Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozhadley View Post
We would LOVE to email you and get a list of the great boondocking places you have found....We want to BOOONDOCK in our 19' International Bambi Airstream we just purchased...
please send an email THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Dallas, Oregon
rozhadley@gmail.com
Hi Roz.....
We don't have a boon docking list but it's definitely something we should put together. In the meantime, you might want to look into the Area 33 rally thread here on AF....it's a fun, small group and is totally boon docking!
Mona

Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeachster View Post

Thanks so much. My personal email is southbeachster@gmail.com
Rich
hey Rich...sorry for the delayed response. Will get you rally info tomorrow
Mona

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Hood River , hood river
This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks for starting this. I would be happy to create a small website to post a list of the Oregon Boondocking resources that get posted here. If anyone can compile a text/link list just in any old text format, I'll do it if there's an interest.

This is Alice, as far as I know the only stripped and polished (350 hours) 19 Safari in existence. My pride and joy.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Zagarino,
That trailer is looking good! I'm guessing since it took 350 hours, you did it yourself? That is a huge amount of hours. I've heard of 8 hrs per foot. Did you polish this by hand? Like with no power tools?

There's boondocking spots all over Oregon. There's inherent problems with making an official website showing where the good spots are. 1. I'm not going to publish all my best spots to the WWW. Then every jackass around the country will be camping there and it won't be that special spot anymore. 2. people aren't going to contribute their best spots to a public spot.

I have been riding off-road motorcycles around Oregon for 20 years, so I have a little cheater method. It's really the best way to scout out those off the beaten path spots. I also have a large diesel 4x4 truck pulling a 4" lifted 28' trailer. So I think 95% of Airstreamers are not going to follow me to my special spots.

You can find a couple of my accessible spots listed here, even with GPS points. But those spots have unlimited amounts of space, and if every T, D, & H went out there, it wouldn't affect me at all. If you want the special, secret, hard to reach spots next to a small lake, a view, and only nature for miles around, you're going to have to buy me a six pack and sign a disclosure of secrecy.

-Kevin
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Beautiful looking AS Zagarino! I must agree with Kevin. I am more than willing to give information on the general area and what Forest Roads to use and I have posted them on here. There are some little hideaway gems that plenty of people already know about so hard to broadcast it to the world. The key is exploring while you are in the area and if you take your time and use the MVUM forest maps, you can find some cool places. We stayed at Lower Bridge campground on the Metolius last week and I did some exploring and found some isolated places to go next time. Also, unless you raise the AS, you can't go down a crummy road, the tank flush pipes hang way too low. Part of exploring is knowing which roads you can go down and turn around without problems. In short there are plenty of great places to camp in the National Forests away from people but being an avid flyfisherman, it is harder to find really good spots by a river or lake but there are out there. I will give everyone here a good spot since you do have to pay for it but it is isolated and on the river - Hardrock Campground on the South Fork of the McKenzie. You pay $22 a night and you have the whole place to yourself since it is designated a group campground.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ormond Beach , Florida
After reading this thread, Loretta and I booked the site on the South McKenzie for August 6-9. It is a group site so if anyone would like to join us for the weekend, let me know. The site only holds 10 people maximum and some friends want to join in. It is on the river and about an hour outside of Eugene off 126.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
After reading this thread, Loretta and I booked the site on the South McKenzie for August 6-9. It is a group site so if anyone would like to join us for the weekend, let me know. The site only holds 10 people maximum and some friends want to join in. It is on the river and about an hour outside of Eugene off 126.
Mike be aware that even though it is a group campsite it is not very big and was built more for multiple tents. Not sure how well a 27' will fit but maybe if you just stay on the entrance road you will be good. Good luck and ENJOY! Great spot.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Metolius

So here are a few pics on the Metolius. We stayed at Lower Bridge Campground and it was just us the first night and a guy camping out of his truck showed up the next night. 70 degrees and sunny but cold at night - perfect for camping. Had a big fish on but he shook the hook loose on a big jump. I found this campground to be the best of all the other campgrounds and with it being near a huge back eddy it was perfect for close fishing. Deschutes River near Mecca Flats this weekend for the big salmonfly hatch! Super excited as this is prime time to be there for fishing and weather. 80s during the day and 40s at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040866.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	186640   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040863.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	186641  

Name:	P1040870.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	186642   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040864.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	186643  

Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #79
1 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Awesome thread!

What a great thread! We've been camping for several years in Oregon State campgrounds and love almost all of them. We both still work so we pick campgrounds within 2 hours of Springfield so we can leave after work on a Friday, spend the weekend and get home Sunday afternoon. You can reserve Oregon State Parks up to 9 months in advance and for summer reservations at some parks you'd better be online just after midnight 9 months earlier. However, we just got a generator and are ready to get off the grid, so this thread is a great find. To get our money's worth out of our 25' Classic we camp every other weekend from Memorial Day through mid-October, then at least once a month until the next Memorial Day. Yes, sunny weather is nicer, but the beauty of our AS is we don't care what the weather is; it's just great to get away.

Now for the silly question: is there some kind of secret wave or signal or something to greet an Airstreamer headed the other way?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggootom View Post
...Is there some kind of secret wave or signal or something to greet an Airstreamer headed the other way?
Hold up your tool box.

We have access to my wife's family owned vacant lot in Pacific City, OR that they've been boondocking on for 35 years. Grandpa had a 5'er.

It was a nice Memorial Day Weekend.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
So this weekend Loretta, Gucci and i are up the McKenzie near McKenzie Bridge. We are at the Holiday RV Park in Rainbow. Anyway, we were able to go up to the campgrounf at Hardrock on the south fork and it was a neat campground! We are lookig forward to August to camp there. It is a bit tight but 2 trailers can fit there. Or a number of tents. It is right on the river with some of the best catch and release trout fishing.
We wil keep you all posted.
Mike and Loretta

BTW site #21 at Delta Campground looked pretty nice as well.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #82
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
I will be at Hardrock in June, so I will let you know how the fishing goes. Caught a 18+ up there last September. Just got back yesterday from the Mecca Flats area of the Deschutes and my son and I caught caught 18+ inch redsides and mine was a fatty and a good fighter! Hope to post some pics soon.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Corvallis , Oregon
Blackberry on the Alsea River

Wow, this thread has really taken off. Thank you to everyone for all your past, current and future contributions. Not everyone is open to sharing their favorite and often secret spots but I like to think the individuals who do share, also realize that they are sharing with fellow Airstream owners of the same respect and integrity. I personally will keep these locations private among my Airstream buddies.

Last weekend my wife and I spent a night at Blackberry Campground along the Alsea river. We were one of two people in the whole campground. I have often heard it is a favorite among my friends, customers and co-workers so we set out to experience it for ourselves. Check out the attached picture of our campsite.

Happy Camping,
-Brandon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	188079  
Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
South Fork McKenzie River

Just got back from dry camping on the the South Fork of the McKenzie River. Excellent spot right on the river with plenty of access for fishing and caught 4 redside rainbows and landed 3 and one was a fat 15" with good fight. Perfect camping weather - 70s and sunny and a little chilly at night but rained all day yesterday on the way home. In addition to this isolated camping spot, there are a few other things in the area to know. Hidden Lake is a very pretty high Cascade lake that is easy to get to but seems difficult to circumnavigate - saw a couple folks with canoes and rafts and I could see cutthroat jumping. There is a Christmas store about a mile west of Forest Rd 19 (this is the road that follows Cougar Reservoir and SF of the river) and there is a store with everything you need and gas about 3 miles east of Forest Rd 19. This forest understory is very plush and holds moisture and the thick canopy of the forest keeps it very cool, so great place to be on hot days. Lots of trails and rivers to explore and very pristine snow melt creeks. Best place I have been to yet in the Willamette Forest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040931.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	445.0 KB
ID:	189196   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040950.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	189197  

Name:	P1040948.jpg