Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Outer Banks

Can anyone recommend a good oceanfront campground on the Outer Banks and is there any campgrounds at all in the Corrolla area...I cant find any in the northern area of the Outer Banks

HeadnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia

I've never seen any campgrounds up north of Duck. Nothing in Corolla (or north of there, either) at all.

Oregon Inlet would be your best chance for "oceanfront" but the ocean is a pretty good hike.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Further south there's Ocracoke Island

I'd love to hear about other oceanfront places on the Outer Banks. I hope this helps...We stayed at Ocracoke Island, at the National Park campground it is boondocking, and just over the dunes is the ocean. It is lovely!! No view of the ocean from the campsite, but you can back up to the dunes, then hike over them. Its actually better as its so windy the dunes give you some protection from the wind...bring your kite!!
The ferry to and from Hatteras to the Island is free, and they load your trailer nicely. The village is nice and quaint. Be sure to get all your supplies at the north end though or off the Outer Banks, prices go sky high the minute you get onto the OBX and higher on the Island

PS no laundromats on Ocracoke so make sure your laundry is done before you go...
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master
We have stayed at Camp Hatteras many times in Rodanthe, NC. The WDCU holds a rally there every-other year. It's nice and clean has both ocean-front and inlet side camping.

Camp Hatteras Resort & RV Park - The World Class RV Resort on the OBX
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
. , .
Thumbs up Obx

Originally Posted by tin sista View Post
The village is nice and quaint.
The lighthouse on Ocracoke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6326.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	75713  
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Ruther Glen , Virginia
Thanks for the suggestions. We have considered the Cape Hatteras Resort and RV Park. We used to stay up north in the Corrolla area and drive the beach and surf fish. But that was prior to having the AirStream. Its amazing the price savings by camping vs renting a house or getting a hotel room.
Thanks Again,
HeadnOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Hi There,

Not sure about the northern part or Corolla. We have stayed at Camp Hatteras several times. They have ocean side and sound side camping. I'm sure we'll end up there a couple of times this summer.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
Beavercreek , Ohio
Second on Ocracoke National Park Campground; we were there 10 years ago. Truly awesome; drive a bit and park and you have miles of beach and dunes totally to yourself. It may not be for everybody- there are some serious mosquitos there and I am not sure if the campground has electric.
pilgrimjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina

I asked a similar question on Trip Advisor. Response was that Nat'l Seashore park sites have NO hookups but are right on the ocean (recent Airstream Life recommended Frisco as best for National Seashore). For private campgrounds with hookups, the Ocean side recommendation was Ocean Waves and recommendation on the Sound side was Frisco Woods.

Have fun. We hope to go in October.
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Airstream Life

Good story in this issue of Airstream Life regarding beachfront camping in the USA including the OBX. You might access it online or PM me for a brief outline of the storyline. Good luck.
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We enjoyed the KOA at Rondanthe. With luck, you can back in right up against the dunes. Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
We LOve the Outer Banks -- Camp Hatteras (A Coast to Coast Campground) or the kOA in Rodanthe are both right on the beach -- Just a place to park the Airstream and go to Okracoke or wherever and to see the wild horses or get great sea food in Avon and Hatteras Village from "Risky Business" or Clam Chowder in Buxton from "Island Perks" or you have to buy "Uglies" (A huge glazed donut/ Apple Fritter)in the AM at the Orange Blossom Cafe in Buxton.(get there early - they sell out fast).. Most of all -- have a great time.....
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
I have a started a family disagreement... There is some question as to whether "Island Perks" is in Buxton or Frisco... Also the chowder is "Hatteras Chowder" ( a clear broth with a bite to it , but it is great) not clam chowder.. I stand corrected and my marriage is in tact for another day maybe....
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 26
Portsmouth , Virginia
NPS campground on Ocracoke island is the BEST! Take a small generator & solar panel, Inverter for fans at night. Pick one of the sites that set your camper diagonal to the shape of the campground because the breeze always blows across the campground from one direction or the other and setting up broadside means you get maximum breeze. I have camped there at least 3 times a year for about the last 6 six years. If the wind is right you can hear the surf at night and the stars! I can't even begin to describe the stars at night. Sunsets at the Village harbor are AWESOME! Take bikes, park and ride around the village. It is so neat. Ocracoke coffee co. has great fresh pastries & smotthies (I don't do coffee) Howards pub has fressh seafood and fun fun night life on the weekends. The Flying Melon is real good for breakfast (try the crab & bacon omelette) The beaches are pristine, with 4wd you can drive on them and find a very secluded spot or just walk over the dunes at the campground. The free ferry from Hatteras is a very nice boat fride. I've kind of got it down so if you want any tips let me know. Obviously I highly reccomend it. Oh and don't forget, make reservations (U.S. National Park Service - Experience Your America) because they will sell out on the main summer holidays (, July4 & Labor day)
Good Luck! PD

PLDodd is offline   Reply With Quote