Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Four days and LED lights? With good batteries you shouldn't even need to recharge, unless you're running an inverter of something.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That rule was probably put in place after people with contractor generators insisted on running them 24/7.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I would put the generator in the back of the truck and run it late morning when many folks are away from their campsites. You could possibly stretch a tarp partially over the bed of the truck, just make sure it stays away from the generator to help keep down the noise.
Maybe bring a 100' extension cord and put the generator away from the campsite or neighbors.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I don't think you really exist. You're just part of the "Matrix" aren't you? Me.....I'm not paranoid at all!
You will be when several of us call the campground to complain about the Airstreamer using the generator!

I've seen NP campgrounds that have generator and no generator sections - I'm pretty sure Big Meadows in Shenandoah is this way.

I doubt you'll have a problem with one of those Honda 2000s...they're SO quiet it's amazing (we have them too). Put some stuff around it (bins for stuff, etc.) when it's running and I bet no one more a few feet away will even know. I suspect if that type of generator was what everyone had, the "no generator" policy wouldn't exist or would be a lot more loose.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #45
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
a suggestion; get a sheet of rigid foam insulation and make a box with one open side. It will allow the genny to breath and let out very little sound.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Too much trouble to break camp and head out of the park where you can fire up the generator for a while? Just a thought
A lot of trouble, yes. It the principle of the thing too.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
This does not say "prohibited", just "typically not allowed", also that property managers have "full discretion for generator use". Right?

Wisconsin State Park System Generator use

Generator use is typically not allowed in Wisconsin State Parks. Property managers have full discretion for generator use. Any camper who needs to operate a generator because of a health condition will be required to take an electrical site if any is available and not use the generator unless an outage occurs. Because the available electric site is not in a preferred location is not valid justification for the camper refusing to accept that site assignment.

It would seem that basic courtesy and discretion, as to timing of your generator use, should leave you undisturbed, particularly if you are in a non-electric area. (Former government employees always read the fine print. )

Good luck,

Maggie
Hi, Maggie! I read it several times and wondered the same as you. I weaselly worded enough that statement can be interpreted as allowances for medical reasons only...or to allow discretion by Park officials to stop loud and un-courteous use. We'll see.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Four days and LED lights? With good batteries you shouldn't even need to recharge, unless you're running an inverter of something.
Dunno, I've never done 4 dry days in a row. But I am sure the FF will be used a bit and I have kids and grandchildren along. I won't let myself be a power cop and infringe on a good time.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
A lot of trouble, yes. It the principle of the thing too.
Well then just do what Click and Clack, the Tappat Brothers, recommend; turn the radio up. That should mask the generator sound, maybe play some heavy metal.

I just got some new Lifeline batteries but the old set still has some decent life in it. We dry camped for 2 days on the new ones, using the inverter for TV. I think if I was going to go for more and no generator I'd pack the extra 2. I know, a lot of trouble and weight/room.

For those 2 days we were in a National park and just across from the rest room, which had power. If I had taken my 100' extension cord I could have charged up at night, snaking the cord to the ladies room.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have the Supergen tent on order, have an extension cord and will consider time of day and gennie placement for "stealth mode". I am going to use it, so we'll see. I'll play dumb ans stupid (I'm very good at that, comes naturally) if questioned.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've been on both sides of this. In a tent on a quiet little peninsula with only the sound of wind in the pines and loons calling. Pretty nice. And campgrounds that were like a nuthouse with radios blaring, generators running, and diesels idling. Not so nice.

I wouldn't run the generator if there's a chance of disturbing the quiet some folks came for, regulation aside.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We've been on both sides of this. In a tent on a quiet little peninsula with only the sound of wind in the pines and loons calling. Pretty nice. And campgrounds that were like a nuthouse with radios blaring, generators running, and diesels idling. Not so nice.

I wouldn't run the generator if there's a chance of disturbing the quiet some folks came for, regulation aside.
Oh, absolutely! I've been to this park many times before, but in the electric area. It's in between. It is always full....always, so remote, quiet and peaceful, it's not, but it's not raucous either.

It is a vacation destination with waterfront on Green Bay. So it has a beach, boating, fishing and all the commercial amenities you can imagine.

I have purchased my equipment in consideration of others and will use in consideration of others in any scenario.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
generator?

I stopped doing anything in WIS. after they charged me just to drive thru one their state campgrounds!! no way never again...........joe q
joqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Hi, Maggie! I read it several times and wondered the same as you. I weaselly worded enough that statement can be interpreted as allowances for medical reasons only...or to allow discretion by Park officials to stop loud and un-courteous use. We'll see.
I don't think it's prohibited, Rich.

There is clearly wiggle room here, they just want to be able to manage it and prevent abuse, IMO.

I would print out a copy of this regulation and have it with you, should an issue be raised by someone with authority.

Assert your rights gently, with your nicest smile, and ask when is a good time to run your generator.

I would think that, mid-day to mid-afternoon, you would be safe.

Maggie
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"with your nicest smile"

I'll have to check current inventory, but I'm not sure I have one of those in stock. Sometimes illogical situations drain my inventory.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #56
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Anything about chainsaws?
Just drop a few trees so your solar system will work.
Then bribe all with free firewood, , ,
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Here's what you do,

Get a 6 outlet power bar and plug it in to your generator, place the generator way back in the woods.

Plug 5 yellow extension cords and one green extension cord in to the powerbar, the longer the cords the better.

Run the unobtrusive green cord to your campsite,
Route the 5 yellow cords toward other campsites.

When the ranger shows up look very unhappy and ask him what he's going to do about the rude campers with the noisy generator. While he follows the yellow cords to 5 dead ends looking for the generator owner, unplug and hid your green cord.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
I read the rule you posted and am curious: did you happen to ask the "property manager" about the super-quiet generators? Since the rules say that the "property manager" has full discretion, maybe they make exceptions. Some people are notorious for showing up with those contractor-type generators that make as much noise as a few lawn mowers.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edistobob View Post
I read the rule you posted and am curious: did you happen to ask the "property manager" about the super-quiet generators? Since the rules say that the "property manager" has full discretion, maybe they make exceptions. Some people are notorious for showing up with those contractor-type generators that make as much noise as a few lawn mowers.
No, I'm not there yet.....and it is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #60
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When I camp at some of my favorite camgrounds in Shenandoah NP, there are sites where generators are allowed and those that are not. If I choose to camp in one of the non-genny sites I would feel put-upon (a useful southern term) if someone shows up and runs his genny.

Especially if his "need" is based upon his lack of planning.

Yes, a quiet genny is better than a contractor-grade, but not as quiet as no genny.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is online now   Reply With Quote