Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
san antonio , Texas
Questions about civilized Boondocking

I may have overlooked any forum posts about these questions so if I am being repetitive I apologize.

First after returning from boondocking are there or where do you go to empty your tanks?

Also, what about glamping roadside rest stops, truck stops or dare I say the fabulous Wal Mart parking lot. I only ask because some people say its not the destination its the path to get there but, there are some that the destination is the objective before there two weeks are gone by wondering to the destination and not have enough time to enjoy the destination.

Any way after all that the real question is, is there a list of areas where you can pull off to grab a few zzzs before going on.

Thanks

Tom D
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
There are several options for both sleeping and also dumping tanks. Some Camping Worlds provide dumping as do other facilities. I do not know where there is a list but you can stay on government land and on the road, at some Flying Js with RV parking. What you do not want to do is assume that parking is ok at rest stops.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Most flying j's, loves have dumps. I stayed at Cracker Barrel overnight a couple weeks ago.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The Allstays AP shows dump stations as well as public and private campgrounds ranging from free (or nearly free) public facilities to ultra glitzy "resorts". Also Wal-Marts, Cracker Barrels and such.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Suggest you use a bit of caution in stopping for an overnight in a rest stop. Some are safe....others ....not so much. My inner barometer, with any place , including some rv parks....if it doesn't "feel right"... I keep moving on till I find a better spot. I was pleased to find Texas had some very nice and safe rest stops....survelance cameras, on site workers, very clean and safe. Other places....I pulled in and right back out. Also, the same with Walmarts, etc.....some are in questionable areas...others feel safer....you need to be vigilant and choose wisely.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have an entire sub-forum here entitled "Boondocking", where you may find a lot of information that will help you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/

Maggie
Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
wherever you go...use common sense and intuition, like Nikko...the Pomeranian mix...advises you above. But I never had any trouble or felt unsafe in interstate rest areas. on the other hand, if I pull in and see no one else, I pull back out again. But I've never been hassled by either DOT staff or highway patrols. Re dumping tanks, many of the small towns out here in the west (including my Hailey) have public dump stations. When in need...I'd just ask. Enjoy. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Where to empty tanks.

http://www.sanidumps.com/find.php

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
The Allstays AP shows dump stations as well as public and private campgrounds ranging from free (or nearly free) public facilities to ultra glitzy "resorts". Also Wal-Marts, Cracker Barrels and such.
AllStay is a good app for finding things along the way or around you for most useful RV related items.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Suggest you use a bit of caution in stopping for an overnight in a rest stop. Some are safe....others ....not so much. My inner barometer, with any place , including some rv parks....if it doesn't "feel right"... I keep moving on till I find a better spot. I was pleased to find Texas had some very nice and safe rest stops....survelance cameras, on site workers, very clean and safe. Other places....I pulled in and right back out. Also, the same with Walmarts, etc.....some are in questionable areas...others feel safer....you need to be vigilant and choose wisely.
I carry a "protection" where ever I go. At least in California, RV/Trailers are considered homes. I would check local state laws. It is one of those things you hope you never have to use, but will be glad if you have it. But the best advise is always avoid it if all possible. Like the man (or woman) said, if it doesn't feel right keep moving.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We have an entire sub-forum here entitled "Boondocking", where you may find a lot of information that will help you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382/

Maggie

Aren't we there here already?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummm...I guess we are.

Scanning the initial post, I thought he hadn't found that subforum.

Maggie
Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Where and how long you stop is usually a function of what your trip is all about...if you need to be at point A by a given time and you are mostly interested in getting there as quickly as possible you may just want to get a quick nap and get back on the road...if you want to meander, then you can be more leisurely. There are solutions for all kinds of travel. We have overnighted in commercial parks, state parks, county parks, national parks, rest stops and even the proverbial Walmart (which saved out bacon once, and was actually too bad). Dump stations and fresh water are readily available... some places are free but it's also possible to dump and/or get fresh water by paying a few bucks at an RV park... It all depends on what you need.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
West Virginia Interstate rest areas and welcome centers have dump stations. Nice touch and for a long time I assumed it was that way everywhere but not so. Rest areas and state parks are nice too and Tamarack is extra special.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
Check out escapees Days End for lots of dump and boo docking sites.
Claudiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi OP from San Antonio! Houston poster here! Welcome to Air Forums!

Add this resource to your list: TxDOT safety rest areas (link to map - note the number of newly-renovated locations). Some of them are staffed 24 hours a day, which makes them relatively safe. No dump options that I know of, but we have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.

The rule is, you can't appear to be camping - no BBQing or lawn equipment hauled out. They are simply designed for "rest". Which may extend X number of hours.

My main caveat is park well away from storm drain inlets and other physical features that could conceal rodents. No matter how well-managed the rest stop, it's where people dispose of copious quantities of trash in dumpsters, children run around and drop food on the ground, etc. Rodents might be present in abundance and might try to get into your vehicle (it did happen to us).

When I Instagrammed this shot of the Hardeman County rest area, TxDOT itself gave it a like. Hardeman is gorgeous, as rest stops go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hardeman.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	264932  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
If you are looking for places along the highway, RV places are normally around $30. I fail to understand the logic of an expensive Airstream at a Walmart to save money. I believe the journey is equally as important as the destination. Opinion only.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For many full timers, and others who travel extensively, $30 or more every night for an RV site would be prohibitively expensive.

In order to have a journey, one must be able to journey.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
If you are looking for places along the highway, RV places are normally around $30. I fail to understand the logic of an expensive Airstream at a Walmart to save money. I believe the journey is equally as important as the destination. Opinion only.
You have the benefit of living in a state with one third of our population. In many parts of Texas, the situation is that you book 5 months in advance or you boondock. Even less-desirable areas are routinely locked out because demand far exceeds supply. Prior to installing solar which expanded our boondocking capacity, I had to cancel trips for not being able to get a single overnight in commercial RV parks that were large enough to hold hundreds of RVs, being told, "We are not even going to consider taking new reservations until two weeks from now" and things like that (and those were $50 per night sites).

Additionally, it's pretty hard to get into those roadside RV places when one only stops driving at 8 pm or later. They normally close their offices at 5, and while it's possible to reserve in advance and have them leave the paperwork at the gate, if we're driving 12 hours per day, we don't know where our terminus will be, so we don't know which RV place we'll be closest to. It depends on traffic, weather, and other factors.

If someone has unlimited time and is able to do casual travel, more detailed longer-range planning is possible, but that's not true of everyone.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If I spent 100,000 dollars for an AS, I would feel entitled to free camping, if I spent 50,000 dollars for a tv I would feel entitled to free fuel, if I travel I would expect free food, also. Yes, everything is expensive, live with it, complaining isn't going to help. People are so concerned with qc, maybe they should put more time into deciding if they can afford to use the AS. No one is entitles to AS use. Sorry
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote