Old 03-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #43
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread: Snake chaps.

I'm not fond of tall boots, so snake chaps protect your lower legs giving more flexibility in foot and legwear. I got some slightly used ones cheaply online.

I realize, while hiking in the southern California mountains and deserts, I pay nowhere near enough attention to whether there's snakes in my path. I've seen a few rattlers over the years; some warned some didn't, mostly on "warm" afternoons.

While inspecting my friend's uncle's newly purchased chaparral acreage once, we stumbled upon about a 6' rattler; gave him a wide berth and found he'd moved hours later, surprise again! The uncle built a house on the property, and he co-existed with that snake for a few years before moving out of state.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
We were set to go to Joshua Tree for a camping trip in January, and I was reading up on snakes. I've encountered rattlers twice on trails, and they were quick to skitter off, and I'm generally not bothered by the thought of snakes, until I read about the Mojave Rattlesnake. I wondered if they ever get up inside the belly pan of Airstream

Old 03-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I mountain bike in the coastal foothills of Southern California. I'm definitely not fond of rattle snakes but have steadily become very desensitized to them. I probably come across 30-40 per year as I ride in late afternoon five to six days a week. Heading out on a ride, you can sense when you will come across snakes. Not too hot and not too cold, mid to high seventies are perfect for them. I think the rule of thumb is that they can strike half of their length. Usually they are pretty lethargic and just soaking up the sun. I give them a wide berth and they don't seem to notice.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1974 Argosy 26
Youngsville , North Carolina
Last year here in Raleigh, NC there was a news report about a recent transplant from up north. Locally here there has been a lot of new construction of Apts. This individual saw a small snake on the side walk on his way to his car. Being an enviormentalist, he attempted to pick up snake to move it out of the way for its (the snakes) own safety. Yep, thats right he was bitten by a young copperhead. Went to hospital, lost use of hand, but lived. It cost $20,000 for the anti-venom treatment. Rumor has it that insurance did not cover treatment.

Moral of the story don't handle what you don't understand.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #47
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
This is from a (jaded) emergency room doctor forum.

How about the 6T risk factors for snakebites...

Toothless, Testosterone, Tank Top, pickup Truck, Tatooed, inToxicated

if you can't remember all of that, a low tooth to tatoo ratio is a pretty good predictor too....

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
My Phobia or Fear---Caterpillars

The only critter that I am afraid of are tent caterpillars. Snakes, lizards and other critters don't bother me...but this harmless insect sends chills down my spine. I don't camp in no one woods in the late March to late April. Call me a chicken. I would rather encounter a 400 pound bear than a near weightless caterpillar.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
I dont want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #49
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
You can find good in everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
The only critter that I am afraid of are tent caterpillars. Snakes, lizards and other critters don't bother me...but this harmless insect sends chills down my spine. I don't camp in no one woods in the late March to late April. Call me a chicken. I would rather encounter a 400 pound bear than a near weightless caterpillar.
Fry a few dozen in olive oil and garlic. Then serve over wild rice with chopped onions.
You will thereby develop a fondness for them.

Bon Appetit

Ken

P.S. Make sure to only use females, the males taste awful.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #50
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Zion NP 4/2011
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9908.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	153779  

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

P.S. Make sure to only use females, the males taste awful.
I've found that to be a good rule to follow in many species.

Gene
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Hamilton Ghost Town, Nevada 5 foot Rattler

I found two photographs of the five foot rattle snake found in the terrain the third photograph shows. This area is at the "pass" to the north of the mining ghost town of Hamilton.

Please excuse the distance from this "specimen". I wanted to get all of it in one photograph, and these were the best options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2282.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	156326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2294.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	156327  

Name:	DSCN2295.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	156328  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
New Mexico- Gila National Forest rattler

After hiking ten weeks or more in the Gila National Forest, lately north of the Reserve, New Mexico area of the Apache and Gila National Forests our FIRST 3 1/2 to 4 foot rattlesnake "discovery".

The mid section was smaller than a tennis ball and its head was large and displayed the viper shape from a distance and much more impressive when we walked towards it, just below some basalt rubble it was moving into.

What brought the rattler to our attention, you might ask? Our two Blue Heelers saw it before we did and approached it from the "rattle end", of seven, maybe eight rattles on this one. It was in the mid 70's F and ignored the two dogs that were curious and I immediately called out NO and they backed away as if it was something not to mess with. The snake never felt in danger, never coiled, hissed or gave the dogs or us much attention. Both dogs are apprehensive around snakes, as we have them leave our local, harmless Bull Snakes alone as well.

The elevation was around 7600 to 7800 feet and the number of small lizards and horny toads in smaller numbers in the area gave us warning about "reptile activity", but we never expected a rattle snake at this elevation and area. Obviously this snake had been working over the lizard population. It was like the Nevada snake, a greenish coloring between the browner patterns.

Our reaction... since we are looking down for agates, a snake in our path is easy to spot. Even when it is not expected. It seems that dogs have a curious nature and natural fear of snakes that become aggressive in the snake's reaction to intruders. Now we are also aware that rattle snakes can be found in areas where it gets below freezing at night, warms up into the 70's during the day and at higher elevations than expected.

Sorry. No camera on hand so no photograph from a distance. This was one snake, like the larger one in Nevada, that paid no attention to our being in its path. Always something to add to our list of potential things to look out for on a back country camping trip in the mountains.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We keep kayaks in our yard, and I had taken one of our kayaks, picked it up, hoisted it over my head and carried it across the yard and loaded it up onto the roof rack on our Excursion. No problem.

After juggling the kayak a bit to get it properly situated on the roof, something fell out of the kayak onto the roof of the truck - a 1 1/2 foot long Copperhead. The snake had probably been looking down from the hull of the kayak at me and thinking what an idiot! True enough.

After realizing what had just happened, I screamed like a girl, called a neighbor (who dispatched the snake), and then calmly went into the house to change my laundry. Hero (or proud) I am not.

Lesson learned: I now carefully inspect my boats before moving.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Snake season?

Four days ago I came home to find a trophy Copperhead snake, on display in a glass jar, on my patio table. My wife had just murdered it on the door step. That's the second one in the same place this Spring.

OK....now, today. I hooked up the Cloud and took it for a trip to the local camping world. Parked, went inside, came out and did some things around the Cloud. Then got into the truck to take the rig around to the parking area. As I opened the door to the 2500 Chevy and swung into the seat.....an 18 inch Copperhead fell out of the upper door track area, onto my left shoulder/neck, then to my lap. During the next few seconds...we were all over that seat...the snake fell out onto the floor then out the door to the ground. That's where it met its end. I guess it got into the truck at my barn as I loaded up. I am now not sure if I will ever feel good in that truck or sleeping in the Cloud which was parked right next to the truck at the barn. HEEBY JEEBIES!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #56
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Four days ago I came home to find a trophy Copperhead snake, on display in a glass jar, on my patio table. My wife had just murdered it on the door step. That's the second one in the same place this Spring.

OK....now, today. I hooked up the Cloud and took it for a trip to the local camping world. Parked, went inside, came out and did some things around the Cloud. Then got into the truck to take the rig around to the parking area. As I opened the door to the 2500 Chevy and swung into the seat.....an 18 inch Copperhead fell out of the upper door track area, onto my left shoulder/neck, then to my lap. During the next few seconds...we were all over that seat...the snake fell out onto the floor then out the door to the ground. That's where it met its end. I guess it got into the truck at my barn as I loaded up. I am now not sure if I will ever feel good in that truck or sleeping in the Cloud which was parked right next to the truck at the barn. HEEBY JEEBIES!!!
I'll remember that