Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Seems our pipe dream of joining you in July will not come to fruition. Daughter, son in law and grands will be moving in with us for a couple of months while their new house gets finished. That is the weekend they're moving in and although we'd like to bow out on helping them move in July well do the right thing instead. ;o) ;o(

Always next time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Ray,
The trip sounds great. I wanted to participate but this year June and July won't work for me anymore. Do you have a fall trip planned?
Thanks for doing this. Sounds like everyone is going to have a great time.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Seems our pipe dream of joining you in July will not come to fruition. Daughter, son in law and grands will be moving in with us for a couple of months while their new house gets finished. That is the weekend they're moving in and although we'd like to bow out on helping them move in July well do the right thing instead. ;o) ;o(

Always next time.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Millner View Post
Ray,
The trip sounds great. I wanted to participate but this year June and July won't work for me anymore. Do you have a fall trip planned?
Thanks for doing this. Sounds like everyone is going to have a great time.
If you back up some in this thread, Ray is looking to a similar trip in a different location next year.

I believe there is a thread started, too. I'll try to find it.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...-s-135148.html

Maggie
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
This sounds like a interesting trip and we could learn a ton about boonie camping from Ray, but what about this rock pickin' deal? My wife first comment was "we don't want to come back with a bucket full of rocks". What do you do with the ones you are collecting and is it legal to be taking stuff from Federal lands? I know the National Parks have very strict rules about this, don't know about National Forests. I'm sure just the experience of this trip would be fun.
That is if you allow a "non Airstreamer" to join your group. We followed this forum for a couple of years and tracked used Airstream prices for about 2 years, but them discovered the Oliver fiberglass trailers and went in that direction. Only made one trip with it, and that was to the Grand Canyon in April, and down to Cottonwood, AZ for a birding event.
Now I guess we need to learn about "rockin' in the desert".

Stan
Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA640316 View Post
This sounds like a interesting trip and we could learn a ton about boonie camping from Ray, but what about this rock pickin' deal? My wife first comment was "we don't want to come back with a bucket full of rocks". What do you do with the ones you are collecting and is it legal to be taking stuff from Federal lands? I know the National Parks have very strict rules about this, don't know about National Forests. I'm sure just the experience of this trip would be fun.
That is if you allow a "non Airstreamer" to join your group. We followed this forum for a couple of years and tracked used Airstream prices for about 2 years, but them discovered the Oliver fiberglass trailers and went in that direction. Only made one trip with it, and that was to the Grand Canyon in April, and down to Cottonwood, AZ for a birding event.
Stan
Stan,
As far as legality, this is directly from the Forest Service:

"Limited collection of rocks and minerals, petrified wood and common invertebrate or plant fossils for personal use is allowed on most National Forest System lands. These materials may be collected without a permit provided the collecting is for personal, hobby, and noncommercial use."

I'm planning on going on this trip because it will allow us to explore a different part of the country with someone knowledgeable in the area. I do have a minor interest in geology, and the wife likes to make jewelry with interesting rocks. I tend to need an excuse to go somewhere, i.e.; a goal. This rock picking exercise provides that for me. It sounds like fun. If youíre not interested in the rocks, come along and enjoy the trip doing whatever you like.

I'm sure Ray wouldn't object to non-Airstreamers coming along. In the thread he discusses tent campers and backpackers, so I bet an Oliver would be more than welcome. Besides, I'd really like to see your Oliver. They look like great trailers.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am not so much interested in rocks, but am interested in the special rocks that Ray says can be found in this place.

There is a rock bed in front of my house that has rocks picked up from all over the country, also seashells, added to the purchased river rock this bed was started with.

I won't bring back a bucketful, but look to bring back a few.

I am interested in wilderness rockdocking with fellow travelers, learning what knowledge and wisdom Ray and his wife have to impart, and seeing ancient Indian ruins.....those that are behind a fence, but more importantly, those that are not.

Maggie
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Forest Maps

Ordered a new forest map from Silver City. It came in today's mail. It is a vast improvement over the 1974 version that I had in the archives. The roads are much improved.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I have Rocks in my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA640316 View Post

Stan

Give Maggie the information she is asking and we all will look forward to finding you in Quemado, NM, July 13th.

The hunting "rocks" is intended to give some a purpose, myself in particular. This form of agate weather out of the decomposed volcanic rhyolites. Each time it rains, more are exposed at the surface from the decomposed volcanic rocks just a little bit.

These "curiosities" had been formed 35,000,000 years ago and weathering out since that time. This is what Yellowstone Park could become in a similar amount of time. There could be thousand's of feet of similar rhyolite volcanics below your feet that will eventually weather out providing an unlimited supply of these unusual stones over geologic history, which is a long, long time.

Participants need no purpose other than being out in raw back country that has the qualities of a remote location with unlimited hiking, biking or just laying back breathing the fresh air. This is a real opportunity for "first timers" to get an idea that being off the grid is not to be avoided, but cherish the opportunities still existing in the Western USA.

Check the websites for the Gila National Forest, Gila Wilderness, Gila Cliff Dwellings, Aldo Leopold Wilderness area and the Apache National Forest. If you come this far, Carlsbad Caverns is a trip of a lifetime, Roswell, NM is an interesting town with the UFO nostalgia, Fort Sumner and Billie the Kid, etc.

New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming and Idaho are wide open to those who can handle Rockdocking, off the grid exploring. All you need are some accurate maps and find a place on that map to explore.

(Grand Canyon... Crazy Jug Point on the north rim and you can camp in the National Forest. Some threads on this under Boondocking.)

Tonganoxie, Kansas has some decent limestone quarries near town. Been there a few times.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
SNOW LAKE just north of the Gila Wilderness...

For those who are beginning this experience and want to finish with a bit of independent exploring... Snow Lake, just north of the Gila Wilderness and still within the Gila National Forest.

If you took my advice and have the Gila National Forest map that can be purchased from the Forest Service (mine is a 1997 edition), Snow Lake is located between F/G and 8/9. Find the lake, that is Snow Lake. The only lake in that area. There is easy access camping area on the east side of the main road, north of Snow Lake. Good for a number of trailers. Make sure you top off your fuel tank in Reserve before going. You might detach the trailer and drive around to find other camping spots. Mark them on your map and visit some time in the future.

There are Apache Tear obsidian to be found in the creek bed to the east and walk up the dry stream bed and find more on the hillsides where there is erosion within the jeep trail.

Snow Lake is full of... carp. On the north end you can walk to and once disturbed the carp make that swampy area come alive with very large carp. More for the experience, but odd finding them in this remote lake.

So those who want a diversion from the first part of the trip can wander off to Snow Lake and beyond on your own.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you want to attend, please pm me your:

Name
Cell #
Email address
Length of rig
If you prefer sun or shade

I am saving these in a Pages document on my IPad, which will go to Ray at the appoionted time and then be deleted.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Side Trips in Region from Quemado, NM

Chaco Culture National Historic Park near Nageezi, NM. Next to Mesa Verde, Chaco is a remarkable area to visit. It is a bit remote, so fewer people. At times you could be the only people walking through some ruins away from the main road. The washboard road from the north is a bit easier than the access from the south.

Meteor Crater, west of Winslow, AZ is worth a "paid" visit. To really see the crater, you must pay to get access.

Boulder Dam, outside of Lake Meade Recreation area, Boulder City, Nevada for camping. You have access to Boulder Dam and Las Vegas. For Senior Park Pass holders, camping at Lake Meade is $5 without electricity, but nice facilities. Great view of Lake Meade, which is down 150 feet or so. A wonderful Boondocking with restrooms, water and dump site for your trailer.

Bandelier National Monument to the west of Santa Fe, NM is also excellent for the access to the ruins and minimal crowds. There is at least one RV Park to the east of Santa Fe on the north side of I-40 that is not too bad. Cannot recall the name, but three miles or more east of the exit into Santa Fe and the square.

Canyon de Chelly east of Chinle, AZ... do not waste your time. Nice RV Park in the trees, but access to the ruins, which are few and meager, are not like Chaco or Bandelier. Will never go there again.

These are some areas that are in the region. We will be working our way to Boulder Dam and Lake Meade Recreation Area and Las Vegas from Quemado, NM.

I want to shoot some Craps in Las Vegas and take in some Buffets and Shows with time permitting. New Mexico, Arizona and Utah offer a multitude of things to do and see. It will take a few years to visit the top parks and monuments, but the optional Boondocking localities are unlimited, as you will soon discover.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Photographs of Camping Area

These are some random photographs I found on my computer of the camp site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3009.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	594.0 KB
ID:	239028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3012.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	239029  

Name:	DSCN3025.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	239030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3508.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	239031  

Old 05-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Chalcedony as you will find them in the woods

This is a larger than average chalcedony rosette as you can find them loose in the woods. This happened to be under a pine tree with needles covering it while laying on the surface. It was beautiful, waxy surface and a typical shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3015.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	239032