Old 09-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote by Danetree - "I'm always treated very well. I try to be a traveler and not a tourist."

School me! What is the difference between a traveler and a tourist?

crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
how about these threads?

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
1973 28' Argosy 28
Los Barriles , Baja California Sur
Classic Airsteams Everywhere

In 2001, I hauled my 28 ft, 1972 Argosy behind a 1986 Chevrolet Caprice sedan from Hamilton Ontario Canada to Cabo San Lucas, in Baja Sur, Mexico. Even though it was right after Hurricane Juliet, I had no problems whatever, other than my terrible navigation skills. How can you get lost with only one highway down here? Try driving through La Paz or Cabo San Lucas.

I have lived down here in Paradise ever since. Five years ago I moved to Los Barriles on the East Cape.

Baja is an Elephant Graveyard of Classic Airstreams. They are just everywhere down here. Covered in dust and mostly neglected. A few house Mexicanos.

I have been meaning to take photos of them for years, but with the heat and lifestyle, just havenít gotten to it. I have attached last Christmas wreath shot of my location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07ChristmasWreath.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	66889  
JohnBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Originally Posted by mike dean View Post
We have sailed in Mexico many times. Now looking for a good camp ground on the mainland side. any ideas...mike dean
Us too. Kept a 28' Clipper, ketch rigged, in San Carlos. Most of our camping was boondocking and the campgrounds we did stay at no longer exist.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
We towed our 1992 Excella to La Paz about 4 years ago and down to Punta Perula south of Puerto Vallarta this year (2009). This year's trip was 6,500 miles round trip and we stayed only on the West Coast. We moved about every 5-8 days and consider the trip as "exploratory" since we were looking for places to stay extended periods of time. The roads on the West Coast are quite a bit better than the road to La Paz on Baja. However, we had absolutely no problems on either trip and are planning another on the mainland for 2010.

Airstreams handle topes well if you go slow enough. I know of one large class A MH which hit one at 60 mph in the dark and did quite a bit of damage.

Good camping at Teacupan south of Mazatlan. ONAC campground is about 16 km north of the village. Wonderful beach.

cantrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1975 29' Ambassador
denman is , b.c.
Thanks for the info. We were headed for Mex. last fall but got a six week flu (not the pig kind) , six weeks for me and just as I was getting over it, hubby got it. After our three months of moaning and groaning, we decided to stay in Arizona. We are going to try for Mex. again next fall. We have been down to Baja a number of times and once to San Carlos,but this will be our first trip further down the mainland.
(Sounds like you're Canadians as well...? )
kooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
I've been wanting to get down to Baja -- that was one of my big Airstream Dreams when I bought my Bambi, but I do worry about the roads. Where's a good place to go for a less experienced tower with decent roads?
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Try San Carlos Sonora on the mainland side. It is 260 miles from Nogales, Arizona. The roads are excellent for Mexico, four lane all the way. A lot of people who come in contact with tourists, speak English.
It is in the so called "no hassle zone" meaning no car or trailer permit is necessary.
There are two campgrounds in San Carlos that are among the best in Mexico. Reservations are rarely necessary.
There is boating and fishing on the Sea of Cortez and lots of open desert for walking biking, ect.
We passed through a couple of times in various r.v.'s and ended up buying a house and staying.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Las Vegas , Nevada
[quote=Baja Bound;238451] one has written to say that they have damaged their black water tank on the topes. Some of them are really huge! (the topes, I mean)

We've visited Mexico as pedestrian's only, so.......What is a tope?
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #24
Wagon Master
Originally Posted by Baja Bound View Post one has written to say that they have damaged their black water tank on the topes. Some of them are really huge! (the topes, I mean)

We've visited Mexico as pedestrian's only, so.......What is a tope?

A tope is a mexican speed bump. Usally at the each end of town. You get to know the sign very well. If you go slow over them there is no reason why you would do any dammage. I have yet to the hitch, jack, or any part of the trailer hit one. I have seen lots of damage on spring ride trailers mostly fifthwleels (broken springs/cracked frames). Torsion bars are the only way to go. I find the toll roads in better shape than the TransCanada, and better than alot of the Interstates.....well mabey not around DC but way better than LA.
Igor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Having traveled for years to Mexico, and Baja California in particular, We've encountered more that our share of Mexican 'topes' (speed bumps)...

Here's a little ditty I wrote on this subject a while back...

Lions and tigers and cows, oh boy! by, Ray Cellar 2000

It's hard at night to see them on the trail,
Our headlights are dim and beginning to fail.

I react from 'Go' to 'Whoa' in the darkness ahead,
A creature appears while I yell, "we're dead!"

The screeching begins, the fumes fill the air,
The smoke drifts away, I think we are there!

We have bumped to a halt with a clank and a jog,
The ice chest's now in front, along with the dog!

As we gather our wits and take a quick breath,
We count all our fingers and again cheated death!

We look through the glass and strain all four eyes,
The 'Creature' has gone - it's said it's good-byes.

We look to the left, we look to the right,
We look all around, we look in plain sight.

Where did it come from, where did it go?
It must be beneath us, it has to, I know.

Then I spy it nearby, it's colored off-white,
Makes it more visible in the dark of the night.

Laid there by strangers, with a hearty 'OK',
We've just been 'attacked' by a G.. damn TOPE!

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote