Old 10-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hey Ray.....

So sorry. It appears that I have hit a raw nerve, and perhaps spoken out of turn. Could you devine exactly what rockdocking is.

I was really just trying to share some observations I had when camping
15 miles from a dirt road that was eight miles from a paved road. I used to enjoy ( a little to old to carry 50 lbs for 30 miles ) camping where it was
hard to get to. Trying not to leave foot prints, so the next hiker could pretend
that he ( or she ) was the first person to ever be there. Even now that I own a trailer, I am still glad that there are places that even jeeps can't get to.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
Rockdocking is NOT Boondocking. The idea needs to be defined by the people who do press the envelope a bit more.
it's tough to argue about what rockdocking is because it's not a word (i listened to more than enough semantics and made up words in architecture school). however, the way you have described it sure sounds like boondocking to me.

the idea to create a "rockdocking" sub forum is silly. if that would happen, then i and every other member (kevbo is the first to come to mind) would be putting in plugs for made up words to try and get a sub forum created.

i admit, everyone likes to feed their own ego, myself included, but trying to create a subforum for a made up word is just plain silly.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Giving Up

I have to admit there are some cliffs not worth climbing, nor holes worth digging into. I sure had fun at first on the forums, but then reality rears its head and the fun evaporates. When the critics out number the enthusiasts, it is time to check out.

I appreciate those who have shared ideas with me in the short time I began adding to these threads. You are the ones who made my time spent on this forum, promoting Airstreaming as a sport for those still remaining young at heart, rather than a parking lot gathering for the elderly. You will find me among those trails of dust in the west, enjoying the company of those whose paths we may meet.

May your water always taste sweet and your memories of the good times Airstreaming always draw a tear. My wife and I have been blessed with the company of our two Blue Heelers, some occasional Rockdocker, and there is nothing else I need to finish the circle. Thank you for listening. Good bye.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ray...I am sorry to see you go. I have admired your enthusiasm to take boondocking to an extreme form...and really get off the beaten path...with an AS in tow, none the less...and your willingness to share your experiences with those of us who are less inclind or perhaps not brave enough to enjoy our Airstreams the same way.

Whether what you have call "rockdocking" is really more than boondocking to an extreme, I don't know...I thought I understood it to be just that—an extreme form of boondocking. You seem to have a different view somehow, and that's OK, I reckon. It seems a matter of semantics to me. Whether "boondocking" justifies a subforum of its own is really a decision for the forum administrators.

What bothers me most about this whole discussion is the feeling I get that somehow the way I chose to—and am able—to enjoy my Airstream is somehow a lesser form of Airstreaming than someone who has the wherewithall to go into the wilderness with thiers. Of course we each have our own druthers in how we enjoy ourselves in the Airstreaming community, but that doesn't mean that someone who enjoys RV parks with full hookups or who likes to stay in Wal-Mart parking lots to save a buck, or who enjoys dry camping in national forests with fire rings and picnic tables is any less of an Airstreamer than those who travel miles on gravel roads or worse to take it to the edge. We are all Airstreamers and we ought to be able to appreciate and respect everyone's preferences in how we chose to enjoy our Airstreams.

It's disappointing see you leave the forum because you might not be able to have a subform called "Rockdocking"...rather than finding a way to bring your particular form of AS enjoyment to the larger community so that you can exchange your thoughts, ideas and experiences with those of like mind within the community. Not everyone will become "rockdockers" but there is a substantial segment of the community that heartily enjoys boondocking...and your audience is there. Who knows...if you stuck around perhaps you could draw out some of the more adventurous of them.

Take care of yourself,
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
So this is interesting....

Rockdocking......hmmmm......most definitley a made up word.

Having said that, I have had my Airstream in places that 99% of the folks on here wouldn't dream of taking their aluminum bubble. I was VERY careful during travel. Read, slow going, where the road is nothing but large rocks and small boulders. I had no problems with my Caravel en route. I got to camp within 15 feet of lakes edge with the nearest camper about a half mile away, at least. Not to toot my own horn but this wasn't an easy task. I have taken my TT where the only way I could tow it to the CG was in 4WD because the last stretch of gravel was too steep for 2WD towing a TT. The upside, I was able to recreate in total comfort in my Airstream. I could watch my fishing pole from the kitchen window while making dinner. I doesn't get much better than that.

I am unable to back pack due to stupid decisions in my younger days that ravaged my spine, so this is the best I can get. And no I am not telling where this is !!

So yes, I have had my AS where most Airstreamers wouldn't tow their silver tube. To those who have seen my Caravel, It doesn't look like I have taken it to the backwoods does it ?
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
OK, we had a fire ring made from rock, no table and no pits. I still call this boondocking...
And before you left, did you disperse the rocks and ash so you couldn't tell there had been a fire there? If so, great. Leaving no trace should be part of rockdocking.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #21
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
And before you left, did you disperse the rocks and ash so you couldn't tell there had been a fire there? If so, great. Leaving no trace should be part of rockdocking.
Yes I did and then I dug it out again 5 months later when we went back to the same spot. It took a while to find the exact spot. I had help filling it a second time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	47294  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM   #22
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
rockdocking, I like it!

