Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #71
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Originally Posted by draigue View Post
My FJ Cruise w/17 Sport goes anywhere I like. My "anywhere" though is different from a 20 yr olds anywhere
Had to laugh. Same for us the Wrangler pulls the '77' Minuet most places we want to go. I try not to put too much strain on the trailer frame by going through deep dips on back country roads. When we replaced the axle I had them mount it at a 45 degree down angle, that combined with just having a fresh axle with no sag got us about 6 inches more ground clearance.

Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
We sold a 17' single axle Casita when we purchased our two axle, 2011 FC23FB. The shorter, single axle with 15" wheels was certainly more maneuverable in tight spots, but then again we've parked the 23FB in some very tight and steep sites. Reversing course on a blocked backroad with minimal shoulder is probably my greatest concern with the 23, although my 08 Grand Cherokee Diesel never minds going off the road. I guess the steepest I've towed the 23 would be about 8% grade on gravel. For forest service roads, the shorter, higher clearance, lighter Casita had the advantage, but for our current travel mix of highway, gravel roads, and National / State parks, the 23FB is a great compromise. I like the two axle for ride, braking traction, and redundancy. In 8400 miles since purchase in April 2011, including some notable washboard like Chaco Canyon, and snow/ice through the high passes in Mt Ranier NP, I've only scraped the rear sliders once and our total damage has amounted to two screws falling out of the microwave bracket.

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
We tow our 20' Safari into many tight places in order to find secluded campsites. And yes, we have had to make a couple of long back-ups or tight turn-arounds when the road finally got too bad. But we have learned, we now carry our mountain bikes on the hard toneau cover of our Dodge Ram PU and if we are contemplating trying a road to find a campsite, we just unload the bikes and go for a ride. We can scout our a couple of miles of road in short order that way. Plus, it is a great break from sitting in the truck. Any of the smaller AS, either single or double axle will work fine for getting into more remote areas, just remember to go slow. We love getting ours into more secluded spots.

48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote