Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
North Rim Grand Canyon Rockdocking- FREE

DeLorme Arizona Atlas, Page 23, 4/5, A: 36 degrees 25.64 N and 112 degrees 24.21 W at 7472 feet elevation- Crazy Jug Point (Pick up a Kaibab National Forest map for $10.00 for large scale and locating roads.)

Jacob Lake, AZ, which is a gas station and restaurant, is my point 0.0 on the odometer. Next door is the Kaibab National Forest Ranger Station where a large folded map can be purchased. Jacob Lake is located at the intersection of Highways 67 and Alt.89. You will leave Jacob Lake to the south and in less than a half mile, the second right turn, is FR461. You will know you are on the right road as within a mile you will find a RV park to your south.

At 5.8 miles turn onto FR462. At 20.5 turn onto FR425. After being on FR425 at about 32.0 miles on your odometer, you will encounter three turns: FR292, FR292A and FR292B. Take FR292B (it is the straight ahead option). The turn to the Northwest takes you to the Thunder River trailhead about two miles. There is a parking lot that does not allow camping, but you can park if you have filled out the GCNP permit for overnight hiking into the Park. Check with the Kaibab National Forest Ranger Station for details. You will be at the campsite with 32.3 miles on the trip odometer.

As you enter this KNForest camping area, there is a primitive turnaround. You will see to your left along the canyon rim an area large enough for our 23 foot AS and there is room for up to 28 feet with tow vehicle attached. I turned the tow vehicle and 23 foot trailer easily, backed within 40 feet of the Grand Canyon rim, set the emergency brake, maybe needed an inch or two side to side leveling blocks and spent three beautiful days at the site.

This is a Rockdocking site. No facilities. When you back into this south rim spot, you will have junipers shading you as you exit your AS door. Any winds are also shielded by the junipers. There is room for two trailers and several tents set back into the woods. There is a trail that is about 100 yards long where we sat in our lawn chairs and viewed a 180 degree canyon view. If you look carefully to the south when the sun is high, you can get a glimpse of the Colorado River gleaming at the bottom some thousands of feet below. You can also hike the Forest Road to the trail head, or drive it in your vehicle. A small trailer could be turned around there, but not recommended. It is about two miles from Crazy Jug Point to the northwest.

The FR roads are all season gravel that can be travelled at 10mph to 25mph. Nothing I would call "white knuckle" but from a Rockdocking scale of RD 0 (zero- Highway 67) and impossible (RD10), this is a RD3.5. The family will find some of the narrow roads... interesting, but just look ahead for the dust of any oncoming vehicle.

There are several wooded campsites on the way to the Grand Canyon (Bill Hall) trailhead, on your right (north) that a 25 foot trailer can turnaround and a smaller trailer campsite on the rim. Longer trailers on the northern campsite if you have help watching for backing in and turnarounds.

There is NO FEE to camp here at Crazy Jug Point. Carry out your trash and drop it off at the Chevron station at Jacob Lake. The food at the restaurant is excellent and priced below what was expected. Gasoline was $3.95 for regular unleaded on May 18th.

A word to the wise Rockdocker:

I noticed that people were looking for a campsite after 5PM. Get to this spot early as the early bird gets this prime Grand Canyon camping spot in the National Forest. The rim is where the National Park takes control, so by staying on the rim, you have no problem with the National Park Service and permits.

When I transfer my digital photographs onto my computer, if someone finds this Rockdocking campsite of interest, I will try to get a photograph or two of this location. You WILL NOT be disappointed. You are only 32.3 miles from civilization, but you would think, from the viewing vantage of the canyon, this is all yours!!! There are other routes to Crazy Jug Point from Highway 67, some appear to be shorter. I had no prior help to find this camping location, so took the longer route in and out. Sometimes the short cuts are not short nor pleasant...

Happy Rockdocking. Or Boondock at the RV Park just off Highway 67 near Jacob Lake and drive the tow vehicle to Crazy Jug Point.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We have visited, but never camped at Crazy Jug Point. It has one of the most spectacular views of the Grand Canyon.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
sounds perfect! I cant wait for pics

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Please post pictures!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Grand Canyon Rockdocking Photographs

These photographs are from the Rockdocking campsite. The trail leads you to the rim to the south. All of the views are from this location and the parking area is large enough for trailer and tow vehicle. The length of trailer with tow vehicle attached that will fit at this location is the ability of an individual to turn around and back into this spot. A 23 foot AS took no effort...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0097.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	61306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0098.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	61307  

Name:	DSCN0103.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	61308   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0106.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	61309  

Name:	DSCN0111.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	61310   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0112.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	61311  

Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Um, I want to see photos ... but don't see link to them, etc. Did I goof?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Grand Canyon- Crazy Jug Point Rockdocking

One photo is the view from your front door facing East. The other is the turn around area to the West. You would probably want to check which "techniques" to turn your AS and tow vehicle around as you come into the camp site. To the North of the parking area are several spots for tents if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0099.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	61313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0102.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	61314  

Old 05-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
OOOOH must .. go .. there .. must .. go .. there.

Terrific. Sorry about previous post - guess the photos just hadn't uploaded yet. What a wonderful site. I'm ready to hitch up and go!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Thanks Ray! that is exactly what I need for taking mom to see the canyon this summer.

and the
My Blog

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Thanks Ray! We're gonna do it.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kelly , Wyoming
Ray - You da man! Watch your back trial for a Dodge PU with Wyoming tags. I'm gona tie my lead rope to your bumper!

Thanks so much!!

Bob
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
I used this very spot this summer. Mom and her husband Charlie are still going on about it. It was a highlight to their trip. Thanks for the tip! Here is one from there. The only bad thing about this spot is the roads there are long and really rough in places. I expect I will be back there some day.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1975 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , California
Ready to head off to Arizona and Utah again this spring and realized that we had not thanked or responded to the great ideas expressed in this thread.
We followed the GPS information and had a great three days at Crazy Jug Point. The main road to the usual North Rim was not opened for the spring and we took the forest service roads and encountered no problems. There was some snow on the forest grounds as we approached but it had not rained or snowed for 5 days before our arrival. We used the Kanab Forest Topo map and our GPS to find our way.
Except for the two friends we took with us we had no fellow campers. Wondrous solitude while camping, as the photo shows, right on the rim to the Grand Canyon. Not for streamers that sleepwalk.
Sunrise coffee and evening cocktails on the point easily became a glorious ritual. Great hiking opportunities nearby.
Thanks again,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2390.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	100764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2415_edited.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	100765  

Old 04-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..OK, I'm sure my jaw will be coming off the floor sometime soon...

thanks, Ray, another spot added to my "dream" list in the West..

fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote