Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Poisonous Snake Encounters AND Avoidance

When "outdoors" we all can encounter snakes. This could be your yard, garage or in the woods. Although most snakes are harmless and GOOD, people figure a good snake is a dead snake. There are even legless lizards that appear to be a snake...

I have had many occasions in the MidWest and the Western USA to come across venomous snakes. It might work out to 1 in twenty encounters IS actually a snake to avoid, and when in doubt, just avoid all of them. The snakes that I actually "fear" the most are the Copperheads found in Missouri and surrounding states. The hair stands up on my neck when I encounter a Copperhead... They do not rattle a warning nor hiss, but begin to recoil into a smaller area, yet still blend into the leaf litter on the ground. Bull & Gopher snakes that resemble a poisonous snake, hiss loudly and recoil, will get your attention right away and are "good" snakes.

Rattle snakes I have the most experience in my travels. In Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming if I encounter a snake, it is probably a rattle snake. They do give fair warning and when you hear that "rattle", you will not forget to stop and look around. Stepping on a rattle snake is probably the biggest threat to the snake and yourself. Tall grass and clumps of brush are great snake areas to travel through. I have found rattle snakes a foot long on the dirt road on the North Grand Canyon and one nearly five foot rattle snake, sunning itself in a sandy open spot, near the ghost town of Hamilton, Nevada. The one in Nevada looked like a straight tree branch with a green tint, freshly broken off a tree. But through all of these encounters, I have never been bitten or had a close encounter to risk being bitten. Why... because I have a... great respect... to avoid a snake encounter. Walking in "snake country" should tune in your senses while hiking, or even stepping out of your AS. I wear a wide brim "cowboy" hat which is like a satellite dish collecting the slightest rattling in the scrub. I carry a four foot long walking stick, as I probe through thick grassy, suspect areas. I do not reach up to a ledge while ascending a "sunny" rock exposure without giving it a preliminary look around. So, there are precautions you can take in the event you might encounter... something. You see horny toads and lizards scurrying about... think snake country.

I am by no estimate of the imagination a snake expert, enthusiast nor fan of snakes. They want to avoid me, while I avoid them when I see them. I have jumped into a creek while fly fishing in Wyoming after hearing the rattling in the tall grass! While walking the asphalt path near Guernsey, Wyoming at the Oregon Trail Ruts, I was startled to encounter a bull/gopher snake about 3 and a half feet long hissing and acting like a rattle snake in a bush, making me jump back several feet without giving it a thought. Our two Blue Heelers gave it plenty of room, while it retreated into the dense scrub along the path. I have taken my walking stick and gently "flipped" smaller rattle snakes away from our tent site in the National Grasslands near the area I recommended to camp your AS on this forum... over the edge of the Badlands to go on their way.

The experts will tell you that if you encounter a rattlesnake, stop and survey the area to avoid threatening the snake. Then back away slowly. If you have the misfortune to actually step on a rattlesnake the "bite" could be a dry bite or wet bite. One discharges the snake's precious venom and the other is just to scare the jeepers out of the larger animal, be it a cow, deer, elk or human. The snake does not attack a human, unless you are agitating it... or foolish enough to try to shoot it. Poisonous snakes are hunting for something small enough to be swallowed after striking their victim. A larger mammal is not on their targeted game, meaning you. After a number of encounters with snakes, you will become less fearful of them and can avoid a conflict of interest. Their wanting to get away from you, and your wanting to put distance from them will be shared. Your fear will eventually become a routine awareness that snakes can be concentrated in some areas, and in others non existent.

In my lifetime wandering the deserts, prairies and forests my encounters with poisonous snakes has been so minimal, I can count them on my ten, maybe eleven fingers. I encountered MORE copperheads in my yard in Missouri in eight years than ALL the others in the entire WORLD. I have found the National Forest Service have free handouts concerning snake identification, like you really WANT to get that close, so you are aware of what is to be found in an area. I recall my encounters, and I say encounters as I physically saw the snake, as it does make an immediate impression on your memory. The majority the snakes and I did not even know we were near one another and that was fine with me.

I know this is another one of those "wordy" essays, but I am sure there are some of you who would be so gracious to share your encounters with a snake. I would prefer an encounter with a poisonous snake than a porcupine, any day. The amazing story I can relate to you is the natural ability of a dog to detect a snake and their natural avoidance. Children must be taught not to fear snakes, but give them plenty of respect. We can talk about footwear, clothing and avoidance methods, but being aware of entering snake country in sandals and short pants puts you in no more risk than over dressing for hand to hand combat in 100 degree weather with unnecessary protections.

When I can find the photograph of the Nevada five footer, I will enter it later... you will be impressed!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Interesting read, thank-you.

I am scared of all snakes (although I am getting better). There are no poisonous snakes in my immediate area; there are rattlers in the semi-arrid part of B.C. though.

I had a friend in N. Carolina who was always getting nailed by Copperheads in his barn. His snake stories would always send chills up my back. He also had King snakes (non-venomous). One King snake became his "guard snake." It would patrol his backyard - keep the Copperheads away. He was rather fond of that snake.

Australia has lots of creepy-crawlies just waiting to kill you. I never encountered any while visiting. I'll never forget a video of a brown snake (one of their deadliest) chasing a kid. They can move very FAST.

I wonder if any Airstreamers have found a snake in their trailer? Is there any way one can get in? Oh lawrdy.....this is one question I really did not want to ask!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Terrain of Previous Encounters

My wife told me that when we returned with the camera, our five foot rattler had departed... which did not ease our expectations as to where did it go. This is the area in the first photograph. Hamilton, Nevada

The Nebraska badlands sport much leaner, smaller snakes. You have the grassy mesas with Badland gullies below. Seeing a rattler over 24 inches and the diameter of a half dollar is rare... from my encounters.

The Oregon Trail Ruts are the third example of terrain, where the gopher snake was lingering along the asphalt walkway.

This season I will try to have my camera ready when a rattlesnake is encountered. They are not photo shy at all...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0909.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	148450   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	148451  

Name:	DSCN0219.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	148452  
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Rattle snakes here in the Rocky mountain NW often frequent rock piles where thay can easily den up. It is not uncommon to see them out in the sun to warm up and certainly not uncommon to come upon them and NOT have them rattle a warning! Beware of the small "button" rattlers as they pack more bang for the buck.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
I like mounting biking and hiking. But things like snakes, bears and now mountain lions add to the excitment while recreating out west.

We refrained from mt biking in grizzly areas and hiked mostly during our extended western tour. But it does contribute to elevated focus to our surroundings

Badlands
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Badlands 004.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	148794   Click image for larger version

Name:	001 - Copy (4).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	148795  

wbcci #3363
VAC - Region 1 vintage Club rep
New England unit
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Snails, Nails & Puppy Dog Tails

When I was young I was quite interested in reptiles of all sorts. I eventually graduated with a Bachelors degree in Education with a major in Biology. My oldest son (now 26) acquired my interest in reptiles from the get-to and currently keeps (in my home as he is just finishing college) a 9’ Red Tailed Boa, 3’ Ball Python, 4’+ Corn Snake, 3’+ Desert King Snake, 4’+ Trans Pecos Rat Snake, 2.5’ Colorado Side Winder (rattle snake), 2’+ Rock Rattle Snake ………. I think those are the current ones that reside in my home.

In the past my son has caught and kept a 5’+ Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake, 3’+ Western Diamond Back Rattle Snake, a number of Copper Heads (one female gave LIVE birth to 6 babies a week after capture), a Water Moccasin and a number of others over the years.

The poisonous snakes were NEVER handled. They were captured using a “snake hook” and bagged or put in some secure container, then transferred to an aquarium set up as a “Shift Cage”, which is an aquarium that has a removable partition and two lids. This allows one half of the cage to be accessed while the snake is partitioned off in the other half.

Of all the poisonous snakes the most aggressive ones are the Western Diamond Backs. If not too cold they will warn by rattling and do not hesitate to make a HOT strike every time. The one my son kept for a couple of years would strike the aquarium glass leaving plenty of straw colored venom running down the glass. When warm, that snake sensed when we entered the room and “cocked it's trigger”.

If one just wants to see snakes, and happens to be in Western Texas, drive the country roads between dusk and mid-night. They come out onto the roads as the night temperatures cool to heat their bodies on the still warm roads so that they can more efficiently “go bout their rat killin”. On one night my son and I removed 5 Western Diamond Back rattle snakes and one Black Tailed Rattle Snake from “Ranch Road 2400” so that they would not be run over as most people don’t understand the good they do.

The OP imparted very good information and said that rattle snakes do not always warn before striking. This is especially true on a cool morning when the snakes come out to warm their bodies. Just outside of Sanderson, Texas, one morning while hunting with my son I came upon a Western Diamond Back coiled up on a very low rock ledge, which if I hadn’t been observant might have used as a step while climbing the slope. This snake never gave any warning as my son and I observed it, and we gave it plenty of reason to warn us, but it was only about 65 degrees out. We left it where it was as we had already captured a Western Diamond Back.

All snakes are GOOD, and you enter their environment on THEIR TERMS!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I have twice been hiking in NM with a group to have several people walk right over rattlesnakes sunning in the path only to have a someone further back notice the snakes. They do not always warn, but they do not always strike. I am sure you pass many more and never know than you you actually see.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Before we moved to Florida, we were warned about the snakes, expected to find them whenever we went hiking, however it took years before spotting a rattlesnake near the trails we hiked. It was in an expected place, along side of a fallen tree, it didn't make any noise and was still there after we passed. In the 40 years here we have seen a number of snakes but non poisonous out number the poisonous by 10 to one. Love to see the black snake around our yard knowing that it is doing ok.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Here's a copperhead we had right in the middle of our campsite last Halloween at Washington State Park just south of St. Louis. The blacktop in the top of the picture is the campsite pad and the snake is right at the border between the blacktop and the gravel pad for the picnic table and fire ring.

