Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
If the AS in question doesn't have enough structural integrity to carry this tiny generator in such manner, while maintaining proper TWR, while not exceeding known weight limits (real or imagined bumper limit not included); should it trusted to do anything? (Just my observation)

Ever considered that the rear bumper limit doesn't apply here, since there is no longer a bumper. I like the look without bumper (Just My Opinion)

I think I can speak for many when I say, I don't give a hoot what AS recommends and I will do what I think is okay without consulting with AS first. I get to use my brain and I get to ignore the unfounded paranoia of others. (Life lesson)

I would not mount anything to the bumper of my 23FB which left the factory with less than 10% TWR. The only model I know like this. (Just the facts)

WW
Whose? 😂

Most folks realize that JC just's pins the tail on the donkey regarding TW.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions and paranoia.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You forgot 45 pounds for the bumper. So according to you and Airstream 147 pounds is fine. BUT you claim reducing that weight to 128 pounds will cause problems.

Why would 19 pounds less cause problems?
Now I have to include weight for a non-existent bumper as well? You are sure hard to please...but ok. Before you say anything more, I am going to be proactive and commit to no longer traveling with my unicorn in the the bathroom. That guy does nothing but eat Skittles and fart rainbows all day. Can't trust a creature like that.

Your work is done here sir. My life has been changed.
Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampman View Post
Now I have to include weight for a non-existent bumper as well? You are sure hard to please...but ok. Before you say anything more, I am going to be proactive and commit to no longer traveling with my unicorn in the the bathroom. That guy does nothing but eat Skittles and fart rainbows all day. Can't trust a creature like that.

Your work is done here sir. My life has been changed.
I think he was arguing FOR your modification, not against. When he said "you" he did not mean "you" the OP he meant "you" some other poster. That's how I read it at least.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
I’ve seen (and participated in) some doosey threads here, but this one takes the cake. OP, for peace of mind you might want to measure tongue weight. If you’re in the 10-15 % range, you’re good to go.
Looks like a nice setup.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
One Generator with a classy carrier

Tongue weight being in the right (10-15%) is critical. Sway easily starts if that is not right. Don’t guess. Weigh it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Tongue weight being in the right (10-15%) is critical. Sway easily starts if that is not right. Don’t guess. Weigh it.
While tongue weight is important it is not as important as having a tow vehicle that is beefy enough to keep the trailer from swaying to begin with.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #47
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Lern something new every day...

Today...beefey toe vehicles prevent sway. 😂
Only if you have the beef...👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
While tongue weight is important it is not as important as having a tow vehicle that is beefy enough to keep the trailer from swaying to begin with.
These 3/4 tons must not be beefy enough as there's plenty of threads trying to figure out how to keep them from swaying.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rs-192842.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ng-193081.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 PM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
These 3/4 tons must not be beefy enough as there's plenty of threads trying to figure out how to keep them from swaying.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ng-193081.html
So... the beef does sway, I always thought it was the Airstream, got it, the beef is so beefie you don't even notice the sway..."it toes like it's not even there"😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

I disagree. We’ve even seen pictures posted in forums of accidents where the trailer flipped the “beefy tow vehicle” on its roof.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #51
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I do not agree.

Trailer sway is the fish tailing of the trailer while pivoting on the ball. The trailer does not care what the ball is attached to as sway is something that the trailer does. Some hitches lock the trailer inline with the trailer which has proven very effective. For the rest of us sway can happen. If you have a big heavy duty truck, your rig can resist the sway because of it's footprint and it's weight. The expression, it tows like it isn't there is often used by the big truck towers, because if it is swaying, they can not feel it. The size and weight of the big truck has a down size too. The truck can resist the sway action of the trailer for a limited amount. When the forces of sway get too big they can overpower the biggest of trucks. We have all seen YouTube videos of a trailer going ide to side and flipping a large truck.

With a smaller truck, suv or car the forces of sway will be felt much sooner and the driver can take appropriate action to bring the rig back under control.

Based on this, one might say that a smaller TV is in some ways safer that that big truck.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Just 2 examples of “beef” getting cooked....

https://youtu.be/CJtmOPdWrlE

1:15 dually 3500
8:53 Ford 2500??
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
https://youtu.be/i2fkOVHAC8Q

This provides a good illustration of car/trailer stability based on weight distribution in the trailer. Note that in either case there was sway caused by some perturbation (in real life it could be a gust of wind). However the difference is stability: will the sway dampen out or increase out of control?
Also keep in mind that it’s not just how much weight you have behind the trailer wheels- it’s also the location of the weight. 100 lbs 10’ to the rear of the trailer axle is equivalent to 1000 lbs 1’ to the rear. That is why tongue weight is important.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I hate that video; Not realistic at all and what trailer has the axle mounted dead center? It would sway with out any of the weights.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I see it as clearly depicting the consequences of one of the many possible trailer load distribution issues. Too much weight behind the axle and not enough tongue weight is a for sure sway inducer scenario.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #56
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
A big truck can not prevent trailer sway. Period. Old wives tale.
Bigger truck is less affected by a little sway and could go unnoticed for the most part. But if things are setup wrong, sway it will.
Another old wives tale while I’m meddlin’ is that you need a big truck to stop a trailer. That’s why trailers have brakes. Need flash, they stop their own inertia unless something is amiss. These are “reasons” a guy tells wife so he can talk her into a big truck. Wives beware.
WW
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
I doubt a small generator hanging off the rear bumper is going to make a big difference, though that would be the worst location for a heavy load. Not only do you have to keep a certain amount of weight on the tongue to prevent sway but the distance of the load to the rear axle (the sway pivot point) makes a big difference. The load moment of inertia increases with the square of the distance from the pivot. If you do have heavy stuff to carry then try to place it over the trailer axles.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Just make sure you always do a walk around, at the gas station, make sure it's still there after going over the entry slope. And watch in your mirrors when leaving.

What's that shark fin on the bottom? That bolt on part (with the scraper edge) and the nuts doesn't look like it will sustain too many strikes. Or is it all just photo perspective?

Maybe install one of these back there somewhere
hitch wheel
Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
On the Lake , Georgia
For a while I thought I had stumbled into "The Argue Thread"
Must be a slow week or folks have been coop up to long.
WBAC # 2759
Noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
One Generator with a classy carrier

[QUOTE=pteck;2222644]”These 3/4 tons must not be beefy enough as there's plenty of threads trying to figure out how to keep them from swaying.”

I was the OP on this and my issue was NOT sway. I have none at all. Issue was bent bars which BO are replacing.