Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Argonaut Airstreaming

48 Bob- I am with you with the wheel and tire change. The last two years we have had fewer problems by getting away from the Goodyear 14 inch tires. If we suffer punctures through the tires off road by gravel... I am looking at 15 inch wheels and might even consider 16 inch and see what clearances I have to work with in the fender wells.

The 23 foot and smaller AS's should travel in the back country very well. Sometimes a dry creek bed requires some planning to cross without dragging the skids under the rear bumper. Our fresh water valve was broken off by gravel the first trip with the new AS. Jackson Center replaced the plastic valve and installed galvanized sheet metal to prevent future encounters on a gravel road and the plastic valve... and it WORKED! I always carry several small corks from Ace Hardware... just in case. The plumbing seems to move around, year after year, so it is tough to know where a newer or older model needs some protection. Sometimes leaving a gasoline station is as close to dragging your plumbing you will get. In tight situations off the grid, it helps to have a spotter watching the plumbing. I understand the plumbing needs to be in the low spot, but some day a solution should be found to resolve this common complaint.

As far as living space. I have seen people living in remote locations with less space than a 23 foot AS. If you do not have a lot of... stuff to be polite, the shelter is the important aspect. After a few days in our 23 footer, I can live without most of the modern conveniences that stuff our home. What a relief not to have to haul all this stuff around in the back country!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
One thing that I've experienced is that the trailer may be wider that the mirrors on the TV. I once went through an are where the mirrors on my TV, 2006 F250 PSD 4x4, fit fine but my 19' Bambi didn't. The trees won the encounter and ripped one of the awning attachments of the trailer. To think about it still makes me sick. Thank God for insurance.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Canton , Georgia
I've pulled my 17 Safari with my FJ into the Chattahoochie and Nantahala National forests many times this year. Most of the roads are excellent. A farm jack can be handy.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream Clearances... suck at first

As an update for the appropriate use of an Airstream, I had a few thoughts.

After a few mistakes in judgment, your clearance will improve with the plumbing removed. The interior will get improved with your visits to Home Depot for hardware upgrades...

For rough off the road travel, keep the AS under 25 feet. Your bumper does not drag as often upon its skids and it is narrower. A double axle is better than a single. For real back country camping, keep it under 25 feet and get a model where the trailer sits on top of the axles and springs...

The other trailers have better clearance, but you will need to fix everything above the axle after rattling through those Forest Service roads!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
west jordan , Utah
Every Sept. we take the 31 ft. A/S into the mountains of southern Montana in search of Sage Grouse. The dirt road in has a couple low spots, through creek beds, that play havoc with the rear bumper. To keep from dragging I carry two sets of heavy duty, plastic ramps (Auto Zone) and going very slowley, set these back to back, front to front, back to back, on both sides, raising the clearance intill we are out of the dip. Kind of a pain but it works. Blows peoples minds when they see that big, old A/S way up in there. The things we do for comfort.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Would love to see some remote Airstream pics...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Would love to see some remote Airstream pics...
This one is in the Huron National Forest about 10 miles in on dirt roads and 2 tracks East of Mio, Michigan. We go slow and have a rock tamer on back of truck. No one around and no light pollution so night sky is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0160.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	118797  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #50
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Camping on a friend's place - several miles of steep dirt road (4 low territory)... took a bit of work to level her too.... this was our first camping trip:

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
As an update for the appropriate use of an Airstream, I had a few thoughts.

For rough off the road travel, keep the AS under 25 feet. Your bumper does not drag as often upon its skids and it is narrower. A double axle is better than a single. For real back country camping, keep it under 25 feet and get a model where the trailer sits on top of the axles and springs...

The other trailers have better clearance, but you will need to fix everything above the axle after rattling through those Forest Service roads!
Have to disagree that a double axle is better than a single. Been rattling FS roads for three years now with no interior problems while friends with double axles need rehab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arizonas H.C..jpg
Views:	230
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	118800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Lake #1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	118801  

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Damn - I can not wait to get out and totally be "isolated".... Great Pics! Is it spring yet?
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #53
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
YouTube - "getcha airstream Un-Stuck"
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #54
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
We took our 25' Airstream about 2 miles down steep, gravely, potholed, unpaved dirt road to get to this meadow.

We were even towing her with a Ford Explorer -- I think that as long as you check out the terrain before hand (we parked and hiked in) and use your best judgement, you will be ok.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
We just traveled ~20 miles on a desert dust dirt road in our new 23FB and had to wipe dust off all surfaces. It looks to me like it comes up through the floor penetrations for the utilities and/or the wheel wells. Have any of you tried to seal all these penetrations? Having to spend an hour cleaning everything kind'of spoils the idyllic camping spot in the middle of nowhere..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20110402_192628.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	126223  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvoneicken View Post
We just traveled ~20 miles on a desert dust dirt road in our new 23FB and had to wipe dust off all surfaces. It looks to me like it comes up through the floor penetrations for the utilities and/or the wheel wells. Have any of you tried to seal all these penetrations? Having to spend an hour cleaning everything kind'of spoils the idyllic camping spot in the middle of nowhere..
Our 22' Safari came from the factory with all belly penetrations sealed with what appears to be an expanded foam sealant. We routinely do dirt roads with very little interior dust penetration. The most was around the door channel which must flex. I added thicker weather stripping which seems to alleviate the intrusion.