Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming

Anyone recommend a niche at Quartzite, January?

Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
a place to overnight

Try the above thread. It has some Quartzite info.

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Quartzite: Boom and Bust all at one place!

Have been to Quartzite twice in 20 years. Once driving through tent camping, stopped at the Flea Market, got into the gasoline line with a dozen or more RV buses and kept going to Las Vegas, Nevada.

Last year's Rock, Mineral and you name it Show... we were pulling our 25 foot International. Found an open lot between the "main drag" and the interstate. Maybe called Vince's at $7 a day. More of a bare lot with a pile of porcelain toilets, a pile of lumber from some building(s) that were demolished somewhere in the area and more like camping Off the Grid but within 5 minutes from "downtown".

We are in an Airstream luxury apartment on wheels, no worry if... the facilities at this site were minimal, but very convenient. We set the trailer up below a huge billboard about DWI's. Not much later a second Airstream showed up later that day and our neighbor started a nice campfire after sunset, using scrap lumber we gathered from the demolished shed/motel... or whatever. Only nails left in the charcoal. The 40 or so toilets added to the scenery.

We went through Quartzite AFTER the Tucson Rock and Mineral Show, so everyone was eager to get rid of what they had left for sale. I do not recall spending any money on "stuff" from outboard boat motors to 500 pound pieces of petrified wood. We liked the ice cream in the waffle cones best. Also priced right... maybe $2.50 which was more than enough ice cream.

The first view of "Quartzite" when dropping into the valley is... massive numbers of large RV's in the desert. I heard the BLM charges a fee as they are providing trash and portable potties... maybe PKI's reference has this information. The old timers said that the mineral people grouped together for wheeling and dealing, the Fossil people, Jewelry people, etc. Good luck. I have too many rocks now, but always like browsing for unusual finds being made.

I recommend stoping at Quartzite BEFORE the Tucson rock show to see the best variety and then to Tucson for the "big show". Or, for better Quartzite deals... Tucson Show to Quartzite and see who and what is left over from the brawl. The Quartzite "Show" is more civilized than our first visit. Some of the restaurants are... to be visited with caution. Several people and myself picked up some "bad" something or other. I stuck to ice cream waffle cones after that bad experience. There apparently is no town, no real rules... a real Howdy Doodie huge town for a month or so and everything breaks up and goes home.

If you have not been there... try it once. This is Deadwood 1876, South Dakota in 2016 Quartzite. RV campsites pop up as soon as a bulldozer can push a lot flat, a sign goes up and you pay in advance for time spent. The lot owner/lessor/business will come by in his ATV and ask if you paid... no receipts as I recall.

Is it an experience? You betcha. Is it for everyone? Maybe not, but you do not know unless your try it. We are going to Tucson 2016 for the Rock Show, mostly beads now a days, and might figure in Quartzite. If Vince is still open for business... we will be the 25 footer parked next to the pile of toilets under the DWI billboard.

We will be happy to meet you. We can discuss how Quartzite use to be just a spot alongside the highway. Now a temporary small town on wheels.
Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We dry amp at Quartsite Market Place located between I10 and the south frontage road (Kuehn St) at the east side of Hwy 95. No hookups or facilities. Last year it was $8 per night. Walking distance from the RV tent and Sell-a-rama. Parking in that main shopping area can be very crowded, so we prefer to camp nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
Great response, info with rarified details�� We are in a 25FB International too. Putting feelers out, have not committed to Quartsite yet.
Thanks Ray and Jim!
Evelyn & James
Evelyn Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #6

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Boondocking with jimmini

The thread below is not specifically about Quartzsite. However, jimmini spends lots of time in Quartzsite so there are numerous posts in the thread about the Quartzsite area. I think you'll find information about where to park/camp and where to find services while you're in the area.

Unless you are specifically interested in the rock/mineral show and/or the RV related show you may want to choose another time of the year to visit Quartzsite.
Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We drove through on our way to Yuma from CA and was amazed at all the RV's. BLM now has brand new pay stations and dumpsters out there. And they are collecting fee's, but I looked online and was blown away.

You can spend the whole winter in one of their Long Term Visitor Areas for under $180.

If you want to stay for a shorter time, that’s OK too. The same loosely organized BLM areas cost around $40 for two weeks.

La Posa LTVA - BLM Arizona

The area looks incredibly flat and dry. I've just never seen so many people out boondocking before. It was kind of awesome. Some spots looked more crowded than others. But there is so much space. Miles and Miles of it.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We will be heading that way in January after the holidays.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote