Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Hi! I upgraded to a 25 RB this summer and had this issue on my first trip. Airstream confirmed it is designed to run non stop. Not only does it kill the battery when boondocking, but it is really annoying to listen to. In the short term, I just pulled the fuse on the fan, and eventually had a fan switch installed. My Bambi came with one. I never had an issue with cooling with that fridge or this one without the fan on until the outside temps are approaching 90. I prop open the outside panel on the rear of the fridge to allow for some extra venting when the fan is off. Airstream really didn't consider boondocking in the newer trailers as there are a lot of parasitic power drains in addition to issues like the fan. I have discovered during hours of conversation with them in solving a multitude of issues that they really don't understand it. Mine came with a 1000 watt inverter, which aside from being too large to be practical for boondocking for any length of time due to the inefficiency for small appliance use, draws significant power even when turned OFF. I had a cut off switch installed to disconnect it from the battery which solved the issue.
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Hi! I upgraded to a 25 RB this summer and had this issue on my first trip. Airstream confirmed it is designed to run non stop. .
There are 2 wires connected to the button thermostat. The thermostat has an upper and lower setting for connect/disconnect. When the fan runs continuously it means the upper limit was reached and fan turned on, but either the temperature cannot be brought below the lower limit or the thermostat is bad, most likely the thermostat is bad, the fan isn't moving sufficient air across the cooling fins or the outside temperature isn't below the lower setting on the button thermostat. If the outside temperature is in the 60s and the fan is still running, the button thermostat is bad. On mine I had outside temps in the 50s and the fan was still running.

You can test the button thermostat by putting it and a meat thermometer in a skillet on the stove. Turn the heat on slowly and watch the temperature rise. As it rises it will reach the upper limit and you'll hear a small tic sound, about 120F. The switch has closed and the fan would be running. Turn off the heat and move the skillet to a cool burner. When the temperature reaches the lower limit, about 83, you'll hear another tic and the switch would be open. You can confirm both doing a continuity test with a multimeter.

If your fan doesn't have its wires connected to the button thermostat but goes directly to 12vdc, then this may be true but it sounds like someone at AS or the dealership is misinformed. I went though 2 of the button thermostats I purchased from Dometic before going to a commercial site and getting one that does work. (The link is on the first page of the thread.) I was on the road 3 months earlier this year and then another week in August. My button thermostat worked fine.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I know from experience, it is possible for folks at Airstream to be misinformed. However, in this instance it would be the Manager of Customer Service, the Manager of Service and his staff at the factory. The trailer had to be returned to the factory due to the number of issues that required repair so they checked this too. They pulled the fridge and tested everything, as I insisted there was no way the fan should be on at such low temps due to the thermostat. The thermostat was fine. Apparently, in some of the models, due to the changes with ducted climate control and some other design specs they can't vent the fridge through the roof anymore. As a result, heat from the fridge collects in the panel at lower temps than you would expect as the venting in the panel door is really insufficient, so in practice the fan is on all of the time which is why opening the vent panel helps. Their first recommendation even prior to my visit was to install the cut off switch for the fan as they were very familiar with the issue. Before anyone invests time and money with a thermostat, I would suggest you call Airstream directly and see if your model has this issue.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I wonder why they bother to put the thermostat on the fins if it's supposed to be on all the time. They could save $10 by just leaving it off, or maybe install a switch instead of the thermostat for the same price. My AS is older, fridge doesn't vent through the roof.

Thanks for the feedback.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I wonder why they bother to put the thermostat on the fins if it's supposed to be on all the time. They could save $10 by just leaving it off, or maybe install a switch instead of the thermostat for the same price. My AS is older, fridge doesn't vent through the roof.

Thanks for the feedback.
I do not think it is designed to be on all time. Mine turns on and off based on the temp of the fins and air in the vent chamber. The fan comes on at approx. 80-85F. When I swapped out the fan I added an on/off switch in the vent compartment.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I do not think it is designed to be on all time. Mine turns on and off based on the temp of the fins and air in the vent chamber. The fan comes on at approx. 80-85F. When I swapped out the fan I added an on/off switch in the vent compartment.
I agree, Mike, but poster Robi says, according to customer service at JC, new AS are designed to run all the time. Please read the post above mine by robi, #23.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I agree, Mike, but poster Robi says, according to customer service at JC, new AS are designed to run all the time. Please read the post above mine by robi, #23.

I read the referenced post before posting. Still do not agree with it. Second hand info.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I would suggest you actually read the post. Let me simplify it for you. The design on some new trailers does not allow for proper venting of the fridge. Heat builds up as a result even at temps in the 50s, since the temp in the panel is high it triggers the thermostat so in reality it runs all the time. I haven't been in the trailer in weather below 40 yet, so maybe it wouldn't run all the time then. As for second hand info, I like to get the most accurate info I can. I would appreciate it if you can pass along a source of info on the trailer that is more reliable than the people that make them. I didn't install the fan switch, Airstream did at no charge as it is a design issue so they had nothing to gain by providing this explanation. Keep in mind these trailers change in design yearly and vary by model as do issues that occur.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
In life it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.