Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #99
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
Ag & Au
Please read this short article about the road. Not sure if I would take the AS down this route.
#57 Grants Pass to Gold Beach Scenic Drive » 101 Things To Do Southern Oregon
It sounds like a great trip with the truck, however. The husband of one of the girls in my office is a guide on the Wild and Scenic on the Rogue and I know they use this road to get the camps set up for the boats ahead of time. I will talk to her and find out exactly how bad it is. She has traveled it numerous times.

Thanks for the link. That was enough to convince me not to tow the trailer without a prior complete trip without it. However I'm now convinced that it looks like there are some great recreation opportunities in that area. I will be saving the link so I can check out the other 100 things to do. A glance looks like a lot of them are familiar. Washington and Oregon are my favorite states for recreation opportunities. They will remain that way until the floating bridge to Hawaii is completed.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #100
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I just bought a copy of Ray's Guides: Free Camping Oregon Campgrounds
free camping oregon campgrounds camping ray's guides

Here's a representative listing (I think we're going to visit this one):

Oregon Mine Campground

From Mt Vernon, travel west on US Highway 26 for about 10 and take a left onto Forest Service Road 21, the Fields Creek Road. Follow Forest Service Road 21 to Forest Service Road 2170, take a right and continue on to the forest Camp. Oregon Mine Campground offers 5 camp sites with tables, fire rings, toilet and a buck and pole corral. A beautiful setting with big yellow pine, adjacent to a stream for fishing. Stock water is available in the adjacent Murderer's Creek. Be aware that wild horses roam in this area. 4300 foot elevation.

Ray's a nice guy. Many of his listings say that the site will accommodate a small trailer. I emailed and asked if thought a 25 footer would fit in most of them and he wrote back to inform me that it should be OK.

I like the idea of these campsites. Not disbursed camping but small campgrounds. Most have fewer than 10 sites and have fire rings and tables. Sometimes a potty, sometimes not. Same with water. There are hundreds of these campgrounds scattered around the Great State of Oregon (I love this state). Ray also has guides to Washington and Idaho.

One question to any horse campers out there... There are a lot of horse camps with corrals and such. Do you think it's OK to camp in these without horses? I hate to displace someone with horses as they don't have as many campground choices as we do.

See you on the trail.

John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #101
Rivet Master

I have seen three BLM campsites with horse corals in Utah. All three had enough space to accommodate quite a few campers. Privacy might be an issue to some. Sometimes I like company sometimes I don't.
Once, some folks started setting up camp way too close to us. An extra long version of " Smoke on the Water ", and the same beer can being thrown against a rock, sent them packing real quick like. Warning…you might run the risk of your neighbors asking for a beer and asking you to sing it one more time…haha. But I guess this doesn't answer your question

mandolindave is online now   Reply With Quote