It was about the size of a pencil and sluggish from the cold so we used a stick to guide it into the lid of the electric skillet and released it out in the woods. They just disappear into the leaves.

It was actually kind of neat to see. That was the first poisonous snake I've ever come across and it was in a place I was least likely to be looking. Later I kind of got the heebee jeebees thinking about it being right there with the dog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	148806  
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Here's my tip for avoiding unfortunate snake encounters:

Turn on the light and look before you .... !

Personal experience, lesson learned, scar on backside to remind me if I ever forget again.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
I have twice been hiking in NM with a group to have several people walk right over rattlesnakes sunning in the path only to have a someone further back notice the snakes. They do not always warn, but they do not always strike. I am sure you pass many more and never know than you you actually see.
This is very true. Having about 40 years of trail experience in Az., NM, and Co. I can testify I've seen more rattler's not rattle than rattle. I encourage trail walkers and bushwackers to carry a stout walking stick. The snakes are very sensitive to vibrations and will generally move off the trail. If not, they will move if gently prodded. I do not kill them as they keep the disease carrying vermin population down.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ler-77664.html

My posting #5. I also have a problem with Copperheads that fall from the walls and ceilings...I guess from trying to get into bird nests.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
While camping in upstate NY at a state park in the Fingerlakes region I almost stepped on a cooperhead while trying to get close to a water station to get a bucket of water.
It saw me first and took off, but the encounter was a close one, within inches. If it hadn't moved, I would have stepped on it for sure.
I just never gave it a thought that I would encounter a dangerous snake in that area of the country. Of course in TX and the western states I expect to see rattlers so I'm alert when at a campground or when hiking.
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember that the only state that has no native poisonous snakes is Maine. Is that correct?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

Rattle snakes I have the most experience in my travels. In Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming if I encounter a snake, it is probably a rattle snake.
In New Mexico I see far more bull snakes than rattlers. For whatever reason I have seen more rattlesnakes in the past 2 years, but still a lot less than bull snakes.

I like to let my dogs run, so they have been vaccinated against rattlesnake bite. Won't keep em from getting sick but may keep them alive. Dogs and horses usually survive snakebite.

Beware the deadly hoop snake that grabs it's tail in it's mouth and will roll after you. They prefer to nest in outhouses.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
In my explorations I have run across a fair number of rattlers. I consider them to be "polite" snakes because they, if not too cold, will let you know that they are getting annoyed with your presence and are asking nicely for you to leave. Which I do.

I have a hard time following the "experts' " advice as quoted from above.

"The experts will tell you that if you encounter a rattlesnake, stop and survey the area to avoid threatening the snake. Then back away slowly."

When I accidentally encounter a snake up close I generally go vertical a couple of feet and at the same time 15 or so feet horizontally in one rapid motion. Then I look closer to see what kind of snake it is. I am not afraid of snakes, but the wrong kind of bite could just ruin a good trip.

I discovered some good fun while hiking in the mountains west of Tucson. I ran into a group of people from Minnesota and I mentioned that they should be aware of rattle snakes in the area. They had been walking single file on a narrow trail so I told them that the first person in line would wake the snake up, the second one would make the snake mad, and the third in line would be the one to get bit. Have you ever seen 5 people try to hike a narrow trail, dodge cactus, and play musical chairs at the same time? No one wanted to be that unlucky third person.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Out east there is a clever pudgy serpant called a Hognose. It looks very much like a rattlesnake but shorter and fatter. It has 2 defenses. First it will coil and threaten like a rattlesnake and if that doesn't work rolls over belly up and plays dead.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
NOT a fan of snakes...any snakes... this is a good item to have around...

The Judge Rules: Taurus Judge Review
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have never seen a rattler despite years of living in the west and hiking and backpacking. Less than a dozen people per year are killed by their bite in the US though many more are bitten. It sounds like the venom is not all that potent, therefore. I have seen a few bull snakes in Colorado's San Luis Valley—they look a bit like rattlers.

I posted some time ago I had never seen a black widow spider and then there was one on my propane tanks last fall in Idaho. I, therefore, expect to see a rattler soon.

I have read that: Sucking on the wound apparently does no good. If bitten the best thing to do is stay calm (just like you do when the dentist says "relax") and don't move around much to keep the venom from traveling too far. I don't know if this is true and if I see a rattler I expect to jump 10 feet in the air where the snake can't reach me. Staying up there will be a challenge.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
The University of Michigan's Radrick Farms and it's Botannical Garden are home to a small population of Mississauga (? sp) rattlers. I recently heard the Garden's director speak, and he quoted data that more than half of the people who were bitten in the past few years were struck while trying to photograph the snake with their cell phone cameras.

Seems to me that this is just evolution in action ... except that none of these nitwits died.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember that the only state that has no native poisonous snakes is Maine. Is that correct?
Although not one of the contiguous states, Hawaii has only one snake, the Blind Snake, which is a burrowing snake, which is very small and could be mistaken for a worm. I've run across a couple of them when I've been over there.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote