Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2003 19' Bambi
Union Grove , Texas
Refrigerator fan

We want to try boondocking at a downtown rally, but we are not using a generator or solar panels. Even if we turn off the refrigerator while booning, the cooler fan still runs. Our 2015 FC RB does NOT have a toggle switch to turn off the fan unless it is really hidden up in the "locker." I have pushed my head up in there to look almost tangling my hair in the fan - Yeah I know - turn off the fan - -well that is exactly what I would like to know how to do. I would disconnect the wires, but they are extremely tight and I am afraid of breaking something. If I had my way, I would "rip" the fan out and install another one, but I am afraid of making things worse. It runs when it is 47 degrees, at night and when it starts up, it sounds like a jake brake on a downhill mountain pass.....help....I am pretty sure I can do if I can watch a video....

Old 09-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Just pull off the spade clip connector at the fan. My standard procedure.

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I changed out the factory fan on our 16' sport to 2 computer style fans. It made a huge difference in noise. I was having trouble sleeping with the original. It was a pretty easy swap, I ended up cutting a garden hose to use as mounts. Before the swap I would pull one of the connectors, after the swap I never felt the need.

There is a reason it runs, it's probably best to let it do its thing. I'm not sure how the new fans battery draw compared to the original. I can't imagine it made much difference as it ran a lot less often even though there were 2 of them.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by london1201 View Post
We want to try boondocking at a downtown rally, but we are not using a generator or solar panels. Even if we turn off the refrigerator while booning, the cooler fan still runs. Our 2015 FC RB does NOT have a toggle switch to turn off the fan unless it is really hidden up in the "locker." I have pushed my head up in there to look almost tangling my hair in the fan - Yeah I know - turn off the fan - -well that is exactly what I would like to know how to do. I would disconnect the wires, but they are extremely tight and I am afraid of breaking something. If I had my way, I would "rip" the fan out and install another one, but I am afraid of making things worse. It runs when it is 47 degrees, at night and when it starts up, it sounds like a jake brake on a downhill mountain pass.....help....I am pretty sure I can do if I can watch a video....
London1201 on our FC20 2014 it is at the front door (bulkhead fr the refer). Is your manual silent on it's location?

I would first check the thermostat as power runs thru the fuse, to the stat and then to the fan. It may be stuck on calling for juice all the time. Mine is located screwed (crudely) the to the fans with a wire to & from. Others have mounted in near the fan. This is also an easy disconnect location since they are blade connections.

see post #23
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...-151523-2.html

If you don't have an on/off switch inside, I would add one as sometimes it is nice to over ride it. However I would swap out the fan. It is the best hour and $20 I've spent on the AS.

Here is a loooong link to fan replacement options, but remember this covers a range of units & designs.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ml#post1856108

my post with pics is #711 and discussion to follow

I swapped out the fan but did not add any flashing to alter flow of air. We have a thermostat and a on/off switch

Note silvergates solution and it works like a bandit. Assuming the stat is operational, on my unit I open the cover and it goes off within a few minutes.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...an-151523.html

Looks like Bill added a simple toggle switch to override the stat function.

Bob
Old 09-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2003 19' Bambi
Union Grove , Texas
cooling fan and boon docking

Bob - my "use/store" switch is at front door - yes I can turn the switch to store and the fan will finally go off but of course, so do a few things that I will need when we boondocks (i.e. water pump)......

Now I have another thought - and I am not mechanical, electrical, etc.....but we have been out in the trailer for 5+ weeks camping at parks with 50 amp - we are now home and are "docked" with a 30 amp adapter and not running anything to speak off.

My question is - the fan "noise" is substantially less since we are hooked up to 30 amp - is there any possibility that these two issues are related? (This sounds so stupid that I hesitate to even ask).

Again, thank you for the inputs - and I will review all the links, suggestions and see what I feel like I might be able to accomplish......THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
The simplest method is like AWCHIEF/Mike said, just unplug it. There is a connector wire that plugs into a blade connector very close to the fan. Pull it off and the fan stops.

The problem is the button thermostat. It's either defective or the activation setting is off. I had the same problem and replaced that button thermostat with an OEM. That lasted one trip before it stayed on too. I went to a commercial site and got one that works much better. It's been on over a year now, including 3 months on the road. Took a trip in August and the thermostat works fine.

As to the noise being lower when on shore power, the converter is supplying a higher voltage to charge your batteries, making the fan run a little faster. That could be what's doing it.

Here are some good pictures that detail the thermostat and the wires you can disconnect. Either one will stop the fan:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ml#post1610500

I got my button thermostat from Senasys. You can email them and tell them what you need, they were very helpful. When I contacted them. Here is the link to their site. I don't recall that they were expensive and I got 2 of them. Always good to have a backup. Sometimes shipping costs more than the items you're buying. Here is their reply to my email

http://senasys.com/products/thermostats-3-4
"The 430 family will work with 12VDC. The F016 temp code maybe a better solution then the 77F unit as it may take a long time for your system to get below the 77degree set point"

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Great post by richw46...great advice. Start with the button stat, that will solve the always staying on problem.

If you want to make it essentially inaudible, swap it out. You'll be astounded how quite the upgraded fans are. If you didn't feel comfortable on the ele side this should be cheap repair at any dealer. Note the ele is easier than you think and I'm sure the forum folks can support any questions. Same for the on/off switch. Outs is on the right going out the door...opposite the store/use on the left. Now I turn it on if the refer is on and just leave it (even on the road) and when I'm in camp I open the top refer vent door.

Rich46...great links too. I'll save your button advice. It's a cheap piece of equipment to have in the back up tool-bag.

Bob
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Hi all, I'm about to buy a new fridge, probably Dometic, just stumbled across this thread, wondering if I should replace fan when installing , are they cheap and noisy when new ?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
Hi all, I'm about to buy a new fridge, probably Dometic, just stumbled across this thread, wondering if I should replace fan when installing , are they cheap and noisy when new ?
nickclifford, not sure what your setup is but I understand earlier trailers may have a different refer vent design. The 2nd link above (09-24-2016 05:17 PM) is a great thread that covers a wide range of AS refer designs. You may or may not have the need to add baffles to direct air flow.

Having said that if you have a fan...unless it is a very recent vintage, spend the $20 and 30 minutes and go quiet and improve efficiency. I only swapped the fan (and re-routed a bit of wiring) but did not add any baffles.

Bob
Old 10-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
nickclifford, not sure what your setup is but I understand earlier trailers may have a different refer vent design. The 2nd link above (09-24-2016 05:17 PM) is a great thread that covers a wide range of AS refer designs. You may or may not have the need to add baffles to direct air flow.

Having said that if you have a fan...unless it is a very recent vintage, spend the $20 and 30 minutes and go quiet and improve efficiency. I only swapped the fan (and re-routed a bit of wiring) but did not add any baffles.

Bob
I'm replacing fridge in my '72 Land Yacht .. total novice at this, my local rv place would have cost be $2k all in, so gonna try myslef ..
Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickclifford View Post
I'm replacing fridge in my '72 Land Yacht .. total novice at this, my local rv place would have cost be $2k all in, so gonna try myslef ..

nickclifford good for you. Keep us posted. I suspect this is one of those projects where time planning/research far exceeds the eventual install.

Bob
Old 10-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
We just got back from our 4 day maiden voyage in our 25ft FC and the fridge fan ran the whole time. The weather was not hot, from a low of 52 with rain to a high in the mid 70's sunny with a light breeze. The fridge temperature was a very cool 37 degrees the whole time and we were running on shore power. Should it have run the whole time? Did I miss something in the manual?

Thank you

Matti
Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mattirs, not all TT models are the same in refer cooling compartment design so run time may vary from model to model.

However all the time IMO is not right. I'd check what Rchw46 indicated as the problem ( thermostat button). Mine is attached to the cooling fins...see my post #4 for a visual of ours. I suspect your 25 in not that different in location.

Bob

p.s. The fan will eventually fail so you may want to consider swapping fr a more efficient model that is quieter. There are some informative links re the swap in the same post
Old 11-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Mattirs,

It may be normal for your trailer. We have a 25RB, and our fan would run most of the time in the conditions you describe. Our trailer has the upper and lower fridge vent doors. We replaced the fan with a quieter one. Lots of of threads on this.

-Bob