Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking

Old 06-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Wamego , Kansas
Northeast New Mexico Boondocking/Flyfishing

Some years ago (pre-Airstream) Mrs. B and I along with Little B #1 returned from a family reunion in Albuquerque via Taos, up to Eagle Nest and into Raton on US-64. I thought at the time that the Cimmaron River along the route looked very likely for both camping and fishing.

Now that we have the Overlander I'd like to give it a go. Anyone with experience and opinions for either or both in the area?

"Ignorance I can deal with. Stupidity is a different matter."
Mark B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
The Cimarron River is pretty darned good for fishing; people stay in the surrounding Cimarron Canyon State Park. There are a couple of campgrounds there.

Just to the north in the Valle Vidal. It's a fairly primitive area with a gravel road passing through. Fishing is excellent. Folks pull in RVs to camp.

North northwest of Taos is the BLM Wild Rivers Rec Area with campground, where the gorge carved by the Red River meets the Rio Grande gorge. You have to hike down to the river. Again excellent fishing, but the hike is a good one.

Finally, some folks stay below Taos at the BLM Orilla Verde Rec Area just outside of Pilar. Runs ride beside the Rio Grande. Again, campground is available. The fishing is ok, I've heard.

Finally, if you into lake fishing, do Eagle Nest Lake State Park. I think your rig will fit in there ok.

For the two state parks, I'd recommend reserving if you can. It's popular season.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Wamego , Kansas
Thanks, Lynn! I was hoping to hear from you especially for the local dope. I doubt we make it out there yet this year but Mrs. B sure has mentioned it a lot lately, particularly since we just got back from Keystone (sans Groovin', unfortunately).

"Ignorance I can deal with. Stupidity is a different matter."
Mark B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Some other options are: 1) Sugarite State Park just northeast of Raton with camping and lake fishing, 2) the Red River area, with USFS and private campgrounds, stream fishing on the Red River, and high mountain lake fishing (Goose Lake & Middle Fork Lake) accessible by 4WD vehicles or hiking , 3) the Red River below the Red River Fish Hatchery can also be very good at times. Northern New Mexico is a great place to vacation. Have a great time.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote