Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampman View Post
Got my Torklift Lock and Load generator carrier to hold by Generac 2200i in very classy fashion all set up this week. In combination with the Micro-Air Easy Start I am able to limit myself to one small generator to power the 13500 BTU AC unit plus a nearly everything else, save the micro wave.

I wanted to keep my AS sans bumper because I really like the sloaping aesthetic being visually uninterrupted when not carrying the generator.

Really happy with this Torklift product that easily locks into the Torklift trailer hitch added to the AS.
It looks pretty clean. How much overall weight have you added back there with the mount and generator? Did you consult with anyone from AS or expert's who modify AS's, like CanAm, about adding this extra weight in the rear. My concern as others have pointed out, is the added weight back there causing sway when towing your Sport, which no one wants to see. I know adding something like that without AS approval will void any warranty, assuming your concerned about that. Happy travels.

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Ditto.

Just a simple factual observation that Airstream's design parameters probably do not anticipate this much weight at the rear.

Just a simple fact . . . for everyone's information.

Exceeding a manufacturer's recommendations exposes the owner to various risks, which he or she is free to ignore [blithely IMO].

No flaming etc. in these simple factual observations.

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- The combined weight of the lift and gen is, what, about 170 pounds? [another simple fact BTW!]
Generator is 46 lbs empty
Lock and load is 30 lbs
Added receiver is 40 lbs.

So add 2 gallons of gas at just over 12 pounds

So 128 total.

Vs.

Bumper at 45 pounds
Full 42 gallons (black and grey) at 8.5 lbs a gallon

Total 402 lbs after the axle.

Glampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Ditto.

Just a simple factual observation that Airstream's design parameters probably do not anticipate this much weight at the rear.

Just a simple fact . . . for everyone's information.

Exceeding a manufacturer's recommendations exposes the owner to various risks, which he or she is free to ignore [blithely IMO].

No flaming etc. in these simple factual observations.

Happy trails,

Peter

PS -- The combined weight of the lift and gen is, what, about 170 pounds? [another simple fact BTW!]
Thanks! Important to note that "simple fact" and "probably" cancel each other out in your statement.

You may be able to confirm whether or not you are stating a "simple fact" but for now we will have to settle for "simple opinion."
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I like the install and idea of having power while boondocking, but I too would be concerned about the added weight that far back. Please provide us updates on how it tows while fully loaded.
Obviously you don't have a truck to haul a generator in the back like I and many others.
Enjoy!
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Generator is 46 lbs empty
Lock and load is 30 lbs
Added receiver is 40 lbs.

So add 2 gallons of gas at just over 12 pounds

So 128 total.

Vs.

Bumper at 45 pounds
Full 42 gallons (black and grey) at 8.5 lbs a gallon

Total 402 lbs after the axle.
In the interest of reporting, You added 128 pounds at the rear, but subtracted 45 pounds removing the bumper, so a net gain of 83 pounds. I don't see where the black and grey tanks are relevant!
Airstream would have gladly sold you a Fiamma bike rack for two bikes and no one is writing them about trailer sway!

If it works for you, it's a nice install.
I'd have concerns about dragging it on gas station curbs and uneven pavement.
I'd want a back up camera so I didn't back into something, I can't tell from your pictures if you did that.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Prepare to be flamed....
Seeing that it is a substandard lowly Generac that you mounted back there your AS will split in half the first concrete road joint you cross. Now should you have mounted a triple A forum approved Honda all would be good. :-)
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Thanks! Important to note that "simple fact" and "probably" cancel each other out in your statement.

You may be able to confirm whether or not you are stating a "simple fact" but for now we will have to settle for "simple opinion."
The Fiamma rack is designed to carry 75 lbs. of bike, and it weighs 27 pounds:

https://store.airstream.com/product/...kes-by-fiamma/

Total weight 102 pounds. I don't have a reference for where Airstream says this is the max allowable, but many earlier posts have links for this.

I really don't have the energy to debate this with you, or with anyone else, but if you want to expose yourself and your family to the various risks, including liability after an accident [whether or not it was your fault] . . . not to mention personal injury or death . . .

. . . be my guest . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Seeing that it is a substandard lowly Generac that you mounted back there your AS will split in half the first concrete road joint you cross. Now should you have mounted a triple A forum approved Honda all would be good. :-)
Another mature helpful post . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:

Total weight 102 pounds. I don't have a reference for where Airstream says this is the max allowable, but many earlier posts have links for this.

I really don't have the energy to debate this with you, or with anyone else, but if you want to expose yourself and your family to the various risks, including liability after an accident [whether or not it was your fault] . . . not to mention personal injury or death . . .

. . . be my guest . . .

The OP will be fine. Commenting for awareness is one thing, but all this doom and gloom is frankly counter productive....like the person of similar screename himself.

So none of you must ever put anything in your bumpers but air? Helium might work better to ensure more stability.

And if 128lbs was not within structural engineering margin...
Tongue Mount Honda eu2200i - Rear Hitch - Underbelly Storage - Blizzard NXT w/ EasyStart - 3" Lift - 6" Fan Controller
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Renton , Washington
Quote:

. . . be my guest . . .

Just to understand the equatuon:

Agree with your opinion = not killing my family
So the inverse is saving my family from death and probably also saving cute babies, penguins, and the free world.

Hmmm...pretty simple to me. You must be right. Thanks for helping me understand with such a clear juxtaposition.

Anyone want to buy a used Torklift Lock and Load, a Generac generator (also killng babies and seals with emissions), and for that matter my leather shoes?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Driving down the freeway some time ago was passed by a guy towing a airstream with a ATV hanging off the back.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Appreciate your intent relative to the weight. I tested the trailer on the freeway in quite windy conditions. No additional sway in the rear.

I am assuming your perception might be bent towards how you may distribute weight in the back of your own trailer when you travel. I am highly cognizant of weight ratios and closely monitoring my speed. Sewer tanks are empty and no other additional items weighing in the back.

I know, it is much easier to view and comment without considering nuance. Nuance is far more boring than absolutism. The world was flat until it wasn't.

Enjoy the Spring and I will enjoy the vitriol my post will likely engender. And I will have cool AC minus shore power in the meantime.
I like it! I'm no physicist, but I doubt the extra 40-50 lbs isn't an issue. Enjoy.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #27
Wolfwhistle

2013 23' International
HILLIARD , Florida
Quote:
Got my Torklift Lock and Load generator carrier to hold by Generac 2200i in very classy fashion all set up this week. In combination with the Micro-Air Easy Start I am able to limit myself to one small generator to power the 13500 BTU AC unit plus a nearly everything else, save the micro wave.

I wanted to keep my AS sans bumper because I really like the sloaping aesthetic being visually uninterrupted when not carrying the generator.

Really happy with this Torklift product that easily locks into the Torklift trailer hitch added to the AS.
G, the only thing I don't like about it is that it isn't mine. Sounds like you know what you are doing and have the setup correct and watching TWR, etc, etc. Keep the shiny side up.
Safe travels, WW
Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I like it.
However; if it were mine I would add red reflectors and a cover just lots of dust flying around back there.

Of course you will have to calculate the added weight.