Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
We have 200w panels on the roof charging 2x6v batteries and use a 180w suitcase unit if in the shade. Runs all our 12v systems - however, we are careful in usage. Have converted all lights to LED and switched parasitic appliances where possible. AND if worse comes to worse we can fire-up the 3400w Champion which runs of LP.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
KISS diy...👍

Just to maintain... Zamp 120w suitcase, 2 BB Lithium, Boodocker 60a Lithium adjustable converter and Victron monitor.🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e88.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	331441   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1dad.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	331443  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d92.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	331444   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d40.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	331445  

Attached Images

Old 01-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Charge Controller on trailer and on portable panels

Can anyone tell me what amp charge controller comes with the optional 90W solar panels that comer with Flying Cloud 23FB?

I’m thinking of purchasing the Zamp portable solar panels that connect to the Zamp port at the front of the AS to supplement the 90W panel at the top. I noticed the Zamp portable panels some with a controller of its own.

How will it work with the built-in charge controller? Do I just plug the portable panels into the Zamp port?

Thanks
jefflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ft. Myers , Florida
How do I find the wire plug that will fit in my AS solar input? I have an ECO-Worthy solar panel that doesn’t have the correct connector .
Pgb9372a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflew View Post
Can anyone tell me what amp charge controller comes with the optional 90W solar panels that comer with Flying Cloud 23FB?

I’m thinking of purchasing the Zamp portable solar panels that connect to the Zamp port at the front of the AS to supplement the 90W panel at the top. I noticed the Zamp portable panels some with a controller of its own.

How will it work with the built-in charge controller? Do I just plug the portable panels into the Zamp port?

Thanks
I don't know how the factory wires that Zamp port.
Does it go directly to the battery? Or thru the solar controller?
If it goes direct you won't have a concern.

Even if it does go thru the controller it may still work.

I now use 2 180w Zamp suitcases', each with their own controller wired together charging thru the 7pin umbilical directly to the BB's.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2bdc.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	365284   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2706.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	365288  

Old 05-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #26

2015 22' FB Sport
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Nova 100w

Hi all Canadian tire has a sale on a 550$ nova 100w portable solar panel (on for $200). We are wondering if this will work for our recently purchased Airstream 22FB sport. We are very new to this so any advice is very much appreciated!
Shorty fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty fish View Post
Hi all Canadian tire has a sale on a 550$ nova 100w portable solar panel (on for $200). We are wondering if this will work for our recently purchased Airstream 22FB sport. We are very new to this so any advice is very much appreciated!
On their website I see an 80W NOMA "solar kit" that includes a charge controller & inverter w/ the panel for $200. I didn't see a 100W one with that brand. If the one you're looking at includes a charge controller, you should be able to connect the output of the charge controller to your batteries and get some solar charging with that panel. I have a 160w "suitcase" portable system and it's helpful on sunny days when it's not so warm or still that I'm running the fans all day.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #28
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Portable Solar Panels - Zamp Obsidian 200-Watt Combo Kit

I went with the Zamp Obsidian Series 200-Watt Combo Kit (Portable) and like the size, weight, features, and quality. They should fit between my 25’ RBQ’s bed, and rear window for easy, secure Storage, and less clutter in my TV. Also considering the Point Zero Energy Titan as a portable Solar Generator that can double as a home use power outage power source, and can be carried under the bed. Unfortunately the Zamp units output is 18-23 VDC which is short of the Titan’s Solar MPPT Charge Controller’s required input voltage of 35V to 135VDC. My Sierra has 400 Watt AC Outlets for charging the Titan’s battery (albeit slowly) while traveling as well as an E-Bike battery. Dual Honda EU 2200i’s for backup.
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine-A View Post
I went with the Zamp Obsidian Series 200-Watt Combo Kit (Portable) and like the size, weight, features, and quality. They should fit between my 25’ RBQ’s bed, and rear window for easy, secure Storage, and less clutter in my TV. Also considering the Point Zero Energy Titan as a portable Solar Generator that can double as a home use power outage power source, and can be carried under the bed. Unfortunately the Zamp units output is 18-23 VDC which is short of the Titan’s Solar MPPT Charge Controller’s required input voltage of 35V to 135VDC. My Sierra has 400 Watt AC Outlets for charging the Titan’s battery (albeit slowly) while traveling as well as an E-Bike battery. Dual Honda EU 2200i’s for backup.
If the Zamp kit you mentioned consists of 2 panels, could you not connect them in series to the Titan charge controller? That would get you a nominal 40v...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #30
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Zamp Customer Support did not mention that as an option. Thank You, J
Old 05-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflew View Post

Thanks
I just came across this old thread and saw this post. This is a question I'd like an answer to if anyone knows. Only difference with me is, we have, I believe 180w panels. Our system is the one Airstream offers as an option.

Thanks
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:41 PM   #32

2015 22' FB Sport
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
On their website I see an 80W NOMA "solar kit" that includes a charge controller & inverter w/ the panel for $200. I didn't see a 100W one with that brand. If the one you're looking at includes a charge controller, you should be able to connect the output of the charge controller to your batteries and get some solar charging with that panel. I have a 160w "suitcase" portable system and it's helpful on sunny days when it's not so warm or still that I'm running the fans all day.
I don’t think we won’t use fans much I am just looking to charge the batteries for the evenings use if we are out surfing all day. Maybe run lights only? Keep fridge on propane? Do you think the 100w would do that. So excited to get out there but a little overwhelmed
Shorty fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzo View Post
I just came across this old thread and saw this post. This is a question I'd like an answer to if anyone knows. Only difference with me is, we have, I believe 180w panels. Our system is the one Airstream offers as an option.

Thanks
I am also interested in a response to this as well. Will have 180W Factory Solar, and interested in supplementing with a portable panel. Has anyone out there done this?

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #34
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
Zamp Obsidian Series 200W Portable - Compatibility with Titan Solar Generator

Just ordered the connector from Zamp to connect my panels in Series to increase the Voltage, and bypass their controller, enabling connection to a Titan Solar Generator or for other requirements in the future. The recent heat wave and associated electrical black outs have made my interest in acquiring a Titan more acute, providing an alternate source of power for my Refrigerator. Thank you DKB_SATX for your input prompting a follow up call to Zamp for clarification. The Forums rule again!!

Best to all,

J
Old 06-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
Brad,

The Zamp connector is wired backwards from a normal SAE connector. What I did is simply swap the connection wires to the Zamp connector on the battery terminals so the one that is on positive goes to the negative and the one on the negative goes to the positive. That gets the input SAE connector compatible with Renogy.

It's what I did for mine and worked fine. Just have to remember to put 'em back once you are done with Renogy so they have proper polarity if someone plugs in a Zamp.

Or you can make yourself a cable that reverses the polarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
can someone tell a newbie how to connect a renogy portable suitcase to the Camp plug on my FC 19'. I understand that the renogy is wired different. I was thinking about a 120 watt suitcase for the AS but don't want to fry the system by doing it wrong. I have a 80 Amp on the roof and want too add 120 to 160 more via portable.

thanks

Brad

ps if you suggest a product i.e. a wire adaptor can you link to it please
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Zamp 160 watt portable paralleled with a 100W Renogy on the roof. Works well for us.
I added another 100Watt Renogy on the roof, so 360W total. Recently stayed 4 days at Road America and never fired up the generator.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHTP View Post
Brad,

The Zamp connector is wired backwards from a normal SAE connector. What I did is simply swap the connection wires to the Zamp connector on the battery terminals so the one that is on positive goes to the negative and the one on the negative goes to the positive. That gets the input SAE connector compatible with Renogy.

It's what I did for mine and worked fine. Just have to remember to put 'em back once you are done with Renogy so they have proper polarity if someone plugs in a Zamp.

Or you can make yourself a cable that reverses the polarity.
In addition to the Zamp (SAE) being wired differently than the Renogy, when mixing panels, even from the same manufacturer, you can run into differences in voltage and/or current generated that can reduce the overall efficiency of your solar infrastructure. For instance, Zamp obsidian panels are a different voltage than the Legacy series panels (when comparing same wattage panels against each other), and I think mixing them in parallel can cause some grief. I think the most reliable and simple approach is when the portable panels come with their own integrated charge controller (mine does) and you just connect the portable panels directly to the batteries (either via jumper clamps, or a wired SAE port or Renogy style port), and not connect them to the existing charge controller that came with your trailer. This way both the permanent rooftop panels and the portable panels can operate in parallel with each other, and you get maximum energy returned into the batteries. If you choose to have all the panels, including the portable panels, managed by the charge controller in the trailer, you need to be sure you dig into the details like current generated per panel, voltage per panel, which panels are in series, which are in parallel .... and then get it all wired in the optimal way. Final comment is I am an amateur at this, growing my own solar/boondocking subsystem gradually over time, and I'm most certainly not an expert, so take that into account in digesting my thoughts here.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't know how the factory wires that Zamp port.

Does it go directly to the battery? Or thru the solar controller?

If it goes direct you won't have a concern.

Even if it does go thru the controller it may still work.

I now use 2 180w Zamp suitcases', each with their own controller wired together charging thru the 7pin umbilical directly to the BB's.

Bob

[emoji631]
Colonial Airstream wired my 25FB roof with 320 watts Zamp solar, and I supplement it with additional 160W Zamp Portable, that plugs directly into the front Zamp port feeding the battery. The Zamp Portable units all come with their own controllers and bypass the controller used for the roof solar system.

I mainly use the Zamp Portable when at home when the Airstream is parked in its RV port, which makes the roof solar system inactive. Thank God for the Zamp portable units, they keep my batteries fully topped off, depending on the weather. Dometic just bought out Zamp Solar, so it remains to be seen what changes if any we see from the Dometic management.

As Bob said, you can also wire your zamp portable to a 7-pin adapter, which feeds directly to the batteries.

https://store.airstreamlife.com/prod...-7-way-adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNMPZZG...3MC4S3SKPXE1EC
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 11:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
We have 400 watts of rooftop Zamp panels and a 180 watt Zamp portable which affords flexibility for the times when the trailer is parked in shady areas. The portable panel plugs into the Zamp port and works through the trailer's Victron controller so has no controller of it's own. The 580W of solar keeps our 400Ah of Battle Born lithium batteries topped up very nicely; I rarely bother taking along a backup generator any longer.

Before the rooftop solar was installed I had a 200W Zamp panel with integrated controller, which I sold. The 180W portable we have now is about 15 pounds lighter than the old 200W unit so it's a little easier to handle.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Maximizing Portable Solar Panel Output

Portable solar panels are a great way to supplement roof top generation, because they can be positioned to maximize energy collection. Often however the best place for capturing te suns energy is a ways away from your trailer which requires a long battery connection cord. As the following video points out there is a solution:

Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote