Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Oh Ray

When I Pm'd you about about dates I was jokingly going to ask " in 20 words or less what are the dates ".

I am reading the posts but you do meander a bit.

Okay got the arrival date/meet up date, July 13. When will you be staying through please.

Thx
He does meander a bit....part of his charm.

Maggie
Old 05-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Trailer Parking Plan at one or both Camp Sites

It is important to understand that, depending on the number of Rockdockers, a camp site needs to be organized to fit as many trailers within comfort.

They also have to be arranged so that if someone wants to leave... they can hook up and drive out without everyone needing to move their parked trailer. Sounds simple and common sense doesn't it. Well... it is not. Ask General Patton at the Battle of the Bulge and the massive traffic jams.

I will try to accommodate as many at the main site as possible. I have no clue exactly how many will actually arrive. Once we leave Quemado, we will now have a number. Makes me feel like some kind of tour guide, but I have to keep it organized up to this point. After everyone is set up, detached and feeling comfortable, it will be getting around late afternoon.

Interstates are the most mobile. They will actually be the first to be parked.

Trailers in the 16 foot to 23 foot, next. Then the 25's. Then anything longer than 25' will be most likely dropped along side the two rut turn by backing into the spot. There is one access into the camp site. It is NOT a drive through. So each trailer will have to come in, turn around and be facing OUT, towards the entry road.

This is the... "plan". The turning the trailer and tow vehicle around will let anyone leave when they are ready.

The FIRST camp site will be shown to everyone. It is off the main road. Shorter trailers and Interstates will find it the easiest to access. Over 20 feet... it might be a problem for clearing the plumbing. We did it in our 23 footer in 2006, but when the main road is "improved" it changes access to side roads.

Bring a shovel. Bring leveling blocks to level your trailer and for driving over them while turning off the main road so we can get you plumbing to clear.

It takes more time to explain that it will once we get going. Everyone will be watching you, and how you did. There is no hurry. There will be plenty of help, and I am afraid maybe a lot of advice to go with it. But you will learn by doing and teaching the next trailer coming in.

This is why I have to make a June 15th trip. A couple of days figuring out the options and we will be on our way.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Does anyone have an objection if I post an updated list periodically, of who will be there on which date?

Maggie
Old 05-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
RV Park: Apache RV Park

If you google "Trailer Park Reserve New Mexico" there is another option for the longer than 25 foot trailers.

Located 9 miles from Reserve, NM on Highway 12 at Mile Marker 16 toward Apache Creek.
575-533-6166

I have seen it when stopping for groceries or gasoline in Reserve, NM. It is on the north side of the road.

If you look at the map, Apache Creek intersects with Highway 32 going to Quemado.

So you do have another option for a campsite. It appeared to have 40 or more sites. We never stopped, so you can call and find out the details if you decide this is safer.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quemado, NM July 13th, Leaving at 2:30PM

I think I have covered about everything you might want to know.

Once I know how many and trailer lengths, some thought can be given as to how to fit everyone comfortably in the space available.

My theory on something of this nature is to offer all of the information up front. This is not a parking lot in town, or an established RV site. That would be easy.

Please post any further questions and we should be tying this up.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:50 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

We're not going to really be rally-style, are we, Ray? As in potlucks?

Maggie

Apparently not.

Ray's thinking...."read the posts, Maggie .....did I say anything about a rally or potlucks?".

This gathering will be about remote camping in the wilderness, rocks, and the ancients.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
NEW MEXICO ROCKDOCKING 2015

June 15th Pre-Planning

Ray Eklund
Photobum?

July 13th

Ray Eklund
Thalweg
Prickly Pear/pienjim
unifreck
traveluminum
Lily&Me

Those who have not yet, please pm me with name, cell#, email address and length of rig.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Maggie------Thank you for taking on this responsibility, co-ordinating all the information for this exciting trip, and allowing the Eklunds to just plan all the DETAILS. After reading your posts for the past months it will be a joy to meet a very positive lady. I think you and my wife (Jan, also very positive), will get along wonderfully.

Jan and Ed Westberg
2016 calle de los Alamos
San Clemente, California
Home. 949-492-0771
Jan's cellphone 949-697-8686
Ed's cellphone 949-697-8687
Jan's email. itsjans@cox.net
Ed's email unifreck@cox.net

22 foot INTERSTATE. 2005 vintage
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, and looking forward to meeting everyone.

I am a bit OCD'ish in the organizing and planning department....Doug would say "you're a lot OCD" .....so this is a piece of cake for me.

Those of you who have given two emails, I am only saving one so that it is easy for Ray to be consistent where he sends information.

I am saving both cell #s.

Going to be a great time. I have emailed my rockhound friend in northern MN, who will be so very jealous. I would encourage them to come, but they have no equipment and are both working part-time in retirement.....in order to pay for health insurance.

Ray does encourage those with trailers greater than 25' not to take this trip on.....some of Y'all are greater than 25', so be forewarned you may have to do some maneuvering.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
NEW MEXICO ROCKDOCKING 2015

June 15th Pre-Planning

Ray Eklund
Photobum?

July 13th

Ray Eklund
Thalweg
Prickly Pear/pienjim
unifreck
traveluminum
Lily&Me
ramblingirl
Old 05-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #91
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Hi Ray,
We are interested in the Rockdocking in SW New Mexico in July. We have a 27 Eddie Bauer and a 4X4 tow vehicle. Will we be able to go where you are thinking of camping in this set-up? I hope so. Please let us know what you think?
Thanks for putting this trip together! It sounds like a great adventure!
Laura & Tony
ramblin girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
27 Feet probably 28 feet by measuring hitch to bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin girl View Post
Hi Ray,
We are interested in the Rockdocking in SW New Mexico in July. We have a 27 Eddie Bauer and a 4X4 tow vehicle. Will we be able to go where you are thinking of camping in this set-up? I hope so. Please let us know what you think?
Thanks for putting this trip together! It sounds like a great adventure!
Laura & Tony

Silver City... how lucky for you. A wonderful part of New Mexico.

I will be checking out the area June 15th. My 25 foot can get off the main road without any extra work trying to clear the plumbing, which is behind my axles. A bit more cautious with that arrangement.

Is your plumbing in front or behind the axles? If in front... you will only have the rear bumper skids to consider. I will let Maggie know and post what I find out and any options that will work for your trailer.

Love to have you on board.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ray suggests that anyone who wants to participate in this, but has a prohibitively long trailer, settle themselves into one of the many campgrounds in the Gila and then meet us before 2:30 pm on the 13th, to proceed to his selected sites.

The Ranger Station can probably tell you which campgrounds can best accommodate longer trailers. I know the AllStays app is also pretty accurate with this info.

Or.....bring your tent, rent a pop-up, etc., and join us, sans trailer.

Just be sure to pm me contact info, so Ray has an accurate list of who is coming.....as he will head us out once all he knows of have arrived.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #94
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Silver City , New Mexico
Hi Ray,
Thanks for welcoming us! Yes it is called a 27 but actually measures at 28 feet. Our plumbing is just in front of the axles and since it is an Eddie Bauer it has 16" wheels and about another inch or so of ground clearance. Also the axles are set further back by about 6 inches than other 27' models so this might make enough difference. We should be able to go where most trailers can but our turning radius may be a bit larger as we have a large pickup too.
We used to live just east of you in Elizabeth, Co for about fourteen years but got tired of the snow in the winter. Silver City has milder winters and not too hot in the summer.
We're looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group and again thanks for offering to share this special place with us.

Laura & Tony
ramblin girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we can't do this gathering cause we'll be on the way to Alaska, but hope to try it out in the Fall. . . .thanks for all the info & safe travels, Craig
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Over 25 feet present one problem... turning around.

Quote:
Hi Ray,
Thanks for welcoming us! Yes it is called a 27 but actually measures at 28 feet. Our plumbing is just in front of the axles and since it is an Eddie Bauer it has 16" wheels and about another inch or so of ground clearance. Also the axles are set further back by about 6 inches than other 27' models so this might make enough difference. We should be able to go where most trailers can but our turning radius may be a bit larger as we have a large pickup too.
We used to live just east of you in Elizabeth, Co for about fourteen years but got tired of the snow in the winter. Silver City has milder winters and not too hot in the summer.
We're looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group and again thanks for offering to share this special place with us.

Laura & Tony
I have to believe that you could make the turn off the main road without any difficulty. That extra half inch is more than I have on my trailer and your plumbing in front of the axles only leaves the rear bumper to consider next while going down slope.

The "potential" problem is turning the trailer around to EXIT the camp site. I will look at the camp site, imagine where to place your trailer, so others can make the turn around as well, get parked and detach. Getting into the site is easier than the getting out. It is just a little bit of planning ahead and maybe a sage brush will get a bit of attention in the process.

The other site has a steeper access to the turnoff, but room to turn around once you are setting up to detach the trailer.

I will look this main site over on the June 15th Preplanning trip. Anyone longer than 25 feet could pull into the area first, turn around, back up, detach the trailer, move the tow vehicle so everyone else can turn around. That is what I am thinking right now. Some may want to stay longer than others, so getting pointed in the right direction is best for everyone by having a clear exit out onto the main road.

It is not that the open area is too small. It is the sage brush scattered around that can be in the way. The 22 foot Interstates will find all of this of no consequence and have numerous options.

If someone has SOLAR, let Maggie know as you would also want to get out into the open area. One way or another, everyone will find a spot in the 1,000,000 acres. My vision is that everyone can be at the same site at the same time.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #97
Shelly and Richard

1973 27' Overlander
1959 24' Tradewind
Kopperl , Texas
We have solar, and will want at least a partly sunny spot. We always used to look for nice shady spots, and it still seems strange to us to want to park in the sun. We stayed in Glacier for four days last year, parked in almost full shade, and our batteries only got down to 85%.
traveluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #98
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
Quote:
Hi Ray,

Laura & Tony

One thing to be aware of with you EB are the steps. We went on some BLM land near Saddle Mt. in Az, SW of Tonopah. No problem going in to camp, did drag the back of the trailer. Coming out the steps did catch going through a shallow wash that didn't bother them going in. They are held on with 4-5/16" bolts. Easy enough to remove.

Cheers, John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Seems our pipe dream of joining you in July will not come to fruition. Daughter, son in law and grands will be moving in with us for a couple of months while their new house gets finished. That is the weekend they're moving in and although we'd like to bow out on helping them move in July well do the right thing instead. ;o) ;o(

Always next time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
2010 22' Interstate
Carol Stream , Illinois
Ray,
The trip sounds great. I wanted to participate but this year June and July won't work for me anymore. Do you have a fall trip planned?
Thanks for doing this. Sounds like everyone is going to have a great time.
John Millner is offline   Reply With Quote