Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Oregon Boondockers Unite

Airstream enthusiasts, Oregonians, and Visitors of Oregon... I wish to begin a thread, this thread, to aid Airstreamers Airstreaming in Oregon!!

As a native Oregonian and a lover of this beautiful land I personally would like to see more of this lush state specifically via boondocking.

I think this could also serve to be an excellent place to load gps coordinates for the best Oregon boondock locations stumbled upon by Airstreamers for Airstreamers!

So far, my boondocking experience starts at the gravel road which runs alongside my parent's house but as I begin to find awesome locations, I will post my gps waypoints here!

It's possible this site may help other Airstreamers passing through Oregon who need a place to park and score some power/water/dump! If anyone is ever in the area of Philomath, Oregon look me up. Email is the best way to reach me.
BrandonJenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Will be following this thread closely! We love boondocking and have really enjoyed forest service campgrounds especially. They're usually in beautiful places and are very private. Most of them are closed for the season though so we been going to state parks recently....would love to see great places others are visiting!

I started a little blog with photos of all of the places we've camped in Oregon since we bought ours in July!

Thanks for starting the thread!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Valmog, Your photos are amazing, you must be a photographer? How do you go about finding the forest service campgrounds you stay at? What about the state park areas? Thanks for posting your experiences Airstreaming!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Is the lighthouse picture on your blog, Cape Arago?
My uncle was a lighthouse keeper there in the 1930's. My grandfather was the lighthouse keeper at Umpqua from the time my father was 7 years old until he graduated from high school.

Tugman is a very nice park. We had a family reunion there 15 or so years ago.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Forest service and BLM camp grounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJenna View Post
Valmog, Your photos are amazing, you must be a photographer? How do you go about finding the forest service campgrounds you stay at? What about the state park areas? Thanks for posting your experiences Airstreaming!
Coleman put out a book in 2000 of Forest Service, BLM & Army Corps campgrounds. UPC 076501919271
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
What about: Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov
I found this site last night after I posted my last message.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Brandon, Recreation.gov is what we've used to find forest service campgrounds. There aren't many open during the off season though. And, even state parks only have small loops available during the winter months!

Also, check out Campgrounds and Camping Reservations - ReserveAmerica Great way to reserve state parks and to see what's open in an area you're interested in.

We have camped in Central Oregon, near Sisters this fall and have loved it. They have some nice forest service campgrounds open still: Metolius River | Hoodoo The Suttle Lake area is beautiful, too!

"Bigventure" thanks for posting about the Coleman book...I am going to go check it out for myself. Would love to find other places available for winter camping!

Ken, the lighthouse in my photo was near Tugman State Park, but I don't remember the name of it. The lighthouse was closed at the time and I snapped the photo from our car since the road to it was also closed.

The Small Small Trailer
Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
This is a photo we took a couple of weeks ago at the Camp Sherman Campgrounds...open all year on a first come first serve basis...one of the only Forest Service campgrounds we've found open in the area.

Allen Springs is also open all year round...it's a GORGEOUS camping area, primitive and natural, it was full when we arrived in October, but we're going to try again later this month!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	138901933.vZYDxjkH.DSC_1467copy.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	146140   Click image for larger version

Name:	138901934.NVIgkRr6.DSC_1499copy.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	146141  

The Small Small Trailer
Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hi Everyone! I live in Eugene and just joined the Airstream Oregon Unit. It's a fun bunch! We camped out at LL Stub Stewart State Park near Lake Oswego the 12th of this Month. I'm so excited you started this thread BrandonJenna! Since Oregon has such mild winters, I was kinda hopin' to get in a couple more weekend trips before the end of the year. Maybe we can pull something together? Valmog, it's good to see you! I love your pictures and your blog! What size is your Bambi? Mine is a 16' Sport. I'm just lovin' it!!!! I tow mine with a Tahoe.

Hey before I forget, the Oregon unit is hosting a night out watching the boats lit up with Christmas lights in the Portland harbor. It's at a member's house that sits right on the water and we have front row seats!! It's on Dec 16th. It should be fun! If this interests you, you can contact Pat Buescher via email - patb@furzwo.com.
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Valmog, Thanks for the advice! We definitely enjoyed your photos on your blog and wish to visit the same places. We just need to get our AS back from the dealership so we can actually begin to use it!

Thanks for the info Carlita!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Hello, Oregonians! Good thread. Greetings from the "sunny side of the state" ; )
I second Carlita: the Oregon Unit IS a "fun bunch".
We don't boondock much in our DWR but we recently visited the BLM park near French Glen. Highly recommended. Bring your fishin' pole: frenchglen | 'STREAMING
RG Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Would sure love to spend more time at the sunnier side of our state Love your blog! Going to have to look into the the Oregon Unit, because it sure is fun meeting all these Oregon streamers online

The Small Small Trailer
Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Hello everyone! Just got my Airstream and looking to head out very soon. Boondocking is why we got and Airstream. I'll mainly be camping off the forset roads in the Cascades and Willamette Forest. I'll post my experiences as they occur and look forward to seeing yours.
AirChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Boondocking Is Why We Got an Airstream

I just picked up my Airstream and looking to head out into the Willamette Forest very soon. I will keep you posted on my experiences and look forward to reading about yours!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Portland , Oregon
Airstream Boondocking Rocks !

OR "rocks" but Soo much rain ! Man alive ! I just moved to OR in Jan and have a bad case of Cabin Fever. Everything is ready ! My first trip starts out in Astoria to drive south to Newport and then east to find boondocking near Sweet Home. Do you guys have any suggestions. I do not have a GPS for waypoints however the Benchmark map should serve me well. I do not expect to find any BDg along the coast highway and not excited about camping a "pull-off" along the 101. Anything a mile or so inland ? Perhaps State Parks will suffice along 101 this time of year. Will there be some nice camps near Sweet Home? Thank you guys for the input !
Airtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtrekker View Post
OR "rocks" but Soo much rain ! Man alive ! I just moved to OR in Jan and have a bad case of Cabin Fever. Everything is ready ! My first trip starts out in Astoria to drive south to Newport and then east to find boondocking near Sweet Home. Do you guys have any suggestions. I do not have a GPS for waypoints however the Benchmark map should serve me well. I do not expect to find any BDg along the coast highway and not excited about camping a "pull-off" along the 101. Anything a mile or so inland ? Perhaps State Parks will suffice along 101 this time of year. Will there be some nice camps near Sweet Home? Thank you guys for the input !
Hi Airtrekker! Welcome to the Airstream family! Yes, Oregon does have a lot of rain! We also have a lot of greenery and flowers so I guess it's a tradeoff! Sounds like you've got your plans mapped out already. If you have a road atlas, Oregon has a lot of state parks that are great for camping. I've been to Sweet Home for the Oregon Jamboree but I don't know of any camps around there. Do you have access to the internet? If so, you can find all of Oregon State Parks if you google it. Hopefully it'll be a lot sunnier in the weeks to follow so you can enjoy your trip and Airstream a little more. I wish you all the best!! Take care.

~Cari~
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Portland , Oregon
Yes! oregon rocks because of its rain !! What a beautiful state when the sun comes out ! The price of cabin fever is well worth the sun shines on a wooded wilderness camp ( or waking to the sound and sight of roaring surf ! I have found the state parks however my search continues for boondocking along the coast or the area traveling west from SH. I met a lady today who said there are many spots out of SH so I will check with the forest service when I get close. I do not wish to trespass or camp by mistake on private lands.
You guys are great ! Happy trails !!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Airtrekker - welcome. I am a new Oregonian. Grew up in San Antonio but lived all over the world. I have been to Newport several times and there is always open RV spaces across from the Rogue Brewery but crummy views. There are some awesome RV parks along 101 with spectacular ocean views though but can get pricey in certain seasons. There is no where for you to pull off on 101, so you will need to find a camp site. Sweet Home is right before you enter the Willamette Forest so plenty of dispersed camping available and you can camp right on the Forest Service roads. Go to the USFS Willlamette Forest website and print a road map for that area.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Airtrekker, the rain will stop soon and you will again see the sun. Do you know what sunbreaks are yet? I have two ideas. First lets include Washington in this. And secondly try to incorporate some geocacheing to mark some locations. I don't know if everybody knows about this but I think it would be an excellent way to mark locations and make comments. It's cheap, easy and will works well.
The reason I say to include WA is c'mon guys you don't want to miss out on any areas around Mt Rainier, St. Helens and Olympic. Anyway we all know WA is in most respects much nicer than Oregon. What would you rather be, a HUSKY or a duck.
Quack Quack

Dan
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky
Airtrekker, the rain will stop soon and you will again see the sun. Do you know what sunbreaks are yet? I have two ideas. First lets include Washington in this. And secondly try to incorporate some geocacheing to mark some locations. I don't know if everybody knows about this but I think it would be an excellent way to mark locations and make comments. It's cheap, easy and will works well.
The reason I say to include WA is c'mon guys you don't want to miss out on any areas around Mt Rainier, St. Helens and Olympic. Anyway we all know WA is in most respects much nicer than Oregon. What would you rather be, a HUSKY or a duck.
Quack Quack

Dan
I would never exclude Wa state in a OR post!!! We all are so fortunate to be members of a very special country !! Citizens. And the NW is absolutely unique among the states. All of us have different preferences among states however if each state has it's own personality then I seem to be most attracted to the WHOLE
Northwest ! if I were a religious kind of guy then I would say " Glor-ee Halleluja" and ask for a "Amen" however since I am more a naturalist than a church going kind of guy let me just say that the surrounding beauty in the NW makes me thankful to be living and boondocking in this wonderful country!! I am certain that each and every one of you feel the very same way!! We ALL are so very fortunate !!!

This is the first time I have sent a message from my phone so I hope that all the right satelites are in there respective alignments for this to work. Thanking u and looking forward to exploring your continued comments in person as I roll down the road to the destinations you recommend. I leave you all with Happy Trails and worn out hiking boots.... Or HT's and good ol'fashioned sun burns.... Which ever comes first!
My highest regards to both the Oregonians AND the WA's !!

(p.s.) please thank whoever turned the spiket off!
the sun is sooo beautiful!! ( harmful to stare )