Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Austin , Texas
One-night stays

Searched for this question and didn't see it; excuse me if it's been answered (also, please forgive my cluelessness). But my question is this: if you can't make it to a park or campsite or similar before the end of the day (and supposing you don't want to drive all night, either), where do you stay for the night? I know Walmart will let you set up in their parking lots but you can't count on a Walmart everywhere. So where do you set up? And how much hassle is it to stop for one night? Thanks.
ElJefe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have pulled off the road onto a truck pull off and shut the truck off. I leave everything connected and sleep on the front couch as long as necessary. I turn the water pump on if needed for the toilet and then turn it off again.

BTW, always turn the water pump off and then bleed the water pressure down using the toilet action. That way there is no water on the kitchen counter, bath sink or shower or sloshing out of the toilet bowl when under way again.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Some Walmarts no longer allow overnight RV parking. There are boondocking apps for your phone that can tell you if the nearby Cabelas, Lowes or Walmart allow overnight stays. Better have a generator though it could be hot!
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
You will get a lot of comments on this post. I'm in Venice, Florida & during the snow bird season I've seen RV's in shopping centers, church parking lots, car dealerships & just about everywhere. I'm sure some of these folks got asked or told to move so they find a new spot. Any of the above is not a good idea, if in an emergency situation from lack of sleep just pull into an interstate rest area & don't overstay your welcome.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I've stayed in many a truck stop, parked right in the middle of the truckers that are stopped for a nap.

It's a bit noisy with truckers pulling in and out all night long, but you are safe there. You get used to that commotion after a while.

You can't actually camp there, but you can stop for some sleep. Just pull into the parking formation, and leave everything hooked up. I usually buy some fuel when I leave, or have breakfast in their coffee shop, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

I have found truckers to be very friendly. Many of them have campers, also.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Truck Stops -- pull in, gas up, clean up, sleep, head on out. rinse, repeat.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Rest areas, i leave everything hooked, close my drapes and unplug from my car 7 prong plug. Dont want to drain my car battery.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have stopped and "cat napped" a bit.... But in Texas, man das some warm nappin'!!! I think I prefer a "cat" nap over a "dirt" nap... That might happen if I drive myself to sleep.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #9
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
If you're an Elk, you can usually boondock in the parking lot of most Elks lodges. Many of them have RV hookups. Cost is minimal, and the bar is usually open!

We often stay at Elks lodges here in the West. This Friday, we'll be staying over at the Lodge in Flagstaff. Friday is Fish Fry night!

Not an Elk? Join up! It's inexpensive, and it's yet another way to meet lots of nice folks. They raise money for good causes, too.

btw, the Allstays smartphone app has an Elks filter, so it's easy to locate the lodges that have hookups. The national Elks website also has a list of RV sites available to members.

Cheap overnights. Cheap drinks. What's not to like?
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've heard about the Elks, and I've also heard that you have to be recommended to get in. I've asked around, and it doesn't seem like anybody I know is an Elk. So how do you get a membership?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Cracker Barrel is another option.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #12
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I've heard about the Elks, and I've also heard that you have to be recommended to get in. I've asked around, and it doesn't seem like anybody I know is an Elk. So how do you get a membership?
You need to be "sponsored" by two members. Many elks lodges are in need of new members as the old guard dies off. If you want to join a lodge in your area, just stop in and tell the person in the office - or the bartender, if the office is closed - that you're interested in becoming an Elk, and they can probably find a couple of members who would be glad to sponsor you.

Application fee is $25, and dues are less than $100 a year.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote