Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
This is another cool spot near Morton, WA. This is where I got my advanced rating to Hang Glide, it's called Dog Mountain, but only by pilots. (there's another Dog Mt. for hikers) If the wind is West 15-25, you might see some cool flying. We just stopped there this time on our way to Seattle.
GPS: 46.487978,-122.1841

Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol View Post
I have to say, and I don't wan to step on any toes... but why would anyone buy an RV, drive 1-5 hours, then park in an RV park with 200 other people? All crammed in next to each other?

This is my 5th RV in 20yrs? And I've never done anything but boondocking. Isn't that the reason they're fully self contained?

Sorry for the commentary.

Here's one of my favorite spots:

Here's the GPS point: 43.79964,-120.99149 You can just plug that into Google Maps and export whatever format you want. If this spot is taken, there's 500 other spots down the road, just take your pick.

It's in the Millican Valley OHV. This is right on the edge of the OHV area, and you won't hear anything except every once in a while. We day trip to Paulina Lake, There's some ice caves to explore nearby, and also Oregon's largest Sitka Spruce?

Sweet spot! Thanks for sharing - I will definitely check out that area. Any water nearby? Like you, I got my trailer to go boondocking and get away from people and enjoy nature in some solitude but there are tons of people who use it as a mobile motel to enjoy their vacation destinations, etc. I did exactly that when we drove from Oregon to Monterey, CA to see my son - we stayed at RV sites because it dictated or purpose and what we needed to do. Whenever I pass by a stinky fully loaded campground of tenters and RVers, I always think to myself how that just doesn't look like a relaxing camping trip - but to each their own, everyone has their own idea of fun and relaxation.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
There's east lake and Paulina lake nearby. Very rustic and very cool. It's the middle of Newberry Volcano national park. Summer only. The lake is at 6200ft MSL. So the road is all snow until June.

If you are going, google "Paulina lake" and search for images. You'll see tons of cool stuff including a very rustic pub, with 5 rooms or cabins. It's a volcanic lake. Cold. Very cold water. It will be 90 at camp back at our spot, and I thought we'd day trip up to swim in the lake. Yea, I dipped my toes and that was enough. There's sweet boondocking all the way up to the edge of Prineville reservoir. Way bigger lake, much warmer water. Awesome pay sites all the way down the Crooked river.
I have to admit; most of the best spots I've found are from camping out near motorcycle races that I've done. One time a year races, or just fun riding spots. Getting out on an adventure bike exploring will show you 10,000 incredible hidden spots all over Oregon. I also got exposed to tons of unique spots from hang gliding all over OR and WA. I also built cell towers for a couple years and got exposed to some awesome remote areas with incredible vistas. In my mind, there's no reason to ever pack yourself into a RV destination.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #60

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofcontrol View Post
I have to say, and I don't wan to step on any toes... but why would anyone buy an RV, drive 1-5 hours, then park in an RV park with 200 other people? All crammed in next to each other?

This is my 5th RV in 20yrs? And I've never done anything but boondocking. Isn't that the reason they're fully self contained?
We've never stayed in anyplace I would describe as all crammed in, except when just making an overnight stop along the way. Mostly we stay at state parks or private parks with our friends. Nothing wrong with camping with 20 other trailers if they're all friends! And I've never been to a state park that felt crowded. I don't understand the appeal of those 'parking lot' type parks, but luckily there are a lot of different choices between the two extremes!

I am enjoying this boondocking thread. I hope we have a chance to get out more this summer and try some of these places. Please keep sharing, I'm making a list

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
After seeing some of the pictures posted here, I might have a change of heart. Obviously not all RV parks are trailer trash sardines. I shouldn't be so quick to judge, and stereotyping. Some of the places I like to camp are somewhat barren, and rugged. These lush, neat, manicured campgrounds might win me some points with my "less than rugged" princess wife and daughter.

I don't know if Valmog is still listening here, but the choices they make on camping spots, decor, mood, etc. is very inspiring. The little touches like the lights on the awning, and matching red candle lanterns could be the tipping point on getting my wife to take more trips in the trailer. I spent way too much time on their Blog after seeing her posts here and it was eye-opening on what a "camping" trip could be.

Sorry if I'm writing a book.

One more thing: One of the spots Valmog posted about that really looked good was Camp Creek. But I finally found a website about it, and it looks like they're limited to RVs less than 20ft. Looks awesome, but we're a little bloated at 28'. I think my truck is over that, barely. 21' ?

-Kevin
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
Salem , Oregon
Stephanie/Kevin,

There has been some good posts on this thread and Valmog has done a great job of capturing their adventures. They seem to be very adept at hitting the state campgrounds at perfect times when it is not crowded. As I wrote earlier, we like to do boondocking in the forests here in Oregon but if you hit it right, you could find some low use campgrounds. One thing I tell people on here is that Oregon has lots of dispersed camping in the National Forests but some do not, like in Siuslaw, you must camp at a designated camp area. We have found great locations by water (I like to fish) all over the Willamette National Forest and the Ochoco Forest (Kevin I think you would like that area). I plan on hitting the BLM lands by the Crooked River and the Deshcutes Wilderness Area by the the South Fork of the Mckenzie later this year. One of the best areas I have found in terms of camping off forest roads with good maintained roads is the area off Forest Road 46 in the Breitenbush area and Hwy 20 that follows the S Santiam enroute to Santiam Pass. Tons of great camping locations for RVs and trailers. Happy Camping!

Tom
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #63
Likes Shiny Tings

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Chiming in here as a PDX centered Airstream owner. Love this thread, I will be referring to it a lot I think and hopefully adding some info as we go.
Our vintage Airstream is in the shop being remodeled (big job!) and this will be our first year with it. We live in the city, so not too excited about crowded RV camps unless they are a stop along the way to another destination.

Have traveled all over Oregon all our lives truck and tent camping. Love Eastern Oregon. Can't wait to have our "house" with us and experience it that way. I plan to put a solar charging system on it.

I'd love to find a beach camp that isn't too "blacktop park experience" or uptight about our 3 medium sized (well controlled) dogs. Reading ocean view RV park rules on the coast is kind of discouraging so looking for alternatives.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #64
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
How do I go about joining this Oregon Airstream group? I live in Washington, but we are thinking about moving to Oregon!!!

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: http://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
hi Grapes....just found this thread. I'm the President of the Oregon Unit...if you can send me your email address thru PM I'll forward you sign up info and our rally listing for 2013.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #66

2012 22' FB Sport
Newport , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post
hi Grapes....just found this thread. I'm the President of the Oregon Unit...if you can send me your email address thru PM I'll forward you sign up info and our rally listing for 2013.
Hi Monah
I live in Newport and just getting started with our Airstream. Can you send me any info you might have about the Boondocking club of Or.
Thanks, Rich
Southbeachster@gmail.com
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeachster View Post

Hi Monah
I live in Newport and just getting started with our Airstream. Can you send me any info you might have about the Boondocking club of Or.
Thanks, Rich
Southbeachster@gmail.com
Hi Rich....
There are actually several members of the Oregon Airstream group camping at Sea & Sand...not too far from Newport. We don't have a boondocking club per se but several members of our club do enjoy camping off the grid. Send me a PM with your personal email address and I'll send you info on our rally plans.
Mona
Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Bend , Oregon
Hi 'streamers! Who's coming to Alumafandango in August? It isn't really a boondocky experience (the location looks gorgeous and swanky) but it's going to be a blast, and a great place to meet other Oregonian and northwesterly campers. Hope to see you there! Alumafandango About
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #69

2012 22' FB Sport
Newport , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by monah View Post

Hi Rich....
There are actually several members of the Oregon Airstream group camping at Sea & Sand...not too far from Newport. We don't have a boondocking club per se but several members of our club do enjoy camping off the grid. Send me a PM with your personal email address and I'll send you info on our rally plans.
Mona
Thanks so much. My personal email is southbeachster@gmail.com
Rich
Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Dallas , Oregon
We would LOVE to email you and get a list of the great boondocking places you have found....We want to BOOONDOCK in our 19' International Bambi Airstream we just purchased...
please send an email THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Dallas, Oregon
rozhadley@gmail.com