Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
Check out escapees Days End for lots of dump and boo docking sites.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi OP from San Antonio! Houston poster here! Welcome to Air Forums!

Add this resource to your list: TxDOT safety rest areas (link to map - note the number of newly-renovated locations). Some of them are staffed 24 hours a day, which makes them relatively safe. No dump options that I know of, but we have been pleasantly surprised by the quality.

The rule is, you can't appear to be camping - no BBQing or lawn equipment hauled out. They are simply designed for "rest". Which may extend X number of hours.

My main caveat is park well away from storm drain inlets and other physical features that could conceal rodents. No matter how well-managed the rest stop, it's where people dispose of copious quantities of trash in dumpsters, children run around and drop food on the ground, etc. Rodents might be present in abundance and might try to get into your vehicle (it did happen to us).

When I Instagrammed this shot of the Hardeman County rest area, TxDOT itself gave it a like. Hardeman is gorgeous, as rest stops go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hardeman.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	264932  

Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
If you are looking for places along the highway, RV places are normally around $30. I fail to understand the logic of an expensive Airstream at a Walmart to save money. I believe the journey is equally as important as the destination. Opinion only.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For many full timers, and others who travel extensively, $30 or more every night for an RV site would be prohibitively expensive.

In order to have a journey, one must be able to journey.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanMan5 View Post
If you are looking for places along the highway, RV places are normally around $30. I fail to understand the logic of an expensive Airstream at a Walmart to save money. I believe the journey is equally as important as the destination. Opinion only.
You have the benefit of living in a state with one third of our population. In many parts of Texas, the situation is that you book 5 months in advance or you boondock. Even less-desirable areas are routinely locked out because demand far exceeds supply. Prior to installing solar which expanded our boondocking capacity, I had to cancel trips for not being able to get a single overnight in commercial RV parks that were large enough to hold hundreds of RVs, being told, "We are not even going to consider taking new reservations until two weeks from now" and things like that (and those were $50 per night sites).

Additionally, it's pretty hard to get into those roadside RV places when one only stops driving at 8 pm or later. They normally close their offices at 5, and while it's possible to reserve in advance and have them leave the paperwork at the gate, if we're driving 12 hours per day, we don't know where our terminus will be, so we don't know which RV place we'll be closest to. It depends on traffic, weather, and other factors.

If someone has unlimited time and is able to do casual travel, more detailed longer-range planning is possible, but that's not true of everyone.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If I spent 100,000 dollars for an AS, I would feel entitled to free camping, if I spent 50,000 dollars for a tv I would feel entitled to free fuel, if I travel I would expect free food, also. Yes, everything is expensive, live with it, complaining isn't going to help. People are so concerned with qc, maybe they should put more time into deciding if they can afford to use the AS. No one is entitles to AS use. Sorry
Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #21
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If I spent 100,000 dollars for an AS, I would feel entitled to free camping, if I spent 50,000 dollars for a tv I would feel entitled to free fuel, if I travel I would expect free food, also. Yes, everything is expensive, live with it, complaining isn't going to help. People are so concerned with qc, maybe they should put more time into deciding if they can afford to use the AS. No one is entitles to AS use. Sorry
Yeah, what you said. I didn't spend $100k but close, I didn't spend $50k but very close. So yeah, I should have something for free. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm gonna write to Trump!
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The OP specifically asked questions about boondocking. Neither the OP nor anyone else expressed any sense of entitlement. My argument was 100% about practicality - the "boondock or don't go" scenario, because reservations are not obtainable in many areas.

Sometimes I find that people, for whatever reason, simply don't believe that the "boondock or don't go" scenario actually exists. Here's a recent screengrab from the Texas Parks and Wildlife website. They take reservations almost ONE YEAR OUT because certain parks fill up about a year in advance. I have a family and work obligations. I can't book a year in advance - I have to find another way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPWD-RESERV-GRAB.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	266249  
Old 07-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Yeah, what you said. I didn't spend $100k but close, I didn't spend $50k but very close. So yeah, I should have something for free. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm gonna write to Trump!
Can't talk politics here.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:09 PM   #24
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Wasn't

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote