Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wink

Definitely, a macerator would be the ideal way to deal with hauling black water in a tote...that's the ONLY way I'd care to do it.

By the way, pumping-to-a-tank-in-the-tow-vehicle for waste water and pumping-from-a-fresh-water-tank-in-the-TV-to-the-trailer is a great set up... If anyone wants details about a very cool set up, contact "jimmini" here on the Forums...he does a lot of boon docking and has it all figured out. He can go for what seems like forever without issue.

Also friends of our use a 35gal bladder for fresh water and use a 12v pump to fill their trailer tank when they are where there is no water supply..works great. (We try to park next to them whenever possible! They share.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Grey Water Dumping

My only concern with dumping grey water on site is specific to organized campgrounds - where virtually everyone's rig would be dumping in the same general area at each campsite. Multiply that by 365 days/year times "X" number of years and you could get a fairly messy build-up of grime - not to mention attracting the little fuzzy rodents we all try so hard to keep out of our Airstreams. You can't help the normal food litter from dropped sandwich pieces, cookies, hamburgers, and the like - but most of that gets taken away by the bigger guys - i.e. crows, skunks, raccoons, etc. They aren't too interested in the leftovers from washing dirty dishes but hey, it's caviar for a mouse and, from their viewpoint, there surely must be more of same in that big silver box!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
We have a 25 gallon 4-wheel Barker that is 8 years old and still in good shape. We only use it a few times a year, but some friends used to be camper hosts for about five years at a State Park that had electric hookups only. They had an identical tank and used it at least once a week, pulling it with their tow vehicle, and it held up just fine on paved roads with the occasional speed bump.

The only other tips I can offer is that you will want to use a bungee cord to secure the tow bar to your hitch or it can pop off when you slow down. For filling, I made a special short sewer hose with a Thetford connector at one end and a Valterra connector at the other. I have towed this tank on gravel roads before, at very slow speeds, and it survived. It was expensive when I bought it, but was money well spent.

Epilogue - The work camper friends filled their water tank with about 200 feet of garden hose connected to a distant public faucet.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
NOW I thought "Well BIGGER IS BETTER" Not so. I bought our BLUE Tank direct from BARKER. They had several sizes and the biggest one is (I forget) 32 or 42 gallon. Which I opted for the biggest one. IT pulls well even on sod or gravel but it takes two people.I made up a short fill and dump hose with the proper fittings. I like it,it can also be pulled behind the tow vehicle or golf cart or pulled by hand.We have an 8ft bed on our tow vechile and I set it up on its side so it dont take up much room.We dont use it that much but we have it with us if needed.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote