Old 02-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I put a big rubber snake under my engine at night and fill a paper bowl of peanut butter and place it under my neighbor's vehicle. Works every time, I have no critter problems.

Just kidding about where I place the bowl of peanut butter, I take it out away from the camping spot and the critters fight over it all night.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
The Gilbert Ray Campground where Ray recently stayed, and perhaps the idea for this thread, has a sign that says, in effect "Don't feed the Birds. Birdseed attracts mice and mice attract Pack Rats and Pack Rats attract Rattlers. So, don't feed the birds."

We've tried all the home brew remedies - moth balls, Irish Spring Soap, Dryer Sheets, you name it - and the only thing that conclusively deters Pack Rats is light. This past year while we were enjoying 3 weeks in Montana, the CFL under our Jeep burned out at home. Pack rats moved into the engine compartment and ate $1,000 worth of its wiring ...

Old 02-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #17
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Oh, jeepers, one more thing to add to my camp kit for SouthWest destinations. So, what's the best under-hood pack-rat-proof light for boondockers? Point us to a link so we can buy one.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Do we have to de-rate the 1000 lumen LED flashlight to 900 for trailer duty? Pat
Old 02-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Oh, jeepers, one more thing to add to my camp kit for SouthWest destinations. So, what's the best under-hood pack-rat-proof light for boondockers? Point us to a link so we can buy one.
Ice Man is correct. Feed a Bird and Raise a Rat as a friend.

We bought an 18 foot LED light strip at Costco. LED Rope Light... Great for Pathways, trees, kitchens, gardens, bars, holiday decor, rooflines, decks... NO mention of Pack Rats... but it works. They do not HEAT up and a bright white light.

Remember that old Xmas lights heat up and become Tanning Rooms under your hood for a Pack Rat. LED's are convenient when camped with power. I am going to try a couple of Solar Powered lights, pop my hood up after sunset and sleep well. Finding some small footprints and eaten acorns on the fuel injection plastic cover will... get your attention.

I have seen some people circle the RV Buses completely around the perimeter and vehicle. There is nothing worse than ready to depart a camp site and your vehicle will not start.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
During the Southern California wildfires several years ago, the Japanese car wiring was a favorite diet for rats, mice, etc. Cost the insurance companies (RATEPAYERS) a lot of money for new wiring harnesses as apparently the Japanese vehicles insulation is made with a vegetable based material. I guess that makes sense, they would be LEFT COAST VEGANS. AEW
Most wire insulation today is based on plastic made with soy bean based derivatives. Makes no difference what make of vehicle. Here in Oracle the rats prefer General Motors stuff. A proven deterant is to spray all your wires with tire shine.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I had a grilled cheese sandwich on my Airstream International's table with a IPA Beer from the case purchased at Costco.

I came back and noticed my brother looking under our trailer. He was really looking hard, getting on his knees several times.

I asked "what are you looking for".

He said a big rat ate my toasted cheese sandwich and knocked over my cold beer.

I said that was OK. There was a nest of cockroaches in the grilled cheese sandwich so I would not have touched it. I put them into the beer bottle and was coming back to get rid of it all.

I told him there was going to be one sick Big Rat. Before I could embellish some additional information, he went looking for that rat himself, I suppose.

(Only part of this is fiction. If I find my brother next to my pickup... I will have another story.)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
So Ray are you saying that it would behoove me to put a strobe in the engine room for the Wyoming adventure in August?
Old 02-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Gearheart... maybe just pop your hood up.

Our neighbor here in Boulder City, NV has a boat/truck side accessed patio / car port. Yesterday he made a discovery. Pickup firewall insulation on top of his engine manifold.

He parked the pickup in the garage, set a "rat trap" in the enclosed garage. The rat was still under the hood, somewhere, as the next morning the peanut butter and rat trap had... a rat. I am setting up our "rat trap" costing $1 at the $1 Store in our garage just in case.

Having some blinking LED under the hood could take care of a problem. I have not encountered any rats in Wyoming or Colorado... but a Squirrel can create enough trouble with their little cousin... chipmunks. Inexpensive insurance if needed or not.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I once rescued a car full of co-eds whose vehicle had suddenly quit on the highway. Upon close inspection I found that the wire from the coil to the distributor had been chewed on down to the conductor. A critter had found a nice warm spot to spend the night and decided to leave in haste when the engine started getting hot. Never found the beastie but the damage was the evidence. i took out my pocket knife and shortened the HT lead to eliminate the faulty area. Off they went very grateful. It was a very cold day to be stranded on the road.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Rat wins this one...

We have a Rat eating some of our Yucca plantings here in Boulder City, Nevada.

Bought a Rat Trap, Watchmaster... 7 inches x 3.25" and thick maple base for $1.00 at the One Dollar Store. Plastered peanut butter onto the trip, and set it so the Rat could get to it, but our Blue Heelers could not.

Nancy scattered moth balls around the plants the Rats seem to be chewing down at the base. They were working on a Texas Sage a couple days ago.

This morning. No peanut butter. No Rat. Strike ONE.

Tonight... Strike #2 will be set. This is either one smart RAT, or a smaller version and will set #1... the Mouse Trap set that we carry in our trailer. If this keeps on, our garden will be hauled off while we sleep.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Don't know if the Watchmaster is a snap trap like a Victor, but if the trap is sprung and the peanut butter is missing, it may be that the trap was sprung by something smaller that the bail missed -- like a kangaroo rat (https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz...heets/krat.php) and then the peanut butter taken in safety. Kangaroo rats have reflexes that can easily out-speed a snap type trap. Look for small holes in the ground an inch to inch-and-a-half in diameter. Kangaroo rats generally don't eat your plants, but pack rats do.

If you drive up to your new place at night and see little things jumping in your headlights like toads on steroids, you have kangaroo rats or their close Nevada kin.

Welcome to the Desert Southwest .... I'll take them over skeeters, gnats, no-see-ems and chiggers any time.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Ice Man #3... the Tucson Pack Rats are "faster" than those we find in Boulder City. While towing the Airstream... I was looking far ahead for a Pack Rat Speed Trap for those heading north to Las Vegas. Little do they know, once your cross the Colorado River... you gain an hour and still early enough for the lunch buffet. All with Arizona plates... Just keep out of Nancy's garden.

See you in Quemado. Leave your pack rats at home.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
One Pack Rat down on the Two Count.