, Loppers

- Get a long handled one for the leverage. Aluminum or wood.
- Lowes or Home Depot have a great selection.
- Pruner. Shears. Loppers.

When you encounter brush or tree branches that encroach onto the narrow road... you will thank me in the future.

The Forest Service... does not provide this service. Many mountain roads have had no maintenance in years. Overgrown brush or tree branches will scratch your Airstream. Forest... s e r v i c e... is a term that has no meaning.

Two kinds: Soft brush of leaves. Dead wood that will scratch your trailer.

We carry two trimmers, so both of us go to work in some tight areas. Take the clippings and pull them off to the side of the road.

If I get bored while sitting at camp, which is often... I go on my merry way and trim out the overgrowth along the two ruts to our campsite. Toss boulders off to the side and other muscle building options, rather than growing a posterior out of your lawn chair.

A branch that slaps you on the side of the head... Get out of my way. An endangered forest in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:

June 2, 2006

June 3, 2006

June 5, 2006
Western Wyoming

June 7, 2006

Hook up your trailer. Go to Wyoming. Find the BLM or NFS on an Atlas. We looked, we found a road, we camped. First time for everything! It can be done.

Wyoming, for example, has streams, rivers and lakes. Not in the Medicine National Forest. There are State campsites for fees at lakes to the west of the MBNF and the South, NW, Central and SW parts of the State. The Snowy Range has lakes, North Platte River but you may spend a few trips to locate what might work for you.

If you are using a magazine to find these spots... avoid them.

Wow. Awesome.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Ray, I lived in Rock Springs for a while and know those mtns. like the back of my hand. That is a wonderful part of the world and 110% not for newbies. Darn you, now I'd dreaming about going there and setting up camp
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Wow. Awesome.
Vermont... the Green Mountain State. An eastern outlier of the Rocky Mountains, no doubt.

Not the Peach State, nor Sunshine, nor the Show Me State... but next to New Hampshire The Granite State.

Explore the 624 square miles of Green Mountain National Forest and send US some pictures. This is almost THREE TIMES the size of the one and only, Nebraska National Forest, which I drove by years ago and did not stop to view the 222 square miles of pine.

I blinked, but my eyes were dry at the time.