Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Ready or NOT, here we GO!!!

Alright, well "Dudley" (our 31') is pretty close to being ready. House is rented (folks are moving in jan 15th... and we are planning to finish things up in Sequim, WA at my folks before taking off mid feb for Austin, TX!!! We are going down 101/1 all the way and I'd like tips from folks who have camped/boondocked/parked along the way and where the secret spots are Feel free to PM me too.

I'm not too worried about Washington, more Cali and Oregon...and we'd really like neat boondock spots if possible. Please let us know!

Thanks everyone.

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
It's hard to boondock on the 101. Having said that, the one place in Oregon I wouldn't miss is Sunset Bay State RV Park and Shore Acres Botanical Garden. The cove next to Shore Acres is the most spectacular single spot I've visited on the coast (park at Shore Acres).

Click image for larger version

Name:	coos bay.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	175287

Name:	sunset bay.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	175288

Name:	shore acres.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	175289

When you leave, head to Bandon Beach for a walk through the rocks and pinnacles.

Name:	Bandon pinnacles.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	175290

Zep
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would agree with Zep, it's hard to boondock on the route you are taking.

We spent several nights in overlooks, but then we're about half your length with your tv.

It is a spectacularly beautiful drive, though, so have a great time.

Maggie
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can boondock for one night at a time in any the rest areas in California. This includes the elephant seal overlook on 1, just north of San Simeon. The signs say "stays limited to X hrs" (can't remember how many) but the highway patrol is only looking to see if you're putting out lawn furniture and other signs of staying longer. A patrol officer told me the limited hours are to discourage camping, but it's OK to get a night's sleep.

Just make sure you look mobile.

Zep
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
There is actually a boondocking spot on the map Zeppelinium posted.
Just north of his arrows.

The Oregon state parks are awesome and a good deal for what they offer. CA state parks were not impressive and expensive. We saw all those alluring pullouts on rt 1, but never tried to stay the night. I imagine we will try next time. Rt. 1 will be pretty tight with a 31' footer. Your arms will get a workout turning that wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	af.png
Views:	138
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	175292   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAW77056.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	175293  

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you take Cal. 1 from 101 at Leggett, be prepared for a drive over 2 mountain ranges with many, many curves and switchbacks. The lumber trucks do it all the time, so you'll make it, but it is slow and tedious. It is about 25 miles from 101 to the ocean.

Cal. 1 is also curvy with switchbacks (not nearly as many as the route from Leggett), but the views are spectacular.

Just before you enter the town of Anchor Bay, there is a campground at the inside of a switchback where you can get a site really close to the beach. It will be difficult to maneuver a 31' into a space unless no one else is there, but the views are worth it. Water, electric, dump station which is hard to get to. Four miles down the road is Gualala. Upper Crust Pizza (on left toward end of town) has excellent pizza. Best supermarket there is on the right—Surf Supermarket. Prices are high, but that's not unusual along the coast. Just past the town is a Sonoma County park with a campground—haven't stopped there, but it looked pretty good. I don't think it has hookups.

Bandon is a nice town with a harbor you can walk around, or drive along south of town. We stayed at a campground (Bandon By the Sea) a couple of miles south of town which was adequate. It is not by the sea.

The Port of Newport RV park is a municipal or county park with hookups and a good view of a cool bridge across the harbor. It is a little tricky finding it—near the aquarium and a brewery. The turn off is on the south side of the bridge with exit on the right if you're going south.

Lincoln City has a Pendleton store that carries very discounted products. It is in a mall with RV parking in the back.

You'll have to Google some of these places and check the maps to make sure you can find them.

We turned inland near Bodega Bay and took Cal. 12 across the Napa Valley to get to central Cal. Cal. 1 south of Olema (nice campground there on west side of highway near the entrance to Pt. Reyes National Seashore). You can camp right on the San Andreas Fault. But south of there the road gets even curvier and more challenging. It ends a few miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. We drove north on that section several years ago and it was "interesting".

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
.......the highway patrol is only looking to see if you're putting out lawn furniture and other signs of staying longer. A patrol officer told me the limited hours are to discourage camping, but it's OK to get a night's sleep.

Just make sure you look mobile.

Zep
The best way to boondock in many areas. .

If you look like you are setting up to stay awhile, that's what can cause problems.

Maggie
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Thank you all for the great posts! If and when more pop to mind please post away!

https://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote