Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OK, for a dose of reality......comparing a campground with a wilderness is a bit of a stretch. In my specific case, my site will be within earshot of the following:

1) beach with bath house and concession
2) boat ramp
3) approved offshore boat anchorage outside and around swimming area
4) the main park road

And a little Honda 2000 is an infringement when operated outside quiet hours?

Really? that's what we're talking about here. I don't take a gennie to boundary waters canoe wilderness area on my annual pilgrimage...that's NOT what this is about!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Next to us there is a State Park with pristine little lake, no motors allowed, no lake homes gathered around. There is camping for tents only, or their camp cabins. And a wonderful paved bicycle trail through the woods, no motorized vehicles. No guns, no booze.

It is an very special place, quiet and peaceful, one of only a few like it outside of wilderness areas and the folks who use it love it for what it is.

I think we should let these places be, there are plenty of other choices. Seeing what you can get away with can only spoil the experience for others, sooner or later.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Next to us there is a State Park with pristine little lake, no motors allowed, no lake homes gathered around. There is camping for tents only, or their camp cabins. And a wonderful paved bicycle trail through the woods, no motorized vehicles. No guns, no booze.

It is an very special place, quiet and peaceful, one of only a few like it outside of wilderness areas and the folks who use it love it for what it is.

I think we should let these places be, there are plenty of other choices. Seeing what you can get away with can only spoil the experience for others, sooner or later.
I agree! And do that, read #101.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Some people want to enjoy their quiet generators, some don't.

A quiet generator in my opinion is not an infringement that those who claim offense should be given special standing under the law overriding the rights of others who enjoy a bit more civilization in their camping experience.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Some people want to enjoy their quiet generators, some don't.

A quiet generator in my opinion is not an infringement that those who claim offense should be given special standing under the law overriding the rights of others who enjoy a bit more civilization in their camping experience.
But you forget.....we live in the United States of the Offended.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #106
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Take an accordion with you.

1. Get the accordion out of the case
2. Place the case over the Generator and fire up generator
3, Place donation cup / nice sign (for awesome busking) directly on top of case
4. When you become concerned that you may be discovered, play accordion to mask any small gen sounds.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
You don't need our approval to pay the fine.
If you are trying to stealthily use a generator, the ranger may react differently than if you are simply caught in the open. Different LEOs have different thresh holds for citing ... don't count on an understanding LEO if you are clearly well-planned to break the law. I have seen fellow officers get very upset at just the sight of a radar detector ... then stack the citations.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #108
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Last weekend I was camping on some private land in Wisconsin.

The two adjacent rigs were running generators more or less all morning and evening. One was a homemade conversion of a cargo trailer and the other was a pop-up truck camper. I don't think either one had a functioning 12v system. It was loud.

I didn't bring a generator and figured on running the truck engine if necessary to recharge batteries. It wasn't necessary. (2 days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Don't count on you idling truck to re-charge your batteries.
Before I left I used a load tester to discharge my trailer batteries to 90% and then measured the current in the charge line. I got 25 amps. With the load set at 75 amps I got 50 amps from the truck. I have 6/2 boat cable running from the battery isolator to the trailer connector.

I also have an extra group 24 deep cycle battery under the hood of the truck, that is on the charge line side of the isolator, to provide extra capacity. That way the battery recharges when we make trips away from the campsite.

I don't own a generator and would only ever need one to run the A/C since if we ever really got in a bind I know I could idle the engine for half an hour. Might add solar at some point but don't really need it.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
You don't need our approval to pay the fine.
If you are trying to stealthily use a generator, the ranger may react differently than if you are simply caught in the open. Different LEOs have different thresh holds for citing ... don't count on an understanding LEO if you are clearly well-planned to break the law. I have seen fellow officers get very upset at just the sight of a radar detector ... then stack the citations.
You mean like digging a 4' X4' hole 3' deep?

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
So if you run your generator at home behind the trailer and walk past the front of the trailer to where you think the campground loop road would be can you hear it?

I remember our first trip to Glacier Natl Park in Many Glacier campground where generators are allowed in certain parts fo the campground I was walking to the Swiftcurrent Inn store. The trail cut between a couple of campsites and one of them was occupied by an Airstream and they had a generator running. Not sure the brand but it was loud and smelly. Probably not a Honda. I didn't like it and was glad I wasn't in the next campsite. But on that trip was very proud of my home made portable solar panel that kept our Casita battery charged the 4 days we were there so I was feeling especially "green" that day.

We've found even in shady campsites the campground loop road usually has sunlight coming in during the summer months because the sun is so high in the sky.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=richw46;1489383]Have you seen these? They work very well

Yes sir, insulated coffee cups are multipurpose but for folks needing upgrades:

Stealth His & Hers
http://www.thebeerbelly.com/

Something for everyone:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IJ6...&robot_redir=1

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=FCloud9;1489484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Have you seen these? They work very well

Stealth His & Hers
The Beerbelly- Stealth Beverage System

Something for everyone:
GoPong Hidden Sunscreen Alcohol Flask, 2-Pack:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining

Sir, you make me laugh. Think I'd attract more attention in that bra than running the generator?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Last weekend I was camping on some private land in Wisconsin.

The two adjacent rigs were running generators more or less all morning and evening. One was a homemade conversion of a cargo trailer and the other was a pop-up truck camper. I don't think either one had a functioning 12v system. It was loud.

I didn't bring a generator and figured on running the truck engine if necessary to recharge batteries. It wasn't necessary. (2 days)

Before I left I used a load tester to discharge my trailer batteries to 90% and then measured the current in the charge line. I got 25 amps. With the load set at 75 amps I got 50 amps from the truck. I have 6/2 boat cable running from the battery isolator to the trailer connector.

I also have an extra group 24 deep cycle battery under the hood of the truck, that is on the charge line side of the isolator, to provide extra capacity. That way the battery recharges when we make trips away from the campsite.

I don't own a generator and would only ever need one to run the A/C since if we ever really got in a bind I know I could idle the engine for half anhhour. Might add solar at some point but don't really need it.
Yeah, I know there's ways to do the truck, but I don't have that luxury to do mods....I use my company demos. No mods allowed. And in any case it is very inefficient, fuel wise, and LOUDER than the generator. (diesel)

Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #114
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Operating in "stealth" mode

[QUOTE=dznf0g;1489488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

Sir, you make me laugh. Think I'd attract more attention in that bra than running the generator?
'twas the intent...I've come to my own conclusion that between camping trips be it "wilderness" , beach, lake, river, mountains, boondocks, parking lots, road side rests or back yards....we become afflicted with that disease lacksaairstreaming and amuse ourselves with fellow streamers on the forum. What a great community- weather we're newbies stressing out about how much torque or which hitch/stabilizer/brake module to buy, cooking gadgets, custom sheets, gizmos & gadgets we cannot due w/o....or our trailer leaks, dents or tow vehicle breaks down on a lonely back road....the Airstream community is ready to help out!
Or share great trip reports, secret boondocking spots or "stealth ops"
and lots of laughter!!!!
Hope to met some of you someday!

FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So I guess what some of you are saying is , unless you get caught, you haven't done anything wrong? Seems to be the way the younger generation has been raised. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
[QUOTE=FCloud9;1489484]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Have you seen these? They work very well

Stealth His & Hers
The Beerbelly- Stealth Beverage System

Something for everyone:
GoPong Hidden Sunscreen Alcohol Flask, 2-Pack:Amazon:Kitchen & Dining

I bow to your inventiveness, but I have to agree with Rich, I don't think I could pull off wearing one of those things.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The wine bra adds new meaning to "My cup runneth over"!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Stealth can be GOOD

See? Here's what happens when you let it all hang out!

Portable toilet for the outdoorsman.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=richw46;1489502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post

I bow to your inventiveness, but I have to agree with Rich, I don't think I could pull off wearing one of those things.

HEY NOW!

I never said I couldn't pull it off.......

Old 07-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Get me a couple "tall boys"....and I got 'er handled.....till I start "deflatin 'em". I gits thirsty!