Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #41
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Forgot to mention RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) along with CIBC, BofM, TD, and Scotia.

Funny as I have an account at the Royal.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
And don't freak out when you need to get somewhere and the sign says it's 200 to there—that's 122 miles. Most Canadians, except for the young ones, still seem to think in miles and when I ask how far it is or how many miles, they answer in miles. Speed limits are a bit lower in Canada and they don't drive as fast as we do. On the other hand, there aren't as many cops (except for the OPP in Ontario) as I've seen in some parts of the US.

I still don't understand for forecasts for rain in centimeters or millimeters.

As for figuring what your gas mileage is, that requires higher mathematics and a calculator. Same with how much a gallon of gas costs. Before Canada went metric, they used the Imperial Gallon which was 5 quarts and just as confusing.

As much as we like Canada, it is a relief when we return to the US and don't have to multiply kilometers by .62 in our heads (we like to be exact).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #43
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Aage,

I wasn't really grousing (well, ok I was, but didn't mean to). I thoroughly understand what a hassle it is for a guy trying to service us guys who couldn't be bothered to change some bucks ahead of time.

And I sympathize the raw deal our Canadian friends get with books and publications - even though the loonie and the dollar are close to par, they still get ripped if they pay the list price.

I usually use my credit card anyway - the fee is not that much and there is still a little more bang for the buck up there. Fading fast, though.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
After calling some credit card companies today about the surcharge for doing the exchange rate this is what I found out:
American Express: 2.7% on all charges
Master Card: 3% on all charges
Discover: 2% on all charges

It was a good idea to check with them ahead of time. Thanks for the tip!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
That's good information. A couple of years ago it was 1% and then the credit card companies figured another way to rip us off. For years travel writers have been telling people to charge it because it's the cheapest way to go, but I'm not sure that's true anymore. I can't remember what Canadian banks charge because I haven't changed money there since 2006 or '07, but I think it was less than 3% and maybe around 2%. Maybe someone else can update us on bank charges and then we can stop enriching the credit card companies. I wish you had called Visa—didn't you know all our cards are Visa?

When do you leave?

Gene
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Traveling Canada

Bluto,

We are currently in our seventh week of a trip through Ontario. Three items I have not seen discussed are phone service, Canadian Holidays and beer/wine. Mobile phone service can become very expensive on your U.S. plan. We contacted our provider a day before crossing into Canada and they had an unlimited calling plan for an additional $20/mo. I had heard rumors of people being charged very high roaming and out of area charges.

Secondly, are Canadian holidays. We were spending the week in the Manitulin Island area several weeks ago on "Civic Day" and had planned to travel East to French River Provential Park. Unknown to us was during "Civic Day Weekend" about half the population of Toronto heads to this area and the parks were full. Luckily we were able to spend a few additional days in Little Current, Ont. before moving on.

Third, most beer and wine is sold only in Provential stores at a premium. Not much you can do about it but advance knowledge will prevent sticker shock.

Finally, we find our Amex card is taken almost everywhere, Discover is taken the least, and Master Card is used as a last resort because the fees are the highest. When we needed cash I use the TD ATM to make withdrawals from my checking account with the normal out of network fee, $2.

Hope you have a great time in the "Great White North"
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Verizon has an option to include Canada, but if you go very far north, there'll be no cell service at all. Rogers Communications won't let anyone else use their towers so if you don't have their phone, no service. If you use a land line (remember pay phones?), the ATT calling card costs 6 times more per minute in Canada for long distance.

Canada is big on sin taxes—alcohol and cigarettes are very heavily taxed. Bring as much as you can (legally of course) and a full tank of gas—that's taxed a lot too. I don't think every province has liquor sold only at gov't stores, but really don't remember.

The Canadian dollar today was 90.77¢ US, so other things can be bargains—like a 9% discount because prices of many things are pretty much the same. We did notice a couple of months ago that food prices in supermarkets had gone up a lot and was higher than the US.

If you travel in October, Thanksgiving comes a month earlier in Canada and you can stuff yourself twice!

Gene
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just doing all the checks and fixes to the trailer this week. Next week need to reinstall my Reese wd and sway hitch from top to bottom as I have put a new receiver on the truck since I pulled the trailer last time. I also have a different set of lighter wd bars that are an inch longer than the ones I'm retiring so the arm brackets and all have to be moved.
Some last minute packing and flush the water system and I'll be ready to roll.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If you find yourselves on the Trans Canada (#1) highway travelling from Golden to Revelstoke in British Columbia, look for the Illicilliwaet campground in the Roger's Pass in B.C.'s Glacier National Park. It does not have RV hook-ups (has flush toilet's), but it's stunningly beautiful.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
kevin242,
You never know, I just might be around there, and I'll be sure to include it if I am. Thanks for the heads up. I'll print off all of the posts to this thread so I have all the info with me when I get up that way. I'm not sure yet if my Verizon broadband will be available for me to have internet access. I'll call them tomorrow to see what they say.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Illecillewaet

I found a picture... and corrected my spelling!
Attached Images

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #52
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Keep in mind that in the mountainous areas of BC (most of the province!) there is very sketchy service as the towers must be "line of sight", which would require a cell tower at every bend in the road. The southern 1/3 of the province is well-covered by Telus, Rogers, Bell, Virgin, but things are not so simple in the northern 2/3--low population densities add to the economic challenge of installing towers, as well. I'm frequently on the road for work, and find that there are pockets of cell service near towns and villages, but that peters out quickly between them.
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote