Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It can snow in Denver in September and does every few years. Denver and Calgary are both just east of the mountains and have similar weather experiences.

Gene

Old 07-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #30
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I'm surprised you did not see any banks in 1000 miles.

The Canadian banking system is different. There are only 5 or 6 big banks in Canada with branches coast to coast.

This has advantages, for example our banks are very conservatively run and they escaped the recent US bank meltdown nearly unscathed, and no bank customer was in danger of losing any money. But it does mean there are not as many bank branches around.

If you are looking for a bank in Canada look for Scotia, (Bank of Nova Scotia now also called Scotia bank) CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) TD (Toronto Dominion) and Bank of Montreal signs. They are the biggest banks with branches from coast to coast.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #31

Cobourg , Ontario
Late September and early October is when we in the North experience the spectacular show call Fall colors. People travel hundreds of miles for the scenery and views.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #32

Cobourg , Ontario
Every shopping mall I have been in had at least one bank branch but they seem to hide in obscure corners.

Also Credit Unions are popular especially in small towns and offer all the services of banks. You do not need to be a member to change money.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
On our way to Alaska, we entered Alberta on a Saturday at midday, nothing was open. We were well past Edmonton by Monday and didn't see a bank until we got to Watson Lake, Yukon. Rough guess on the miles. There was probably one in Dawson Creek, BC, but we were so excited to see the beginning of the Alaska Hwy, we forgot to look.

Credit card served us well.

Gene
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Cold Lake , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post

The Canadian banking system is different. There are only 5 or 6 big banks in Canada with branches coast to coast.

This has advantages, for example our banks are very conservatively run and they escaped the recent US bank meltdown nearly unscathed, and no bank customer was in danger of losing any money. But it does mean there are not as many bank branches around.

If you are looking for a bank in Canada look for Scotia, (Bank of Nova Scotia now also called Scotia bank) CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) TD (Toronto Dominion) and Bank of Montreal signs. They are the biggest banks with branches from coast to coast.
I got this from the World Wide Want...

trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Really looking forward to this trip. You Canadians are making it look better and better to me. I like the thought of nice days and cool crisp nights and uncrowded parks. I'll be travelling and camping for a full month this trip. Mountains are my favorite places and the trees starting to turn color will be the icing on the cake.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bluto, we have always enjoyed our trips to Canada and I think you will too. Let us know how it's going, and photos, of course.

Remember to multiply speed limits by .62 and if the forecast is for 20˚, that's warm, not cold.

Gene
Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bluto, we have always enjoyed our trips to Canada and I think you will too. Let us know how it's going, and photos, of course.

Remember to multiply speed limits by .62 and if the forecast is for 20˚, that's warm, not cold.

Gene

Ha, ha! Will do.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #38
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I had to have some tire work done at Watson Lake. There was a sign on the cash register that said their exchange rate was one for one. If you wanted a better rate you could walk to the bank, about a mile down the road.

Pat
Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I had to have some tire work done at Watson Lake. There was a sign on the cash register that said their exchange rate was one for one. If you wanted a better rate you could walk to the bank, about a mile down the road.

Pat
Well, time is of the essence, as the saying goes; today that's not as bad a deal as it sounds. One dollar Canadian is about 93˘ US just now, and I think it was maybe 8-10 months ago they were at par...

Here's a handy site: http://www.xe.com/
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #40

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
Hope the "chill" you got from the weather forecast was matched by the "thrill" you got when you saw the gas was only 89.9 cents.

Until you found out that was per liter (quart). LOL.

Easy conversion of speed limits,

50 KmHr = 30

80 = 50

90 = 55

100 = 60

Or for the mathematically inclined 1 Km = 5 furlongs or 5/8 of a mile.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #41

Cobourg , Ontario
Forgot to mention RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) along with CIBC, BofM, TD, and Scotia.

Funny as I have an account at the Royal.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
And don't freak out when you need to get somewhere and the sign says it's 200 to there—that's 122 miles. Most Canadians, except for the young ones, still seem to think in miles and when I ask how far it is or how many miles, they answer in miles. Speed limits are a bit lower in Canada and they don't drive as fast as we do. On the other hand, there aren't as many cops (except for the OPP in Ontario) as I've seen in some parts of the US.

I still don't understand for forecasts for rain in centimeters or millimeters.

As for figuring what your gas mileage is, that requires higher mathematics and a calculator. Same with how much a gallon of gas costs. Before Canada went metric, they used the Imperial Gallon which was 5 quarts and just as confusing.

As much as we like Canada, it is a relief when we return to the US and don't have to multiply kilometers by .62 in our heads (we like to be exact).

Gene