Ray I dig what your saying--theres no need to check out--theres always more critics than enthusiasts in this world--so what?--just blow by em and keep on moving in your own direction--to me what your saying extends to the urban world as well--as an artist that makes a living doin artfairs Ive become an "urban rock docker"sans the airstreme, finding places to sleep that most have never heard of--just give me a tarp,sleeping bag and a pillow and Im set--at the Traverse City artfair theres a wonderful set of bushes near the admin bldg that are totally hidden once your in em!--And in Gettysburg me and my tarp had a wonderful nites rest accross the tracks, in a corn field, behind the motel-and in the am the motels restroom to wash up--or when I attended college and was firing the gas kiln all night,found an office unlocked,wrapped up in the curtins for a good nites sleep--rehung em in the am--and all was well--now Id call that urban rockdockin, pushing the envelop-dont need no stinking concrete pad to park on--and it goes without saying-leave no trace........keep on rocking,docking, that is................jim
Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Yes I did and then I dug it out again 5 months later when we went back to the same spot. It took a while to find the exact spot. I had help filling it a second time.
You get bonus points for re-using the same spot!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
What Critics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund
When the critics out number the enthusiasts, it is time to check out.
Ray, only you can choose the route you want to go. However, lets be frank here. As far as I can find, nobody criticized you for how you like to camp, although one can certainly find instances of you criticizing others, at least by implication, in these threads. In fact, in post 17
Quote:
Airstreaming as a sport for those still remaining young at heart, rather than a parking lot gathering for the elderly.

What happened is this: you coined a new term that turned out not to catch on and you then accuse others of being critical. Interestingly, the people you are accusing of being critical, are the members who use their rigs the most like you are advocating and not the RV park folks.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Boondocking far away from the cities in cool fresh air with natural surroundings and good star viewing at night is certainly attractive to some portion of the Airforums members, myself included.

I would hope folks would contribute to the boondocking threads with items like;
Where to go,
How to be prepared,
What to do if such & such happens,
etc.

I think those would be helpful.

Comments like I went farther than you but I wont tell you where are not helpful.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Boondocking far away from the cities in cool fresh air with natural surroundings and good star viewing at night is certainly attractive to some portion of the Airforums members, myself included.

I would hope folks would contribute to the boondocking threads with items like;
Where to go,
How to be prepared,
What to do if such & such happens,
etc.

I think those would be helpful.

Comments like I went farther than you but I wont tell you where are not helpful.
My comment about not telling where my spot is was purely tounge in cheek.

It is in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness area about 2.5 Hrs. from Portland, OR.. Google "Ollalie Lake". VERY few campsites that will fit anything bigger than a 20 footer, or you can park you TV in the overflow parking. Then you could probably go about 25, any bigger than that you will have trouble making some of the turns in the road.

Only one camping area has reservations, the rest are FCFS. There are three campgrounds.

No motor boats allowed, not even electric.

A couple years ago they had a guy up there on the forest service dime digging all the big rocks out of the road with a backhoe. They then graded it and regraveled it. So it is better than it was but still pretty bumpy.

To the flyfisherman on here, they stock the lake with brood trout. The biggest I think they have taken out is somewhere around 8 lbs. Nearly always on some sort of fly.

It is too bad that Ray bailed. We might have had a few things in common.

If anyone is ever up my way, shoot me an email if you want to go into the back country. I can give you some pointers or maybe even Airstream there with you !
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Rockdocking IS a made up word

Sometimes it is easier to give up on fitting among such a diverse group as Airstreamers. Such is my invented term or words: Rockdocking, Rockdocker, Dingos, etc.. After spending over a week at Jackson Center, Ohio at Airstream, my wife and I met many long term and short term owners. Maybe Kim heading to the ski slopes of Utah and Barry heading back to California would try Rockdocking, but that was a beginning for us. After the email from Michael in Tampa this evening, maybe there might be a spark to ignite some back country interest and fellowship. Maybe even active, positive discussions on the forum about off road Airstreaming.

Back country trailer camping with an Airstream of any vintage is like taking a "stretch limo" off the road. Apparently it just is not done... much. But this limo CAN handle almost any road that can be found on a DeLorme state atlas and many roads that are not on the map. I have the confidence in my trailer and judgement, if only others were to get the confidence needed to just try it... once. It is not ego as one had said earlier. Rockdocking is an "idea" to be shared among those needing an introduction into the unknown.

Those Airstreamers who do not find Rockdocking as a viable form of outdoor adventure with a trailer are not forced or even asked to make comments or vote on this issue on the forum. It is not even necessary to make your negative opinion(s) heard. A true Rockdocker knows who has spent time in a tent, under a tarp, or camped in a trailer where few others dare to travel. (Although I do, now, prefer the trailer option most.) Our sunsets are limited in number, so now is the best time to Rockdock.

"It is best to try something new now, and failed at it, than to have done nothing and succeeded."
Old 11-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
xtreme rockdocking

xtreme rock docking with my 345 in the himalayas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xtreme rockdocking.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	49764