Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Newbie Back

i am buying sight unseen, I will be mostly boondocking, I purchased a 2006 Bambi 19' Anniversary, do the big windows open? I won't be around shore power at all. File under silly questions, but important, as as for the blue toilet tank stuff, my old tank was 40 gal. And I added a full small bottle, do I now use just 1/2 small bottle? Thank you.
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
They make toilet tank stuff as orange pellets now. Much easier than liquid. I think the ones I buy are Thetford brand, but can't remember for sure. Much more convenient than liquid.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
SBB, most of those system additives will tell you on the bottle how much to add. I don't usually add anything to mine and have no problems. I've never been real clear on what use they are. If it's for odor control I haven't had any. If it's solid digestion it might be a good idea. I'm not sure if I should be using something and creating a problem down the road by not using it or ?????

I lay awake at night pondering these thoughts.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Alpine , California
I consider adding something to digest the waste and paper as good insurance for reliable emptying rather than odor control. I very much prefer the drop in pouches to liquid or powder.

Roy
HighwayRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I use the drop in pouches also, but prefer the blue ones to the green....they seem to control odor better. And if it happens to be many days before we can dump the tank, since it's so large in our trailer, (39 gallons) sometimes I'll use two.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I use a product called "Unique" which is sold at Ace Hardware. It was recommended to me by the "RV Proctologist", who cleaned the waste tank on the Land Yacht motorhome I previously had when I was in Quartzsite. This stuff is just enzymes which digest the waste and all paper.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
I agree with the RV Proctologist and the ACE product is better for the down stream (septic field/city sanitation treatment plants.
My AS came with a full box of the powdered "blue stuff" (on label says its a known carcinogen in the State of California, fortunately I'm in WA .....whew!). I'd pour it down the "bog" with my nose outside the bathroom it smelled so toxic!!
Any thing with formaldehyde is bad.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Del, remind me to stay upstream from your campsite.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
i am buying sight unseen, I will be mostly boondocking, I purchased a 2006 Bambi 19' Anniversary, do the big windows open? I won't be around shore power at all. File under silly questions, but important, as as for the blue toilet tank stuff, my old tank was 40 gal. And I added a full small bottle, do I now use just 1/2 small bottle? Thank you.
The center part of the panoramic window and the bedroom window open...

The rear window opens but because it's also the escape hatch and one side of the wide butts up against the shower wall, there are no arm-props to hold it open. When we want to increase air flow using the rear window we prop it open from the outside with a 4-5 inch stick ...one end on the edge of the window and one the the latch arm (the part that goes into the slotted bracket to latch it closed)...then if we want to close the window from the inside in the middle of the night for instance, we can just move the latch arm and the glass will fall closed...don't forget to latch it before traveling...and don't prop it open too far because if it falls shut too far it could break.

The small oval windows above the galley sink and in the bathroom do not open.

We use the drop-in packets... You can experiment to find which brand you like best. We like Odor-Loss best so far. We use one packet routinely and if it's really warm outside and we're out dry camping for more than 4 days, we sometimes will add a 2nd. About every 3rd trip or so we also put 1/2 a drop-in down the kitchen sink and down the vanity sink to help freshen the p-traps and grey tank.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote