Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Marc,

Jack on the axle plate....I used the same location on our single axle Safari.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07759.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	158151  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
My Bambi came with ambiguous arrow stickers on the sides at the back that said "jack point". I figured out that the jack point they were indicating was identified by a little aluminum plate that was riveted to a chassis point. I used those once, but that point was so far back that you had to jack it way up to unload the axle and get the wheel off the ground. So, I use the axle plate now, like Bob Cross has recommended.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Why would you have put a jack under the trailer? The only people I have ever seen jack up an AS trailer have been factory service at Jackson Center. Everyone else drives one wheel up on a long chock so that the other wheel is off the ground. Just about all AS come with BAL stabilizers, thus no jack is necessary.
Not when you have a single axle.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
PRESCOTT , Arizona
Newbie with Clearance Problems

Thanks everyone,
I made an appointment with Oasis RV in Phoenix since two of you recommended them and they advertise Airstreams. I was going to get a CBC?? which is an inspection for everything but everything seems to be working so I don't think it would be worth it for a 2008 Safari Sport 17' I will ask them to give me an opinion on the tank.
I appreciate the info on where to place the jack especially the photo by Bob Cross. As soon as I get a handle on how to operate everything on the trailer and keep it going, I'm gonna learn how to upload photos for the forums. Thanks again to all. Terry R, I'll see you in Santa Fe! Marc
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
The A/S moron has a question

Here's the question everyone else already knows the answer to...

Why can't the OP pull his single axle trailer up onto blocks on one side to get clearance under the trailer?

marc,

We take our trailer down dirt roads and across the desert on almost every trip. It does fine as long as I go slow.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Why do some people that have a trailer with two or more axels thank that all trailers do? In every thread that is simular to this someone all ways says to just drive it up on a block thus no jack is needed. What works for some does not always work for everyone.
A$$ you me-ing again; or, just speeding a reply and not reading the information in the OP. We have moved back to a single axle AS and do not regret it even a little.

One suggestion to offer regarding jacking is to put wood or some other slightly compliant material between the jack head and the jack point. Remember your science / physics class and assure that the jacking piston is perpendicular to the jacking point to exert true vertical movement; otherwise you are asking for a surprise.(Unless you have a nifty floor jack on a hard surface which will usually self-correct) Metal on metal is more likely to slide... as well as it erodes/scrapes paint / undercoat / rust-proofing. Just make certain that you are not relying on the front trailer jack to immobilize the AS. We chock in front of and behind the opposite wheel +++ and block up the front "A" frame before any jacking operation. To ease the scenario, we first use a hydraulic jack to elevate slightly higher than we want for level and then easily adjust a screw jack into position before releasing pressure on the hydraulic.

No problems with clearance on our 20 FC around here on Montana back roads and logging access ... it sounds like the OP may have hit something and torn loose the lower covering ... if the tank is intact, a pop-rivet repair with new AL skin over the existing tear might save some $$$.

Marc - let us know how this worked out for you ...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A$$ you me-ing again; or, just speeding a reply and not reading the information in the OP. We have moved back to a single axle AS and do not regret it even a little.

I was inspired by the first post after the OP suggesting that they drive up on boards to lift the bad tire on a single axle trailer. They are the ones that did not read the post or notice the trailer infomation of the OP. If this was not you, then no I was not meaning you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
I was responding to your posted question that why do some folks [just assume or] think that all trailers have two or more axels ... just as they do ... a$$uming ... great read, however.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sorry, I missed your play on words. I thought you were using some sort of texting shorthand or something.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote