Old 11-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #15
Some Guy

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Nashville , Tennessee
Ray, You are located in Colorado. You have places to get "remote" but on the East Coast, there just aren't many places you can get "away" anymore. I recently sold my Conqueror Commander and well "built" Land Rover LR3 for a 2015 F250 (which I have built) and a 2015 25' Eddie Bauer due to the "outdoor" favorable interior, and the additional 2 inches in lift and the larger wheels and tires.

We found that with the Conqueror (UEV 490) Commander, we could go anywhere our built truck could go, but there were only two times that we were able to find a place remote enough that we wouldn't have been able to pull the trailer to. Every other place we camped with that extreme trailer, we could have done in the AirStream. At least with the AS, we have air, heat, indoor facilities, indoor cooking, and comfortable beds!

I realize you guys have much more remote access out West, so I guess my point is ... at least with the EB, you are starting with a trailer that is a little more "extreme" than the standard AS.

Here was our past rig:

Current Rig:

2015 F250 TV-Petrol
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
OtG is now a RV Park with hookups to many Trailer owners

Nashrover is one of thousands of Airstream trailer owners East of the Rockies, with a lack of places to set camp and not pay for a Private or a State provided camp site. It is the dilemma for those East of the "Western States". Not that it is negative, but I am a product of the open country and National Forests to roam at will.

Living in Missouri I did not need a trailer since there were no places I wanted to pay to camp. I had to jump private property barbed wire fences to hunt Indian Artifacts in the Spring and Fall plow seasons. When soil conservation required just scratching the surface of the fields after harvest, there was no longer a reason to drive the back roads of central Missouri and my eyes were set... Go West Middle Aged Man.

Europeans in their rental RV's are absolutely "surprised" with the wide open spaces found in the Rocky Mountain "region". Some appear a bit shaken from the experience of loneliness and shear magnitude of wild geography. Most find comfort at a RV Park, which is the norm for European camping. My Dutch relatives take their mini car, pulling a mini trailer to Greece to find some change of scenery at a mini park. When they visited Missouri, they thought they were in Siberia and staying in Independence, Missouri was a remote settlement.

Not all of the Rockies are a help yourself to a camping spot. Colorado with its early mining has deeded properties everywhere and well posted to Keep Out. Western South Dakota, as well within the Black Hills. The western third of Montana has most of the "public lands" within that State. Finding a "flat spot" in Idaho is tough when looking for any OtG camp sites. Arizona has large Indian Reservations, leaving less "public lands" to explore, than you would have expected. I could write a chapter just on the differences just within one State of how the "public lands" are distributed.

This leaves: Wyoming. Utah. New Mexico. Nevada.

Even Wyoming is limited with much of the Cattle Country and east of the Rocky Mountains being deeded. Maybe some National Grasslands scattered about, but for the most part, Wyoming's OtG begins, where the mountains rise above the lower elevation prairies.

Utah with the multitude of National and State Parks takes up a large part of the State. Between the Parks are "public lands" and you can seek them out and enjoy the lack of tourists with the scenery all to yourselves. Early Mormon settlements occupied the watered lands for crops and grazing in the 19th century.

New Mexico. Again, where there was flat ground with water... deeded, so you must find yourself at higher elevations where Ranchers lease the grazing rights during the Summers and remove their cattle before the snow and cold closes these options down.

This leaves, Nevada. Although wide open spaces of public lands, yet lacking roads to access much of these potential OtG campsites seen in the distance. Mining towns that have remained since the 1860's and surrounded by miles of desolate deserts and cool mountains with access for OtG campsites still survive, many barely. Most, hunter's camps during the Fall left for travelers like ourselves in the warm months.

I am so use to being able to look fifty, a hundred miles from my campsite. The idea of traveling into the thick forests of the USA I find as uncomfortable, as the open remote high country of the Rockies would be to you and Europeans.

Enjoy what you have to explore and find those isolated National Forests campsites and remote private campgrounds. They are remnants of what will be lost to towns and cities needing more land to expand. We in the Western USA already see changes limiting was is available for access to remote campsites. I regret that in ten years, access roads will fall into such disrepair and only 4x4 and tent camps are left for hunting seasons. I already see this occurring in my travels, roads lacking repair unless necessary for isolated ranches within National Forests.

Time changes your expectations, and usually not to the better. You and your trailer still can find room to explore with the use of maps and internet sites as the Airstream Forum. It is unusual that anyone will divulge these hidden gems to anyone but their next of kin... even if anyone is told. Be it your back yard, a lake side rental or an obscure OtG camp... do it now. Tomorrow, even these places will change with time and you are left with fewer places to go and must get in line and follow those who also waited too long to explore and find themselves making reservations in advance.

Already Off the Grid camping is at a RV Park with hookups. Today a National Forest dry camp with a water pump is the closest to OtG even we will find out West. Support them with your visits when having to chose between a RV Park or Forest Service campground. When I find myself camped with 100's of trailers to watch a balloon festival in Albuquerque, NM to escape the crowds... my trailer will be put up for sale and i will call it quits.

That is what televisions are for. Not my trailer.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
"Jacked Up" Tow Vehicle affects towing

Many in our new neighborhood in southern Nevada have a garage for a RV, trailer or a boat.

Last week one neighbor was having several large sections of his concrete driveway to his RV garage jack hammered out. He has a boat the size of my trailer, if not longer. A boat on wheels. The arc of the grade was being lowered about 12 inches.

His tow vehicle was "jacked up" with oversized wheels and lifted leaf springs. This "improvement" of his tow vehicle created angles that caused his hitch to drag and boat trailer when driving off the street and up his driveway grade. Of course, it was the fault of the concrete contractor... not his.

So add to my observations: If you are going to "upgrade your suspension to Baja Desert Racing" specifications... maybe consider how your trailer might become a towing liability.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Many in our new neighborhood in southern Nevada have a garage for a RV, trailer or a boat.

Last week one neighbor was having several large sections of his concrete driveway to his RV garage jack hammered out. He has a boat the size of my trailer, if not longer. A boat on wheels. The arc of the grade was being lowered about 12 inches.

His tow vehicle was "jacked up" with oversized wheels and lifted leaf springs. This "improvement" of his tow vehicle created angles that caused his hitch to drag and boat trailer when driving off the street and up his driveway grade. Of course, it was the fault of the concrete contractor... not his.

So add to my observations: If you are going to "upgrade your suspension to Baja Desert Racing" specifications... maybe consider how your trailer might become a towing liability.
A lot of people who lift their trucks don't really off-road and have never heard of concepts like approach and departure angle.

So you see them with 4 and 6 inch lifts and huge tires. When about 80% of off roading can be accomplished with much less. Unless you are getting into serious rock crawling, which is another subject all together. And I don't think a lot of them understand how parts work with other parts. It's usually about looks over function.

Just a 2 inch lift and level and plus sized tires tackle almost everything we throw at the truck, and the impact to towing stability is minimal. I sit about as high as a 4wd 2500 or F250. But I have higher ground clearance because of the smaller frame rails on the 1500. I'm sort of hurting my break over with the side steps, but wife won't let me get rid of them.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Not just off grid camping…..

You are often dirt road traveling. I heard that in around 1980, there were still more dirt roads in this country, than there were paved roads ( could be BS )

Getting to many of my favorite campsites, was iffy for just a car. But most of the campsites were very flat. Big patches of loose sand was a major concern. We were advised to NOT stop or slow down on sandy spots. Getting towed out was expensive when you are hours away from a gas station. Jarring washboard and pot holes were also a concern
Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could give up on a trailer and get a slide in camper for a pickup. Moostags has a slide in camper and also pulls an Airstream behind that. When the road gets rough you can go just about anywhere with a 4x4 truck and a slide in camper. Use the trailer as a basecamp.

Perry